Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Locking small Nylon nuts

I have a small project that would best use 3/16 inch dia nylon screws
and nuts.
If I used steel screws and nuts I would use NYLOC nuts.
So what the locking eqivelant in nylon nuts or isn't there one, just
do them up tight?

--
John G Sydney.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John G fired this volley in
:

So what the locking eqivelant in nylon nuts or isn't there one, just
do them up tight?

A hot implement poked just a shallow bit into the outboard junction
between nut and screw, so that both are melted and deformed at the spot.
Depending upon the size, maybe three such spots. Don't go too deeply
into the nut, as the number of threads in engagement is pretty important
with plastic screws.

The tip of a very small soldering iron works, but it smutches up the tip.
I keep one with a 1/16" screwdriver tip around just for tacking and
piercing plastics. (have another for soldering, and it never, ever
touches thermoplastics)

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 10:10:12 +1100, John G wrote:

I have a small project that would best use 3/16 inch dia nylon screws
and nuts.
If I used steel screws and nuts I would use NYLOC nuts.
So what the locking eqivelant in nylon nuts or isn't there one, just
do them up tight?

Steel-loc, anyone???
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John G wrote:

I have a small project that would best use 3/16 inch dia nylon screws
and nuts.
If I used steel screws and nuts I would use NYLOC nuts.
So what the locking eqivelant in nylon nuts or isn't there one, just
do them up tight?

--
John G Sydney.

"Nylon hex locknuts" self locking type on McMaster.com $12/100
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/28/2014 10:10 AM, John G wrote: I have a small project that would
best use 3/16 inch dia nylon screws
and nuts.
If I used steel screws and nuts I would use NYLOC nuts.
So what the locking eqivelant in nylon nuts or isn't there one, just do
them up tight?

Vibratite might work for you. Fairly thick liquid that you brush onto
the threads. It takes a bit for it to dry and set up properly. Can
sometimes be had from a motorcycle shop, and MSC carries it.
Would want to use it sparingly on that small a screw.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 16:39:25 +1100
Jon Anderson wrote:

On 11/28/2014 10:10 AM, John G wrote: I have a small project that would
best use 3/16 inch dia nylon screws
and nuts.
If I used steel screws and nuts I would use NYLOC nuts.
So what the locking eqivelant in nylon nuts or isn't there one, just do
them up tight?

Vibratite might work for you. Fairly thick liquid that you brush onto
the threads. It takes a bit for it to dry and set up properly. Can
sometimes be had from a motorcycle shop, and MSC carries it.
Would want to use it sparingly on that small a screw.

Nice lead Jon, but Vibra-Tite is a company and carries a whole product
line of thread lockers:

http://www.vibra-tite.com/product-ca...threadlockers/

Which product were you thinking of for this application? I'm not the
original poster but would like to have something like that around to
use now and then. Was it one of the VC- models towards the bottom of
that page maybe?

Off the top of my head, one use I would try it on would be the
little screws on my glasses frames (metal frames and screws).

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:

On 11/28/2014 10:10 AM, John G wrote: I have a small project that would
best use 3/16 inch dia nylon screws
and nuts.
If I used steel screws and nuts I would use NYLOC nuts.
So what the locking eqivelant in nylon nuts or isn't there one, just do
them up tight?

Vibratite might work for you. Fairly thick liquid that you brush onto
the threads. It takes a bit for it to dry and set up properly. Can
sometimes be had from a motorcycle shop, and MSC carries it.
Would want to use it sparingly on that small a screw.

Jon

"Nylon hex locknuts" self locking type on McMaster.com $12/100

e.g. http://www.mcmaster.com/#94909a009 as an example in 8-32 size. All
nylon, exactly what the OP asked for. If McMaster doesn't have it, it
probably doesn't exist...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com prodded the
keyboard

John G fired this volley in
:

So what the locking eqivelant in nylon nuts or isn't there one,
just do them up tight?

