Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Miniature end mill help

Guys, please help me find some end mills with the following specs;

Material: HSS
Flutes: 2
Cutting diameter: 1/8"
Shank diameter: 3/16"
Other: Center cutting - preferably double ended - less than $5.00 each

I do have the above in end mill sets but need several of this one size. This is for cutting 1/16" 6061/6063 aluminum.

Searched Ebay and Aliexpress to no avail. Can get cheap (and do have) solid carbide 1/8" shank ones but really prefer 3/16" shank HSS.

Thanks!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 8:16:41 AM UTC-7, oparr wrote:
Guys, please help me find some end mills with the following specs;

Material: HSS
Flutes: 2
Cutting diameter: 1/8"
Shank diameter: 3/16"
Other: Center cutting - preferably double ended - less than $5.00 each

I do have the above in end mill sets but need several of this one size. This is for cutting 1/16" 6061/6063 aluminum.

Searched Ebay and Aliexpress to no avail. Can get cheap (and do have) solid carbide 1/8" shank ones but really prefer 3/16" shank HSS.

Thanks!

This is who I deal with. All carbide:

http://www.harveytool.com/cat/Signat...ducts_177.aspx
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 11:56:15 AM UTC-4, jon_banquer wrote:
This is who I deal with. All carbide:

http://www.harveytool.com/cat/Signat...ducts_177.aspx

Only 1/8" shank diameter and on the pricy side. Thanks anyway.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"oparr" wrote in message
On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 11:56:15 AM UTC-4, jon_banquer wrote:
This is who I deal with. All carbide:

http://www.harveytool.com/cat/Signat...ducts_177.aspx

Only 1/8" shank diameter and on the pricy side. Thanks anyway.

To be fair, (and I geez can't believe I am agreeing with jonnie) the Harvey
tool end mills are really good stuff. I think they make up for their price
in reduced cutter breakage. I don't buy all Harvey too, but they make up a
large percentage of my specialty stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in
:

To be fair, (and I geez can't believe I am agreeing with jonnie) the
Harvey tool end mills are really good stuff.

You don't _really_ believe that jon-off has actually evaluated them
himself, do you? He's a 'web spider', sucking up all he can from other
peoples' experience, and has no hands-on knowledge of anything.

OTOH... Harvey bits are good ones! G

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 12:51:36 PM UTC-7, Uncle Loud lied:

The Usual Uncle Loud lies snipped

Nothing to respond to.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 12:35:57 PM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:
"oparr" wrote in message
On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 11:56:15 AM UTC-4, jon_banquer wrote:
This is who I deal with. All carbide:

http://www.harveytool.com/cat/Signat...ducts_177.aspx

Only 1/8" shank diameter and on the pricy side. Thanks anyway.

To be fair, (and I geez can't believe I am agreeing with jonnie) the Harvey
tool end mills are really good stuff. I think they make up for their price
in reduced cutter breakage. I don't buy all Harvey too, but they make up a
large percentage of my specialty stuff.

DumbBlonde finally gets it right for once but then even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 09:53:19 -0700 (PDT), oparr
wrote:

On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 11:56:15 AM UTC-4, jon_banquer wrote:
This is who I deal with. All carbide:

http://www.harveytool.com/cat/Signat...ducts_177.aspx

Only 1/8" shank diameter and on the pricy side. Thanks anyway.

3/16 is fairly uncommon..and you are NOT going to find em for $5 each
that are sharp enough to cut something stiffer than bubblegum. A new
one is about $50. And they break easy.

Ask the guys at a mill oriented machine shop. Bring em in a dozen
donuts and tell em what you are trying to do.

You might..might have luck if you find a machine tool dealer..ask him
for a few pounds of the smallest endmills that they scraped off the
machines they bought.

Shrug

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 22:29:02 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Rats, All way to short.
I'm milling plastic. Use D drills and mills.

Martin

If you are milling plastic..you dont need carbide, unless they are
something like MolyD Delrin..and even then its questionable

There has to be a cutter and tool grinder in your vicinity. Have him
make you up a few cutters. Its not hard and you can spec anything
special you want. Might cost you $35-50 for the first one (set up)
but the rest will be cheaper.

