Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default aluminium sheet in a ceramics kiln

On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 14:18:02 +0000, Diane
wrote:

replying to Jim Wilkins , Diane wrote:
muratlanne wrote:

"Diane" wrote in
message roups.com...
Pure aluminum melts at 660C, alloys have lower melting points.
http://www.calphalon.com/Pages/Simply-Ceramic.aspx
-jsw

Thanks, I will just do some tests in with some glass firings, I don't
quite understand what the other posts are talking about but as an artist I
tend to just try things out, I just wondered if there were any fumes or
gases given off that could cause problems. I have done some enamelling
onto steel and it worked fine .

What they're tlaking about, in our semi-engineering language, is the
fact that aluminum will melt into a puddle at the firing temperatures
you're asking about.

Aluminum can't tolerate those temperatures. If you want to consider
using other metals, here is a list of metals and their melting
termperatures:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/me...als-d_860.html

--
Ed Huntress