Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Kitchen electric knife sharpener

I sharpen my knives by hand but many people have asked me about getting
an electric knife sharpener, especially as a Christmas gift for someone.
I have no experience, any suggestions? A lot of the foodie people
have descent cutlery but can only touch them up a bit. People ask about
sharpening serrated blades too. The only way I know is the hard way.
'Tis the season!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
I sharpen my knives by hand but many people have asked me about
getting an electric knife sharpener, especially as a Christmas gift
for someone. I have no experience, any suggestions? A lot of the
foodie people have descent cutlery but can only touch them up a bit.
People ask
about sharpening serrated blades too. The only way I know is the
hard way. 'Tis the season!

The only faster way to ruin a good knife is to use a bench grinder . Buy 'em
a set of the diamond hone "stones" (actually a piece of coated sheet metal
bonded to a piece of PE) and an instructional video .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, November 17, 2015 at 12:54:33 PM UTC-5, Tom Gardner wrote:
I sharpen my knives by hand but many people have asked me about getting
an electric knife sharpener, especially as a Christmas gift for someone.
I have no experience, any suggestions? A lot of the foodie people
have descent cutlery but can only touch them up a bit. People ask about
sharpening serrated blades too. The only way I know is the hard way.
'Tis the season!

Chef's choice http://goo.gl/qU3bpW makes some pretty good sharpeners, though I have abandoned mine for a 1x30 belt sander with 220 grit and leather (charged white compound) belts. I do have belts going up to something over 1000 grit, but for the extra work, it just doesn't make enough difference in the kitchen.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" on Tue, 17 Nov 2015 12:18:31 -0600
Tom Gardner wrote:
I sharpen my knives by hand but many people have asked me about
getting an electric knife sharpener, especially as a Christmas gift
for someone. I have no experience, any suggestions? A lot of the
foodie people have descent cutlery but can only touch them up a bit.
People ask
about sharpening serrated blades too. The only way I know is the
hard way. 'Tis the season!

The only faster way to ruin a good knife is to use a bench grinder . Buy 'em
a set of the diamond hone "stones" (actually a piece of coated sheet metal
bonded to a piece of PE) and an instructional video .

Pretty much. Even the electric sharpeners - not such a good idea.
Best bet is a set of old fashioned Arkansas stones, and you then touch
them up with either a steel, or a ceramic rod (bottom of a coffee cup
works too).
The Tungsten Carbide sharpeners are better than the electric ones.

cheers

--
pyotr filipivich
The question was asked: "Is Hindsight overrated?"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 12:54:25 -0500, Tom Gardner
wrote:

I sharpen my knives by hand but many people have asked me about getting
an electric knife sharpener, especially as a Christmas gift for someone.
I have no experience, any suggestions? A lot of the foodie people
have descent cutlery but can only touch them up a bit. People ask about
sharpening serrated blades too. The only way I know is the hard way.
'Tis the season!

Most of the electric ones have one big problem: they grind a hollow
from the heel of the knife out toward the belly. If the knife has a
bolster or a ricasso (many kitchen knives do), it gets worse.

Knives I inherited from my mother have that hollow. On a chopper, it
makes the knife completely useless. I use bench stones on my own
knives to avoid it.

Good luck. If you find a good electric sharpener that doesn't grind
that hollow, let us know.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I sharpen my knives by hand but many people have asked me about getting
an electric knife sharpener, especially as a Christmas gift for someone.
I have no experience, any suggestions? A lot of the foodie people
have descent cutlery but can only touch them up a bit. People ask about
sharpening serrated blades too. The only way I know is the hard way.
'Tis the season!

Most of the electric ones have one big problem: they grind a hollow
from the heel of the knife out toward the belly. If the knife has a
bolster or a ricasso (many kitchen knives do), it gets worse.

Knives I inherited from my mother have that hollow. On a chopper, it
makes the knife completely useless. I use bench stones on my own
knives to avoid it.

Good luck. If you find a good electric sharpener that doesn't grind
that hollow, let us know.

I once tried to teach my brother how to sharpen a knife from butter
knife to scalpel. He didn't have the patience or the "feel". you'd be
surprised that people just buy new knives when they can't cut stuff
anymore. A parade of cheap knives rather than a few good ones well
cared for. I wonder why I have to carve everything when I'm a guest...I
know to bring my knives! Probably the only reason I get invited
anywhere for holidays.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
I sharpen my knives by hand but many people have asked me about
getting an electric knife sharpener, especially as a Christmas gift
for someone. I have no experience, any suggestions? A lot of the
foodie people have descent cutlery but can only touch them up a bit.
People ask
about sharpening serrated blades too. The only way I know is the
hard way. 'Tis the season!

The only faster way to ruin a good knife is to use a bench grinder . Buy 'em
a set of the diamond hone "stones" (actually a piece of coated sheet metal
bonded to a piece of PE) and an instructional video .

That may not do the trick either. I'm good with tools but never ever had
luck with any of those Lansky type sharpeners, even with the jigs, ever.
Got sharpening books and stuff like that and still, no dice.

Did have good luck with a Tormek system, been using that ever since. I
think the leather stroping wheel is the key to that machine and why it
works so well. You don't have to worry about is there a burr and how to
break it off at the right time and all that jazz.

Unless the person is really excited about wasting hours sharpening a knife
they care about, it just doesn't sound like stones or a special kit is
great gift. I just collect dull knives from friends and sharpen then all
at once a year or so. It's easiest for everybody.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message ...