And they can make them any length you require. I had some drills made
up for one of my people last year.... .259x 11"

GUnner

"oparr" wrote in message
On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 11:56:15 AM UTC-4, jon_banquer wrote:
This is who I deal with. All carbide:

http://www.harveytool.com/cat/Signat...ducts_177.aspx

Only 1/8" shank diameter and on the pricy side. Thanks anyway.

To be fair, (and I geez can't believe I am agreeing with jonnie) the
Harvey tool end mills are really good stuff. I think they make up for
their price in reduced cutter breakage. I don't buy all Harvey too, but
they make up a large percentage of my specialty stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 11:16:41 AM UTC-4, oparr wrote:
Guys, please help me find some end mills with the following specs;

Material: HSS
Flutes: 2
Cutting diameter: 1/8"
Shank diameter: 3/16"
Other: Center cutting - preferably double ended - less than $5.00 each

I do have the above in end mill sets but need several of this one size. This is for cutting 1/16" 6061/6063 aluminum.

Searched Ebay and Aliexpress to no avail. Can get cheap (and do have) solid carbide 1/8" shank ones but really prefer 3/16" shank HSS.

Thanks!

There's a tona**** he http://www.ebay.com/bhp/1-8-end-mill
Mostly 1/8 shank, but shouldn't be a problem to make a bushing iffin u really need a 3/16 shank.
Some of it works out to 80c ea, carbide. Yeah, u want HSS and alladat, but sheeit, 80c????

Also, 4 fl ought to be ok for 1/16 sheet. If u got cnc, I'd just move up/down in Z while cutting in X, to spread the chip load, if that would even be nec.

Cheapest at MSC is $12-15.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 12:53:36 AM UTC-4, Grokman Grokman wrote:
There's a tona**** he http://www.ebay.com/bhp/1-8-end-mill
Mostly 1/8 shank, but shouldn't be a problem to make a bushing iffin u really need a 3/16 shank.
Some of it works out to 80c ea, carbide. Yeah, u want HSS and alladat, but sheeit, 80c????

Also, 4 fl ought to be ok for 1/16 sheet. If u got cnc, I'd just move up/down in Z while cutting in X, to spread the chip load, if that would even be nec.

Cheapest at MSC is $12-15.

Yeah, have a few 1/8" shank carbides from Ebay, but tool holder changes are a PITA. My "runs" incorporate 1/16" and 1/8" EMs along with #2 center drills for countersinking (CNC countersinking metal using EM holder is nirvana) and already have several of these with 3/16" shank except for 1/8" EMs. Have a few from 3/16" shank miniature sets that were reasonably priced but individual ones aren't commonplace it seems.

MIC and me are friends.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here's a link to the miniature sets mentioned;

http://lmscnc.com/2548

And here's the only individual 2 flute HSS 1/8" they sell;

http://lmscnc.com/5140

Think it's reasonable to assume that someone, somewhere, has something similarly priced in 3/16" shank.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

oparr wrote:

Guys, please help me find some end mills with the following specs;

Material: HSS
Flutes: 2
Cutting diameter: 1/8"
Shank diameter: 3/16"
Other: Center cutting - preferably double ended - less than $5.00 each

I do have the above in end mill sets but need several of this one size.
This is for cutting 1/16" 6061/6063 aluminum.

Why do you want to run small HSS end mills? They are horrible. I use a lot
of 1/8" solid carbide end mills, they work WAY better than HSS. You can
watch the tip of the small HSS enc mills wandering around, the tool
deflection can equal the tip diameter in some cases. Makes horribly
inaccurate work.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 2:04:40 PM UTC-4, Jon Elson wrote:
Why do you want to run small HSS end mills? They are horrible. I use a lot
of 1/8" solid carbide end mills, they work WAY better than HSS. You can
watch the tip of the small HSS enc mills wandering around, the tool
deflection can equal the tip diameter in some cases. Makes horribly
inaccurate work.

Jon

Nothing like that happens here. LOL!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 12:02:35 PM UTC-7, oparr wrote:
On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 2:04:40 PM UTC-4, Jon Elson wrote:
Why do you want to run small HSS end mills? They are horrible. I use a lot
of 1/8" solid carbide end mills, they work WAY better than HSS. You can
watch the tip of the small HSS enc mills wandering around, the tool
deflection can equal the tip diameter in some cases. Makes horribly
inaccurate work.

