Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag

Default 306 SS threading

I'm making some shifter and brake pegs for a friend's bike , and have run
into a small problem . I suspect I have work hardened the SS when I drilled
it , because I've never had this much trouble cutting threads .
I have units made and drilled 3/16" diameter and about 1 1/2" deep , but
need some advice . The threads are to be 3/8-16 , and only need to be about
1 inch deep . The first one I drilled like 2 inches deep , in 2 steps (after
a 3/16" pilot hole). The piece was quite warm when I finished . Should I
take these out to the tap drill diameter in 1 step ? Should I use coolant ,
and if so what kind ?
The pegs are slotted 1/8" slots spaced 1/8" apart (done with a parting
tool) , and got very warm during this machining , could that have hardened
the SS some ?
--
Snag aka OSG #1
'76 FLH "Bag Lady"