Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Kitchen electric knife sharpener

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 12:54:25 -0500, Tom Gardner
wrote:

I sharpen my knives by hand but many people have asked me about getting
an electric knife sharpener, especially as a Christmas gift for someone.
I have no experience, any suggestions? A lot of the foodie people
have descent cutlery but can only touch them up a bit. People ask about
sharpening serrated blades too. The only way I know is the hard way.
'Tis the season!

Most of the electric ones have one big problem: they grind a hollow
from the heel of the knife out toward the belly. If the knife has a
bolster or a ricasso (many kitchen knives do), it gets worse.

Knives I inherited from my mother have that hollow. On a chopper, it
makes the knife completely useless. I use bench stones on my own
knives to avoid it.

Good luck. If you find a good electric sharpener that doesn't grind
that hollow, let us know.

--
Ed Huntress