Jon

Nothing like that happens here. LOL!

You're tripping over a dollar to get to a penny. If you can't justify the cost of carbide don't take/don't do the job.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 3:33:46 PM UTC-4, jon_banquer wrote:
You're tripping over a dollar to get to a penny. If you can't justify the cost of carbide don't take/don't do the job.

Dime a dozen on Ebay. Membership in the "carbide club" is cheap.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 1:10:07 PM UTC-7, oparr wrote:
On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 3:33:46 PM UTC-4, jon_banquer wrote:
You're tripping over a dollar to get to a penny. If you can't justify the cost of carbide don't take/don't do the job.

Dime a dozen on Ebay. Membership in the "carbide club" is cheap.

Wrong. Not all carbide is the same. There are different grades of carbide.

Additionally, not all carbide end mills are made (ground) the same way. There is a reason that two people backed up what I first said about Harvey Tool.

Jon Elson gave you good advice about miniature HSS end mills. Suggest you follow it and ignore the bull**** Mark Wieber posted about not needing carbide. Mark Wieber isn't a machinist. He's a hack/butcher who lies frequently.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 5:53:01 PM UTC-4, jon_banquer wrote:
Wrong. Not all carbide is the same. There are different grades of carbide.

Additionally, not all carbide end mills are made (ground) the same way. There is a reason that two people backed up what I first said about Harvey Tool.

Jon Elson gave you good advice about miniature HSS end mills. Suggest you follow it and ignore the bull**** Mark Wieber posted about not needing carbide. Mark Wieber isn't a machinist. He's a hack/butcher who lies frequently.

You kids are a waste of time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 3:54:54 PM UTC-7, oparr wrote:

You kids are a waste of time.

A waste of time is using HSS miniature end mills. They flex like crazy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 4:06:43 PM UTC-7, Uncle Loud lied:

The usual Uncle Loud lies snipped

Nothing to respond to.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 7:06:39 PM UTC-4, jon_banquer wrote:

You kids are a waste of time.

A waste of time is using HSS miniature end mills. They flex like crazy.

http://zero-divide.net/?page=FSWizard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

oparr fired this volley in news:f6c37009-2d92-4920-
:

http://zero-divide.net/?page=FSWizard

Oh, MY! You AREN'T challenging hisself's "most expert witness", are you?

You mean "like crazy" only defines him, and not what _actual_cutters_ do in
_actual_service_? G

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 13:05:45 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

oparr wrote:

Guys, please help me find some end mills with the following specs;

Material: HSS
Flutes: 2
Cutting diameter: 1/8"
Shank diameter: 3/16"
Other: Center cutting - preferably double ended - less than $5.00 each

I do have the above in end mill sets but need several of this one size.
This is for cutting 1/16" 6061/6063 aluminum.

Why do you want to run small HSS end mills? They are horrible. I use a lot
of 1/8" solid carbide end mills, they work WAY better than HSS. You can
watch the tip of the small HSS enc mills wandering around, the tool
deflection can equal the tip diameter in some cases. Makes horribly
inaccurate work.

I'm a newb to milling, but I'm certain that if you push a small
diameter milling bit to deflect by more than its own diameter, you're
pushing it -way- beyond the proper feed speed. Slow 'er down, duuuude.

--
The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed
until they try to take it. --Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

I'm a newb to milling, but I'm certain that if you push a small
diameter milling bit to deflect by more than its own diameter, you're
pushing it -way- beyond the proper feed speed. Slow 'er down, duuuude.

It was a stupid, uninformed comment, Larry. You DON'T push endmills to
deflect by their own diameter, or they break... period.

That is, unless, like the poster's machine, the spindle or Z slide is so
sloppy that IT deflects more than an 1/8" under load! G

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 4:26:34 PM UTC-7, oparr wrote:
On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 7:06:39 PM UTC-4, jon_banquer wrote:

You kids are a waste of time.