I sharpen my knives by hand but many people have asked me about getting
an electric knife sharpener, especially as a Christmas gift for someone.
I have no experience, any suggestions? A lot of the foodie people
have descent cutlery but can only touch them up a bit. People ask about
sharpening serrated blades too. The only way I know is the hard way.
'Tis the season!

My favorite cooking shows, America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country (same
crew), did a review of knife sharpeners a few months ago. Watch the video
at:
http://www.cooksillustrated.com/vide...arch_results_1
They have always preferred a sharper "Japanese" 15 degree angle per side,
vs. a blunter "European" 20 or 22 degrees, and say that in the last few
years basically everyone has come around to the 15 degree angle. Their
favorite 15 degree electric sharpener is the Chef's Choice Trizor XV, about
$150, with an equivalent 20 degree model also available and another Chef's
Choice model a best value buy at $80. Both use diamond hones and have very
good guides to keep the blade in position, resulting in a very smooth
uniform edge. I've never used either but they do a really good job in their
tests so I think these are at least worth a look. I don't know if they
address the other poster's complaint of curving near the bolster on knives
with a bolster, but I kind of doubt it from watching the blade go through
the sharpener in the video. Their favorite chef's knife is the Victorinox
Fibrox (mentioned in the video if I misspelled that). It has won all of
their tests of knives up to $150 or more for many years now and is only
about $30. It does not have a bolster limiting sharpener access to the
handle end of the cutting edge, so no issues with it not staying straight.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ive purchased my wife and others a very impressive number of very high
quality kitchen knives at the various second hand stores over the
years...each and every one of them was dull as a piece of cardboard.
Most of them sharpened very nicely inside of a couple minutes using
stones or crock sticks..something the previous owners were unable to
do..or not smart enough to do. Now Ive seen a number of good quality
knives at yard sales..after the homeowner passed away...the blades
sharpened to half their size over the years..by very smart owners.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

================================================= ============

[...]

I actually have 2 of those blades..or have had 2 of those. Ill check
the kitchen sets

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Their favorite chef's knife is the Victorinox
Fibrox (mentioned in the video if I misspelled that). It has won all of
their tests of knives up to $150 or more for many years now and is only
about $30. It does not have a bolster limiting sharpener access to the
handle end of the cutting edge, so no issues with it not staying straight.

==============
FWIW

Victorinox Fibrox is indeed a very high quality knife for
use.
http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swi.../dp/B008M5U1C2

I have found that the knives and other utensils available
through the restaurant supply stores tend to be much better
value, and the NSF grades seem to be equal to the high
prices show pieces, except for possibly a skilled sushi
chef. Shipping is the drawback as these are commercial
sites and it is unlikely the typical homeowner will meet the
free shipping minimum. I've dealt with these firms with
complete satisfaction.

https://www.katom.com/
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/
http://www.wasserstrom.com/

For food prep I am very satisfied with the basic Dexter,
Mercer and Mundial knives, which hold very good edges and
can be easily resharpened. For example
http://www.wasserstrom.com/restauran...Product_112612
https://www.katom.com/132-M22608.html
http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/...8/p536087.aspx
The shorter 6 and 8 inch blades are generally better for
home use.

For sharpening I have had good luck with the Lansky system.
Although the basic kit works well, you will most likely want
to get the finer stones to get the best possible edge.
http://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Deluxe-...sky+sharpeners
The guide rods are soft easily bent steel wire but are
serviceable. You can re contour existing 22 degree blades
to 15 degree without much problem, and it is possible to
have a 22 degree edge near the handle, with a 15 degree edge
toward the tip.
The Lansky kit will resharpen scalloped edge blades [special
stone included in many of their kits], but it is a royal
pain and very time consuming.

A 10X loupe and black or blue magic marker are a big help in
getting the perfect edge.

A ton of how-to videos for the Lansky kit with hints and
tips on You-Tube. Sample
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n97hZbHtY2I

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, November 17, 2015 at 4:33:24 PM UTC-5, Carl Ijames wrote:

Their
favorite 15 degree electric sharpener is the Chef's Choice Trizor XV, about
$150, with an equivalent 20 degree model also available and another Chef's
Choice model a best value buy at $80.
-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Before running off and spending $150 , think about who uses a knife sharpener and their habits. I picked up a Chef's Choice sharpener. It was at a tag sale or thrift store. I do not remember which. Anyway it is unused on a shelf in the garage, and the cheap Harbor Freight sharpener with crossed ceramic rods lives in a kitchen drawer. Because it is quicker to sharpen a knife with the simple non electric sharpener than it is to get the electric sharpener out and plug it in.

The electric sharpener would be good for sharpening a bunch of knives, but my wife only sharpens one knife at a time.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

======

My contribution to family holiday dinners is to sharpen the knives. A
fine-cut file is enough to quickly reshape the edge on most of them.
Only the blades that can't be filed get ~15 degree stoning, I sharpen
the softer filed ones like a hatchet.

The sound pitch is slightly different when the stone is cutting the
edge versus smoothing the rounded bevel further back.

-jsw

Electric Knife Sharpener for sale!! Keith D. Lee[_2_] Electronics Repair 0 August 4th 11 01:36 AM
knife sharpener dilbert firestorm Home Repair 3 April 28th 11 02:45 PM
Kitchen Knife Sharpener. Best type? Vortex3 UK diy 12 November 25th 08 10:05 AM
knife sharpener?? edb Home Repair 14 November 18th 06 09:35 PM
Knife-blade sharpener... Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 11 January 23rd 06 03:44 PM