Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grokman Grokman Grokman Grokman is offline

Default Miniature end mill help

On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 11:16:41 AM UTC-4, oparr wrote:
Guys, please help me find some end mills with the following specs;

Material: HSS
Flutes: 2
Cutting diameter: 1/8"
Shank diameter: 3/16"
Other: Center cutting - preferably double ended - less than $5.00 each

I do have the above in end mill sets but need several of this one size. This is for cutting 1/16" 6061/6063 aluminum.

Searched Ebay and Aliexpress to no avail. Can get cheap (and do have) solid carbide 1/8" shank ones but really prefer 3/16" shank HSS.

Thanks!

Those ems on ebay at 10 for $8 ( 80c each) ends the debate for Moi!
Sheeit, it's hard to find drills for 80c each!
For those prices, I'd try both carbide and HSS, see what works better.
Apropos of jb on cheap carbide, I've used brazed carbide lathe tools that were far worse than HSS.

But with 1/16 6061, sheeit, you could use aviation shears, or a Kleintool nibbler!! lol
My biggest concern wouldn't be speed, longevity, or such, just burrs. If I could find an em that made deburring easier, that's the one I'd use.

And if I really needed a 3/16 shank, I'd just make a bunch of adapter bushings.