A waste of time is using HSS miniature end mills. They flex like crazy.

http://zero-divide.net/?page=FSWizard

You believe the software. I'll believe my decades of experience. Author of the program you linked to is a member of my LinkedIn group:

CADCAM Technology Leaders.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 4:31:43 PM UTC-7, Uncle Loud continued to make a fool out of himself:

Uncle Load bull**** snipped

Nothing to respond to.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 8:02:53 PM UTC-4, jon_banquer wrote:
You believe the software. I'll believe my decades of experience. Author of the program you linked to is a member of my LinkedIn group:

CADCAM Technology Leaders.

Name dropping and acquaintances will get you nowhere. You're just a kid.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 7:42:38 PM UTC-4, Larry Jaques wrote:

I'm a newb to milling, but I'm certain that if you push a small
diameter milling bit to deflect by more than its own diameter, you're
pushing it -way- beyond the proper feed speed. Slow 'er down, duuuude.

I guess every thread needs a little comic relief. If you do something dumb like that with carbide it'll just snap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 5:13:57 PM UTC-7, oparr wrote:

Name dropping and acquaintances will get you nowhere. You're just a kid.

Correction:

Nowhere is where you are trying to use 1/8" HSS end mills.

That's were you will stay until you stop trying to trip over a dollar to get to a penny.

I'm 53 years old. Thanks for the compliment Grandpa.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

oparr wrote:

[...]

If you are pushing a carbide endmill and have more than a grand or so
deflection..you have a broken endmill. They are tough..but they are
brittle as hell.

Which is why good grades of carbide..like those from Harvey..cost more
than $4.50 HSS from the Hobbyshack

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

oparr wrote:

[...]

Correction..more than a couple tenths deflection with carbide...Snap!!

Which is why good grades of carbide..like those from Harvey..cost more
than $4.50 HSS from the Hobbyshack

Gunner

Gunner, just woke up from an afternoon nap..its 112F outside and he
didnt do anything outside all day.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 18:54:32 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

I'm a newb to milling, but I'm certain that if you push a small
diameter milling bit to deflect by more than its own diameter, you're
pushing it -way- beyond the proper feed speed. Slow 'er down, duuuude.

It was a stupid, uninformed comment, Larry. You DON'T push endmills to
deflect by their own diameter, or they break... period.

That is, unless, like the poster's machine, the spindle or Z slide is so
sloppy that IT deflects more than an 1/8" under load! G

Are you gonna sit there and take that, Jon? g

--
The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed
until they try to take it. --Thomas Jefferson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

Are you gonna sit there and take that, Jon? g

Heh! Wouldn't matter. I have had that moron blocked for at least a year,
now. The only time I see his brainless natter is when folks quote him! G

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 6:51:06 PM UTC-7, Uncle Loud lied:

Uncle Loud lies snipped

Nothing to respond to.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 6:30:39 PM UTC-7, Larry Jackass failed:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 11:16:41 AM UTC-4, oparr wrote:
Guys, please help me find some end mills with the following specs;

Material: HSS
Flutes: 2
Cutting diameter: 1/8"
Shank diameter: 3/16"
Other: Center cutting - preferably double ended - less than $5.00 each

I do have the above in end mill sets but need several of this one size. This is for cutting 1/16" 6061/6063 aluminum.

Searched Ebay and Aliexpress to no avail. Can get cheap (and do have) solid carbide 1/8" shank ones but really prefer 3/16" shank HSS.

Thanks!

Those ems on ebay at 10 for $8 ( 80c each) ends the debate for Moi!
Sheeit, it's hard to find drills for 80c each!
For those prices, I'd try both carbide and HSS, see what works better.
Apropos of jb on cheap carbide, I've used brazed carbide lathe tools that were far worse than HSS.

But with 1/16 6061, sheeit, you could use aviation shears, or a Kleintool nibbler!! lol
My biggest concern wouldn't be speed, longevity, or such, just burrs. If I could find an em that made deburring easier, that's the one I'd use.

And if I really needed a 3/16 shank, I'd just make a bunch of adapter bushings.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Grokman Grokman fired this volley in
:

If I could find an em that made deburring easier, that's the one I'd
use.

If you can find an end mill that makes a burr bad enough to be concerned
about, then it's either dull or being used at the wrong speeds'n'feeds.

LLoyd