Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aluminium Insulation Sheet.

I have just been using an aerospace type blanket for insulating
ceilings. It is a rather expensive roll of aluminium and that stuff
they use in duvets. 8 sheets of ally in the sandwich. The outer sheets
are heavy duty, woven with some sort of carbon wire and is a bugger to
cut.*

You staple it to the ceiling joists and counter batten the ceiling. It
replaces a thick layer of rock-wool. I can't imagine how it will
replace that though as it took two of us all day to do two rooms. Mind
you that was our first job with this (to us) new medium, on a new site.

How long does it take to lay a load of insulation in an attic? Thinking
about that, why not lay the blanket up there? Perhaps I aught to ask
that of the site agent.

The counter battens took a pair of nails each joist too, as using one
per joist allowed movement in them.

I bet the houses will be murder for WiFi and HAM radio, it's already in
a dead zone for phone signals. (They have Cellotex on the walls too.
Perhaps they are going to be safe houses for people fleeing the
UnitedStatesandAmerica. No screens on the windows yet though.)

*We ended up unrolling it on the floor and cutting it on a plank to
save the blade, as they must be as sharp as possible.

Measure the required length.
From a wall, mark said length out on floor -less half the width of a

plank.
Knock a couple of nails into the plank to act as stops for a batten.
Place the plank on the mark and lay the sheet from the wall to the
plank.
Place the batten on top to hold the sheet tight and cut a few times.

The wadding is like that stuff in chainsaw safety wear, so it drags out
with the blade rather than getting cut through. The batten is needed
for holding the fabric tight as much as for guiding the knife.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
"Weatherlawyer" writes:

I bet the houses will be murder for WiFi and HAM radio, it's already in
a dead zone for phone signals. (They have Cellotex on the walls too.
Perhaps they are going to be safe houses for people fleeing the
UnitedStatesandAmerica. No screens on the windows yet though.)

Why not? Are they not using Pilkington K or similar?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
I have just been using an aerospace type blanket for insulating
ceilings. It is a rather expensive roll of aluminium and that stuff
they use in duvets. 8 sheets of ally in the sandwich. The outer sheets
are heavy duty, woven with some sort of carbon wire and is a bugger to
cut.*

Not to mention typically being vastly oversold - to the point of
outright blatant lies about thermal conductivity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Stirling wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:

I have just been using an aerospace type blanket for insulating
ceilings. It is a rather expensive roll of aluminium and that stuff
they use in duvets. 8 sheets of ally in the sandwich. The outer sheets
are heavy duty, woven with some sort of carbon wire and is a bugger to
cut.*

Not to mention typically being vastly oversold - to the point of
outright blatant lies about thermal conductivity.

There's often some nasty small print not printed in the retail catalogue
- e.g. values only apply when in still air with a 25mm gap both sides.

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
I have just been using an aerospace type blanket for insulating
ceilings. It is a rather expensive roll of aluminium and that stuff
they use in duvets. 8 sheets of ally in the sandwich. The outer sheets
are heavy duty, woven with some sort of carbon wire and is a bugger to
cut.*

Carpet scissors you need, cut through anything when new, although normal
decorators scissors will cut through steel wire, they probably wouldn't stay
sharp very long.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 16, 7:25 pm, "Phil L" wrote:
Weatherlawyerwrote:
I have just been using an aerospace type blanket for insulating
ceilings. It is a rather expensive roll of aluminium and that stuff
they use in duvets. 8 sheets of ally in the sandwich. The outer sheets
are heavy duty, woven with some sort of carbon wire and is a bugger to
cut.*

Carpet scissors you need, cut through anything when new, although normal
decorators scissors will cut through steel wire, they probably wouldn't stay
sharp very long.

No, we tried everything within reason -even tried sawing through the
roll. We have got the job down pat now. It can be done quite quickly.
You need long staples (9/16th minimum) and take care when overlapping
more than two pieces. (Staple the uppermost layer to the side of the
joist for example, also make sure not to leave gaps at the edges and
corners of walls.)

On Jan 16, 10:21 am, Owain wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:

I bet the houses will be murder for WiFi and HAM

Wi-fi *within* the property should still work, and amateur radio
operators usually use proper external aerials.

I wouldn't know. How would one get on with using the wireless from
another room?

We got another delivery of the stuff last week and it seems to
incorporate bubble wrap as well now. Just as easy to cut though with a
batton holding it down tight, on a board and with a very sharp knife
blade.

I wish I'd bought another one of those lock knives from Lidl now. They
really are a vast improvement over standard Stanleys. I know I am
going to mislay this thing soon. I carry it in my pocket at all times
now. My number one favourite tool.

And I got a load of spare blades the other day -£1 for about 60 in a
dispenser. (Not from Lidl, from a market stall.)

Not bad at all. I am an happy bunny.

Temporaire water into insulation could affect insulation and floor rafters? Chris Home Repair 1 July 11th 06 01:38 AM
Aluminium The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 15 July 5th 06 07:44 PM
plastering over aluminium sheet [email protected] UK diy 4 June 27th 05 07:49 PM
Aluminium David Lang UK diy 31 June 12th 05 08:13 AM
Insulation: Under floor also Comparisons of mu figures of HW tank insulation etc Z UK diy 0 March 5th 04 10:10 PM