Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default Knife-blade sharpener...

Awl--

Has anyone seen this, or have one?
A motorized, low rpm white wide wheel, half-immersed in water/coolant, for
blade sharpening. Also poss. useful for delicate deburring, etc.

Saw one of these a few years ago, mebbe at HD, sorta cheap, but not cheap
enough to buy on a whim, iirc.
Regret not having bought one, as it looked decently made, proly pretty
useful for blades, which I'm starting to accumulate.

Generic name of this? Sources?
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking

wen wet wheel

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Proc. Violated inquired about knife sharpeners:

I have the one Harbor Freight sells. I got it about 2 years ago and it
works fine.Generically they are called wet/dry grinders.
I payed around 40 bucks for mine on sale but Delta sells one
(DEL-23700D). Its over 200 bucks in the J&L Industrial Suppy catalog.

Good Luck
Harleyon

"P.E.T.A. members are more violently opposed to fur than leather because
there lifes are less in danger harrassing old,rich women than outlaw
bikers"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ive got one its a craftsman, model 146-66995 kind of weak, but good
for kitchen knives and
dosent take much room. It says ( hollow grinder, sharpen & honer ) it
does a good job of
resharpening & honing but not powerfull enough to grind much. I opened
up the 8" black plastic
case and found a sewing machine motor geared way down with a belt. Its
15 years old or more
so it may be out of production, I got it used but new it was less than
40 bucks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Buy_Sell

I sharpen my knives with the bottom of a coffee cup.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I sharpen for a living and I'll be damned if I'll walk down to the shop
from the kitchen- I use the coffee cup bottom too, or a porcelain dick
from the old knob and tube wiring.

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 20:48:51 -0500, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

Awl--

Has anyone seen this, or have one?
A motorized, low rpm white wide wheel, half-immersed in water/coolant, for
blade sharpening. Also poss. useful for delicate deburring, etc.

Saw one of these a few years ago, mebbe at HD, sorta cheap, but not cheap
enough to buy on a whim, iirc.
Regret not having bought one, as it looked decently made, proly pretty
useful for blades, which I'm starting to accumulate.

Generic name of this? Sources?

Long, long ago the folks that made the lenses for your glasses
(used to be shops in most citys) had similar equipment.
The grinder used to bevel the edges & shape the outside of
the lenses to fit the frames ....
If anyone knows the name there are probably used ones someplace.
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Yeah, before the optical PVs known as Pearle Vision (PV, for real! g) and
other popular corPirate franchises knocked these local guys out of their
stores and livings.
iirc, glasses were real cheap in those days. These effing corpirate
franchises proly quadrupled the prices of glasses in but a cupla years.
So yeah, there ought to be a few of these grinders, assuming they've
physically survived. Proly real nice units, too.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
wrote:

Awl--

Has anyone seen this, or have one?
A motorized, low rpm white wide wheel, half-immersed in water/coolant, for
blade sharpening. Also poss. useful for delicate deburring, etc.

Saw one of these a few years ago, mebbe at HD, sorta cheap, but not cheap
enough to buy on a whim, iirc.
Regret not having bought one, as it looked decently made, proly pretty
useful for blades, which I'm starting to accumulate.

Generic name of this? Sources?

Long, long ago the folks that made the lenses for your glasses
(used to be shops in most citys) had similar equipment.
The grinder used to bevel the edges & shape the outside of
the lenses to fit the frames ....
If anyone knows the name there are probably used ones someplace.
--
Cliff

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 16 Jan 2006 20:15:00 -0800, "Buy_Sell"
wrote:

I sharpen my knives with the bottom of a coffee cup.

I use crock sticks..which are about the bees knees for most sharpening
chores, unless you are trying to make one from a hacksaw blade.

http://www.dealtime.com/xPO-Lansky_S...ER_by_ LANSKY

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Jan Nielsen

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 03:31:36 -0500, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

So yeah, there ought to be a few of these grinders, assuming they've
physically survived. Proly real nice units, too.

Maybe something less fancy:

http://scantool.fe1.tangora.com/page115.aspx

Googling "wet grinder" comes up with some interesting links. This one must be
right up John S's ally: http://www.chennaiimports.com/pvg_grinder.htm
--
- JN -

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Buy_Sell

Lee Valley sells this really good diamond hone steel.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43072,43079

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve

I'll second the crock sticks - great for knives since the angles are
pre-set by the holes in the holder. It is hard to scratch up the sides
of your nice knives. It is a bit tricky for a large sweep at the point
of some of my knives but that is true of most methods.
I did a cheap samauri sword for a friend by clamping the holder in my
wood vise and standing 3ft. away. Not one scratch on it and sharp
(cheap steel so sharp for one cut only).
-Steve