Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Clear vs black threading oil?

Is there any important reason not to use the clear version of Rigid threading oil for drilling/threading on my mill and/or lathe? I do not use flood coolant very often so most of the time I'm using a brush to apply to the work
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PCS PCS is offline

On Wednesday, March 11, 2015 at 11:46:32 AM UTC-4, Gerry wrote:
Is there any important reason not to use the clear version of Rigid threading oil for drilling/threading on my mill and/or lathe? I do not use flood coolant very often so most of the time I'm using a brush to apply to the work

A subject much akin to religion or politics...

Try Lard.

--
PaulS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 08:46:29 -0700 (PDT), Gerry
wrote:

Is there any important reason not to use the clear version of Rigid threading oil for drilling/threading on my mill and/or lathe? I do not use flood coolant very often so most of the time I'm using a brush to apply to the work

If you're speaking of the thick oil that Rigid sells for threading
pipes, manually or by machine, it's not very good for general
machining. It's meant for use at very low speeds and at the highest
pressures. It's too thick.

You'll do much better with a lighter oil made for machining. I use
mostly plain lard oil, which I've used for over 30 years, but there
are better oils. Look for a "straight" (also called "neat") oil if
you're applying it with a brush. Soluble (water-miscable) oils are not
made for that, although they'll work reasonably well. They're
formulated for cooling and are not very good lubricants. I was given
some by a manufacturer of the stuff (Master Chemical), who told me to
mix it very rich for use on my old South Bend, and it did the job. But
straight oils are better, IMO.

The hard part is finding them in small quantities. DoAll, Acculube,
Castrol, and several other companies make them. Petroleum-based,
lard-based, or vegetable-oil-based probably doesn't make much
difference.

If you're tapping by hand, use one of the cutting products made for
that -- Tap Magic, etc. They also sell cutting oils in small
quantities.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

When you say "lard oil", are you talking about the white stuff from the grocery store that used to me used for frying? Never messed with it but always figured it was a solid like Crisco. I would use the material in question for drilling large holes in steel mostly. I have other stuff that I use for tapping (TapMagic) and machining Tri-cool or WD40). Have used kerosine in the past but did not like the smell.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 14:59:39 -0700 (PDT), Gerry
wrote:

When you say "lard oil", are you talking about the white stuff from the grocery store that used to me used for frying? Never messed with it but always figured it was a solid like Crisco. I would use the material in question for drilling large holes in steel mostly. I have other stuff that I use for tapping (TapMagic) and machining Tri-cool or WD40). Have used kerosine in the past but did not like the smell.

Lard oil is oil, not grease. It is the oil expressed from solid lard;
what's left is mostly stearine, which is hard and waxy.

Lard oil was once a common commodity but you rarely see it used today
for anything other than cutting oil.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerry wrote:
When you say "lard oil", are you talking about the white stuff from
the grocery store that used to me used for frying? Never messed with
it but always figured it was a solid like Crisco. I would use the
material in question for drilling large holes in steel mostly. I have
other stuff that I use for tapping (TapMagic) and machining Tri-cool
or WD40). Have used kerosine in the past but did not like the smell.

I've used Crisco on the lathe . Brush it on the part , the heat of cutting
melts it . Made me hungry though .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 20:16:40 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Gerry wrote:
When you say "lard oil", are you talking about the white stuff from
the grocery store that used to me used for frying? Never messed with
it but always figured it was a solid like Crisco. I would use the
material in question for drilling large holes in steel mostly. I have
other stuff that I use for tapping (TapMagic) and machining Tri-cool
or WD40). Have used kerosine in the past but did not like the smell.

I've used Crisco on the lathe . Brush it on the part , the heat of cutting
melts it . Made me hungry though .

Client: "Hey, where's my foot peg repair?"
Snag: "Sorry, I ate it."

--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gerry wrote:
When you say "lard oil", are you talking about the white stuff from
the grocery store that used to me used for frying? Never messed with
it but always figured it was a solid like Crisco. I would use the
material in question for drilling large holes in steel mostly. I
have other stuff that I use for tapping (TapMagic) and machining
Tri-cool or WD40). Have used kerosine in the past but did not like
the smell.

I've used Crisco on the lathe . Brush it on the part , the heat of
cutting melts it . Made me hungry though .

Client: "Hey, where's my foot peg repair?"
Snag: "Sorry, I ate it."

Now that's funny , I don't care who you are . "Oh , and you owe me a new set
of dentures."

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, March 11, 2015 at 9:16:46 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
Gerry wrote:
When you say "lard oil", are you talking about the white stuff from
the grocery store that used to me used for frying? Never messed with
it but always figured it was a solid like Crisco. I would use the
material in question for drilling large holes in steel mostly. I have
other stuff that I use for tapping (TapMagic) and machining Tri-cool
or WD40). Have used kerosine in the past but did not like the smell.

I've used Crisco on the lathe . Brush it on the part , the heat
of cutting melts it . Made me hungry though .

A burrito bake in the oven with Crisco isn't bad.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 8:58:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Gerry wrote:
When you say "lard oil", are you talking about the white stuff from
the grocery store that used to me used for frying? Never messed with
it but always figured it was a solid like Crisco. I would use the
material in question for drilling large holes in steel mostly. I have
other stuff that I use for tapping (TapMagic) and machining Tri-cool
or WD40). Have used kerosine in the past but did not like the smell.

I've used Crisco on the lathe . Brush it on the part , the heat
of cutting melts it . Made me hungry though .

A burrito bake in the oven with Crisco isn't bad.

Seems to me, according to SWMBO, Crisco is vegetable in origin as
opposed to lard.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

Here in the states, we have a Mexican restaurant named "Chipotle". All they do is take a steamed piece of flat bread (named a tortilla) and wrap it around already-cooked seasoned ground beef, mashed beans and onions and peppers, etc... and then serve it.

Another Mexican restaurant here, named "South of the Border" at first does the same but then they put oil or maybe Crisco on it and then bake the whole thing in the oven for about 20, 25 or so minutes and then top it with cheese. . Then you cover it with lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, chillies, etc. Its very good.

"Black! Black! It's all Black!" - flooring advice needed please! Umgall UK diy 7 February 2nd 07 02:50 PM
306 SS threading Snag Metalworking 0 April 9th 06 12:14 PM
Ozone generator to clear mold, will it clear termites too? Miki Home Ownership 2 January 8th 05 01:08 PM
draining CH after Fernox Restorer - how clear is clear? dave @ stejonda UK diy 5 June 27th 04 09:28 AM
Threading: 29º or another way... Robin S. Metalworking 5 November 22nd 03 06:55 PM