Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Kitchen electric knife sharpener

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 16:32:34 -0500, "Carl Ijames"
wrote:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message ...

I sharpen my knives by hand but many people have asked me about getting
an electric knife sharpener, especially as a Christmas gift for someone.
I have no experience, any suggestions? A lot of the foodie people
have descent cutlery but can only touch them up a bit. People ask about
sharpening serrated blades too. The only way I know is the hard way.
'Tis the season!

================================================= ============

My favorite cooking shows, America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country (same
crew), did a review of knife sharpeners a few months ago. Watch the video
at:
http://www.cooksillustrated.com/vide...arch_results_1
They have always preferred a sharper "Japanese" 15 degree angle per side,
vs. a blunter "European" 20 or 22 degrees, and say that in the last few
years basically everyone has come around to the 15 degree angle. Their
favorite 15 degree electric sharpener is the Chef's Choice Trizor XV, about
$150, with an equivalent 20 degree model also available and another Chef's
Choice model a best value buy at $80. Both use diamond hones and have very
good guides to keep the blade in position, resulting in a very smooth
uniform edge. I've never used either but they do a really good job in their
tests so I think these are at least worth a look. I don't know if they
address the other poster's complaint of curving near the bolster on knives
with a bolster, but I kind of doubt it from watching the blade go through
the sharpener in the video. Their favorite chef's knife is the Victorinox
Fibrox (mentioned in the video if I misspelled that). It has won all of
their tests of knives up to $150 or more for many years now and is only
about $30. It does not have a bolster limiting sharpener access to the
handle end of the cutting edge, so no issues with it not staying straight.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

I actually have 2 of those blades..or have had 2 of those. Ill check
the kitchen sets

Gunner