Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default first light with the not really new Miller

About 16 months ago I purchased a Miller 211 MIG welder. It's been moving
from corner to corner waiting for the day it can finally be used.

The delays were caused by wiring issues, no gas, no real project, no metal
to work with, no time, no daylight etc. The bull**** finally came to an
end today.

Started work on a welding table, then of course it got too dark outside so
I had to stop after basically getting three legs put together. The legs
are just 36" tall 1-1/4 14 guage square tubing held together in a
rectangle with the same. Top is a 30x36 1/4 in plate that will get thrown
on top of that. I picked that size as being the limit of what can
reasonably be carried up and down stairs. The legs/frame are 24x30 so it
fits though the basement door and permits the top to overhang for easy
clamping to stuff.

It's nothing special by any means, but it is metalworking related.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 02:09:20 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

[...]

Bravo!! Lets see some pictures when tis done!

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-08-12, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Started work on a welding table, then of course it got too dark outside so
I had to stop after basically getting three legs put together. The legs
are just 36" tall 1-1/4 14 guage square tubing held together in a

Are you a very tall person? 36" may be a bit too high. Most people ask
for 30" high tables.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 9:15:35 AM UTC-4, Ignoramus28978 wrote:

Are you a very tall person? 36" may be a bit too high. Most people ask
for 30" high tables.

Good point. The height you weld at depends on the table height and the heighth of the part you are welding. I made a welding table for light work which had a column instead of four legs and the height was adjustable.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Are you a very tall person? 36" may be a bit too high. Most people
ask
for 30" high tables.

Good point. The height you weld at depends on the table height and
the heighth of the part you are welding. I made a welding table for
light work which had a column instead of four legs and the height
was adjustable.

Dan

I use a damaged sewer grate on a hydraulic stacker as a welding table
and adjust its height to wherever I can stand upright and hold my
hands steadiest.

Like this:
http://www.digitalbuyer.com/wesco-hy...Fc4XHwod1SgL6A

It's very handy for working on generators etc without having to squat
or kneel awkwardly.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-08-12, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Started work on a welding table, then of course it got too dark outside so
I had to stop after basically getting three legs put together. The legs
are just 36" tall 1-1/4 14 guage square tubing held together in a

Are you a very tall person? 36" may be a bit too high. Most people ask
for 30" high tables.

Not tall, but I intend to stand, and I figure if it's too high I can chop
it down. The reverse would be harder.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Are you a very tall person? 36" may be a bit too high. Most people ask
for 30" high tables.

Not tall, but I intend to stand, and I figure if it's too high I can chop
it down. The reverse would be harder.

You bought the best. After using other welders its only blue boxes for
me. Don't know how you waited that long to try your new toy. of course
I seldom go a week without welding something.

I'm olny 5'11" but find I have to sit on a stool to use a 30" high
table. Now i have two stools, dpending on whether I'm using the top or
bottom half of the bifocals

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend fired this volley in
:

You bought the best. After using other welders its only blue boxes for
me.

Yep! That old Syncrowave 300 I bought from Ig has just been the 'tits'.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-08-13, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Karl Townsend fired this volley in
:

You bought the best. After using other welders its only blue boxes for
me.

Yep! That old Syncrowave 300 I bought from Ig has just been the 'tits'.

These old Millers never die on you...

Glad I was of help...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Are you a very tall person? 36" may be a bit too high. Most people ask
for 30" high tables.

Not tall, but I intend to stand, and I figure if it's too high I can chop
it down. The reverse would be harder.

You bought the best. After using other welders its only blue boxes for
me. Don't know how you waited that long to try your new toy. of course
I seldom go a week without welding something.

It was sort of weird to use the same model at the welding school and
ignore the one at home. A fully equipped shop is more appealing to use
though.

I'm olny 5'11" but find I have to sit on a stool to use a 30" high
table. Now i have two stools, dpending on whether I'm using the top or
bottom half of the bifocals

I find I can't work at a 30" counter unless I'm sitting and even then they
feel too low. If you have to manuever stuff, a stool just becomes another
item in the way.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 16:42:46 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

My welding bench (4x9) is 32" tall

Im 6'3" tall

Gunner

Doug Miller Mike M Woodworking 3 September 22nd 11 08:06 PM
Miller Big 40 on trailer [email protected] Metalworking 1 August 10th 10 12:01 AM
Miller Dynasty DX GeoLane at PTD dot NET Metalworking 4 May 8th 10 03:49 AM
It's Miller Time Weird Al Perkoffovic Woodturning 0 February 28th 07 03:45 AM
Miller 210 cart chunk Metalworking 17 March 6th 05 05:08 AM