Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default aluminium sheet in a ceramics kiln

I want to try to fire ceramic transfers onto sheet metal, aluminium in
particular. These normally fire to 600-800 degrees centigrade onto glass
and ceramic. Do you think it would work and what would be the top
temperature I could try?

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...ln-611086-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Diane" wrote in
message roups.com...
I want to try to fire ceramic transfers onto sheet metal, aluminium
in
particular. These normally fire to 600-800 degrees centigrade onto
glass
and ceramic. Do you think it would work and what would be the top
temperature I could try?

Pure aluminum melts at 660C, alloys have lower melting points.

http://www.calphalon.com/Pages/Simply-Ceramic.aspx

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 1:18:05 PM UTC-5, Diane wrote:
I want to try to fire ceramic transfers onto sheet metal, aluminium in
particular. These normally fire to 600-800 degrees centigrade onto glass
and ceramic. Do you think it would work and what would be the top
temperature I could try?

--

You do know that aluminium melts at about 660 degrees C.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" fired this volley in news:ca4df67d-
:

You do know that aluminium melts at about 660 degrees C.

Obviously, he doesn't, although he could have looked it up as easily as
asking a question that 'marks' him.

shrug

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 02 Mar 2015 12:44:53 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

" fired this volley in news:ca4df67d-
:

You do know that aluminium melts at about 660 degrees C.

Obviously, he doesn't, although he could have looked it up as easily as
asking a question that 'marks' him.

shrug

That 'mark' was filtered on my box long ago. Plonk him any time.

--
Now therefore, be it Resolved by the Fiftieth Annual Convention
of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, That we

--Veterans of Foreign Wars

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

Plonk him any time.

I hadn't noticed, but I'll watch now.

I HAVE plonked a few major irritants here on the group, and it's made a
huge difference in both readability and 'irritation factor'.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 02 Mar 2015 14:55:53 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

Plonk him any time.

I hadn't noticed, but I'll watch now.

I HAVE plonked a few major irritants here on the group, and it's made a
huge difference in both readability and 'irritation factor'.

It does. After so many years, I have kill-filtered over 85% of the
messages nowadays, so on days with 150 or so posts, I see only a dozen
or so. It's sad that the valid content has dropped so much. Filtering
crossposted messages took care of an immense amount of the crap in one
pop. I just wish Agent filtered on initial post ID so I could get rid
of all the posts by those who reply to the jerks I have plonked. I'd
switch newsreaders for that alone if they weren't all such a different
format. Agent is THE format for news. I wish others laid it out like
Forte' does. Online forums are immensely painful in comparison; so
clumsy and inefficient.

I WANT THAT FEATURE, FORTE!

--
Now therefore, be it Resolved by the Fiftieth Annual Convention
of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, That we
hereby declare that we are unalterably opposed to any program
which would entail the surrender of any part of the sovereignty
of the United States of America in favor of a world government.

--Veterans of Foreign Wars
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

Can't you filter on "all headers" for the ID string?

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Jim Wilkins , Diane wrote:
muratlanne wrote:

"Diane" wrote in
message roups.com...
Pure aluminum melts at 660C, alloys have lower melting points.
http://www.calphalon.com/Pages/Simply-Ceramic.aspx
-jsw

Thanks, I will just do some tests in with some glass firings, I don't
quite understand what the other posts are talking about but as an artist I
tend to just try things out, I just wondered if there were any fumes or
gases given off that could cause problems. I have done some enamelling
onto steel and it worked fine .

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...ln-611086-.htm
using PolytechForum's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to
rec.crafts.metalworking and other engineering groups

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 14:18:02 +0000, Diane
wrote:

replying to Jim Wilkins , Diane wrote:
muratlanne wrote:

"Diane" wrote in
message roups.com...
Pure aluminum melts at 660C, alloys have lower melting points.
http://www.calphalon.com/Pages/Simply-Ceramic.aspx
-jsw

Thanks, I will just do some tests in with some glass firings, I don't
quite understand what the other posts are talking about but as an artist I
tend to just try things out, I just wondered if there were any fumes or
gases given off that could cause problems. I have done some enamelling
onto steel and it worked fine .

What they're tlaking about, in our semi-engineering language, is the
fact that aluminum will melt into a puddle at the firing temperatures
you're asking about.

Aluminum can't tolerate those temperatures. If you want to consider
using other metals, here is a list of metals and their melting
termperatures:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/me...als-d_860.html

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Diane" wrote in
message roups.com...
replying to Jim Wilkins , Diane wrote:
muratlanne wrote:

"Diane" wrote
in message
roups.com... Pure
aluminum melts at 660C, alloys have lower melting points.
http://www.calphalon.com/Pages/Simply-Ceramic.aspx -jsw

Thanks, I will just do some tests in with some glass firings, I
don't
quite understand what the other posts are talking about but as an
artist I
tend to just try things out, I just wondered if there were any fumes
or
gases given off that could cause problems. I have done some
enamelling
onto steel and it worked fine .

Some metals do emit fumes when hot, like lead, zinc and cadmium
(plating), but AFAIK there are no special precautions when welding
aluminum other than avoiding fluoride fumes from the flux on stick
electrodes.

Pure aluminum may be too soft and flexible for you. The commonly
available strong and stiff alloy 6061 begins to melt around 580C.
Aluminum expands and contracts about twice as much as steel with
temperature changes.

rec.crafts.metalworking may not be a good source for artistic
metalworking, we are more about machinery and politics. They may have
confused you with a political spammer.

Perhaps Calphalon or another company that bonds ceramics to aluminum
industrially could help with low-melting ceramics and surface
pretreatment requirements. I've never found any useful information on
tricky chemistries from artistic sources.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'd be cautious with the colors you are using.
Are some arsenic or cadmium or lead or .....
I had a good friend who used to much cobalt blue
and without a mask. Was tough on his lungs...

Glass is safer.

Stainless steel will give off bad fumes.

Martin

On 3/3/2015 8:18 AM, Diane wrote:
replying to Jim Wilkins , Diane wrote:
muratlanne wrote:

"Diane" wrote in
message roups.com...
Pure aluminum melts at 660C, alloys have lower melting points.
http://www.calphalon.com/Pages/Simply-Ceramic.aspx -jsw

Thanks, I will just do some tests in with some glass firings, I don't
quite understand what the other posts are talking about but as an artist I
tend to just try things out, I just wondered if there were any fumes or
gases given off that could cause problems. I have done some enamelling
onto steel and it worked fine .

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 02 Mar 2015 21:33:22 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I just wish Agent filtered on initial post ID so I could get rid
of all the posts by those who reply to the jerks I have plonked.

If you set your filter to "Ignore thread", it will also ignore replies
to the message you filtered. It will not ignore the entire thread, as
I though for a long time.
--
RoRo
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just wish Agent filtered on initial post ID so I could get rid
of all the posts by those who reply to the jerks I have plonked.

If you set your filter to "Ignore thread", it will also ignore replies
to the message you filtered. It will not ignore the entire thread, as
I though for a long time.

Thanks, Ro. I'll give that a try.

--
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.

In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and
the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish
and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but
never have been able to reach.

The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real,
it is possible, it is yours.
-- Ayn Rand