Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Kitchen electric knife sharpener

Terry Coombs wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
I sharpen my knives by hand but many people have asked me about
getting an electric knife sharpener, especially as a Christmas gift
for someone. I have no experience, any suggestions? A lot of the
foodie people have descent cutlery but can only touch them up a bit.
People ask
about sharpening serrated blades too. The only way I know is the
hard way. 'Tis the season!

The only faster way to ruin a good knife is to use a bench grinder . Buy 'em
a set of the diamond hone "stones" (actually a piece of coated sheet metal
bonded to a piece of PE) and an instructional video .

That may not do the trick either. I'm good with tools but never ever had
luck with any of those Lansky type sharpeners, even with the jigs, ever.
Got sharpening books and stuff like that and still, no dice.

Did have good luck with a Tormek system, been using that ever since. I
think the leather stroping wheel is the key to that machine and why it
works so well. You don't have to worry about is there a burr and how to
break it off at the right time and all that jazz.

Unless the person is really excited about wasting hours sharpening a knife
they care about, it just doesn't sound like stones or a special kit is
great gift. I just collect dull knives from friends and sharpen then all
at once a year or so. It's easiest for everybody.