Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Black! Black! It's all Black!" - flooring advice needed please!

We're about to start a major bit of work on our kitchen/family room, by
knocking the two together, then building on a large sunroom. All together
it will be an area of around 45m^2.

We're going for an Arosa gloss wood kitchen from Bauformat with 80mm black
granite worktops, and reckoned that 30x60cm black porcelain floor tiles
would look stunning.

However, looking at pictures of similar kitchens (magazines, online etc) we
haven't seen one that doesn't use a light coloured floor, making us think
that the black floor would be too dark.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone have a black tiled floor with
a dark kitchen?

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Umgall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Umgall wrote:
We're about to start a major bit of work on our kitchen/family room, by
knocking the two together, then building on a large sunroom. All together
it will be an area of around 45m^2.

We're going for an Arosa gloss wood kitchen from Bauformat with 80mm black
granite worktops, and reckoned that 30x60cm black porcelain floor tiles
would look stunning.

However, looking at pictures of similar kitchens (magazines, online etc) we
haven't seen one that doesn't use a light coloured floor, making us think
that the black floor would be too dark.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone have a black tiled floor with
a dark kitchen?

Well we have dark grey slate and granite and oak tops and oak and brick
and lightish plasterwork..

Its OK..

taste is taste, and things go in waves of fashion..

I rather like cosy hobbit holes to crawl into..this Brite Wite Post
Modern Minimalist look is not my style, and looks awful when dogs with
wet muddy tails smack it up.

But thats country living..if you want Brite Lite, Nature provides lots
of it outside, and inside is the cave..warm dark safe and cosy.

In a city I suspect you need reminding of Outside, so painting up the
rooms to make them feel like Outside is the way to go. Outside in a city
generally being dark and utterly miserable in winter..

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Umgall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Umgall" wrote in message
We're about to start a major bit of work on our kitchen/family room, by
knocking the two together, then building on a large sunroom. All together
it will be an area of around 45m^2.

We're going for an Arosa gloss wood kitchen from Bauformat with 80mm black
granite worktops, and reckoned that 30x60cm black porcelain floor tiles
would look stunning.

However, looking at pictures of similar kitchens (magazines, online etc)
we haven't seen one that doesn't use a light coloured floor, making us
think that the black floor would be too dark.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone have a black tiled floor
with a dark kitchen?

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Umgall.

Beware...
Friends of mine have glossy black ceramic tiles... wow, they seem to
highlight the tiniest of marks/grit/crumbs.
Also black worktop, but not noticed it to be a "dark kitchen" though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Justin TIme
writes

"Umgall" wrote in message
[...]

Did my kitchen last year with black granite effect worktops and black
granite effect tiles (3 rows high). Black glass hob. Unit fronts are
off-white. Floor teracotta tile vinyl.
Really that's about a much black as I would want. Looks very good, but
no more!
Oh and the worktops show up crumbs and smears and the like really well,
while hiding things like gravy splodges!

--
steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steven Briggs wrote:
In message , Justin TIme
writes

"Umgall" wrote in message
[...]

Use matte granite..cheaper and less prone to showing up stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 11:26:34 GMT, "Umgall"
wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone have a black tiled floor with
a dark kitchen?

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Asked my tiler neighbour and he did say he has tiled 4 black kitchens
in the last year, and been asked back to redo 3 of them in lighter
tile after about 6 months. They were of the modern fad for very
glossy mineral work surfaces and high gloss cupboards in dark
red/dark blue/dark dark with black porcelain floor tiles and dark or
black wall tiles. Lighting (to misuse the word somewhat) was a
ceiling full of downlighters. All the work came from the same
designer - whose knowledge of cooking and lighting are about on a par
but whose gothic look work is for some reason very popular with the
footballers who have bought around here.

He hates doing them as the only way of handing them over is for
everyone to back out polishing the floor and wall tiles as they go.
The second anyone walks in the slightest mark stands out (the daft
lighting not helping of course).

One was changed after the resident WAG broke her elbow very badly
discovering that a few drops of chicken fat, water and porcelain
tiles rival wet PTFE for coefficient of friction. As Anne has said,
while porcelain tiles have merit, they are very slippy when wet and
this needs to be carefully considered especially if the kitchen is a
popular route between indoors and outdoors.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MB MB is offline

wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone have a black tiled floor
with
a dark kitchen?

My first thought when making any changes: what makes the least work in
future? A neutral, dust-color is always the answer. As for what you have
to look at-- any extreme, whether very light or very dark, is something
you'll tire of very soon. The safety aspect: ceramic tiles are slippery,
even if not wet, as is laminate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Friends of mine have glossy ceramic (not black) tiles, and they're an
absolute ******* if they get even slightly wet...

I agree. Ours are a bit of a ******* even when dry if your wearing
socks!
And if you drop anything fragile it always breaks and completely
detonates when it does (they were there when we moved in BTW)