A hot implement poked just a shallow bit into the outboard junction
between nut and screw, so that both are melted and deformed at the
spot.
Depending upon the size, maybe three such spots. Don't go too
deeply into the nut, as the number of threads in engagement is
pretty important with plastic screws.

The tip of a very small soldering iron works, but it smutches up the
tip. I keep one with a 1/16" screwdriver tip around just for tacking
and piercing plastics. (have another for soldering, and it never,
ever touches thermoplastics)

Lloyd

I agree ! I've used the hot wire technique many times,
though "Loctite" make a thread locker for plastics.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/27/2014 6:10 PM, John G wrote:
I have a small project that would best use 3/16 inch dia nylon screws
and nuts.
If I used steel screws and nuts I would use NYLOC nuts.
So what the locking eqivelant in nylon nuts or isn't there one, just do
them up tight?

Jam nut. On hand, easily reversible.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/28/2014 11:43 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:

Which product were you thinking of for this application? I'm not the
original poster but would like to have something like that around to
use now and then. Was it one of the VC- models towards the bottom of
that page maybe?

Hmm, didn't know they had such an extensive line. I bought whatever one
MSC carries. Gotta head off to work in a few minutes, no time to look it
up on MSC, but it was either VC3, 4, or 5. Came in the glass bottle with
brush. Have a bottle, in storage, 7700 miles away, be a while before I
can check it...

It's good stuff, especially for fasteners one doesn't want to move, but
might need adjustment now and then.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 06:47:37 +1100
Jon Anderson wrote:

On 11/28/2014 11:43 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:

Which product were you thinking of for this application? I'm not the
original poster but would like to have something like that around to
use now and then. Was it one of the VC- models towards the bottom of
that page maybe?

Hmm, didn't know they had such an extensive line. I bought whatever one
MSC carries. Gotta head off to work in a few minutes, no time to look it
up on MSC, but it was either VC3, 4, or 5. Came in the glass bottle with
brush. Have a bottle, in storage, 7700 miles away, be a while before I
can check it...

I understand, no problem. I'll keep my eye open for VC-3 when I'm out
and about. Pretty sure it must be one in the VC line. I liked the look
of those washers too:

http://www.vibra-tite.com/products/microbond-washers/

Couldn't find a source for those (curious how much they cost) but I
don't really need them at this time either...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 10:10:12 +1100, John G wrote:

I have a small project that would best use 3/16 inch dia nylon screws
and nuts.
If I used steel screws and nuts I would use NYLOC nuts.
So what the locking eqivelant in nylon nuts or isn't there one, just
do them up tight?

We use nylon hardware to fasten some of the magnetics in our induction
heaters we manufacture. Our technique is to cut the bolt about a
thread or two above the nut and then use a plastic welding tool (AKA a
soldering iron with a wide flat anti-stick coated tip. Urethane
supply company) to weld the thread stub to the nut. Only takes a
second and is permanent.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.fluxeon.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/29/2014 7:02 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:

I understand, no problem. I'll keep my eye open for VC-3 when I'm out
and about. Pretty sure it must be one in the VC line. I liked the look
of those washers too:

http://www.vibra-tite.com/products/microbond-washers/

Couldn't find a source for those (curious how much they cost) but I
don't really need them at this time either...

Hmm, those look pretty cool. Browsed the site, they have a lot of good
products.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, November 27, 2014 3:10:19 PM UTC-8, John G wrote:

If I used steel screws and nuts I would use NYLOC nuts.
So what the locking eqivelant in nylon nuts or isn't there one, just
do them up tight?

I've done (on a one-off basis) a quick slash with a knife blade across
the threads; it adds significantly to the friction, but allows disassembly
without further damage.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John G used his keyboard to write :
I have a small project that would best use 3/16 inch dia nylon screws and
nuts.
If I used steel screws and nuts I would use NYLOC nuts.
So what the locking eqivelant in nylon nuts or isn't there one, just do them
up tight?

Thanks to you all.
I had some ideas myself but wondered what was common now.

I can remember before Nyloc nuts when they were FIBRE lock nuts
Thanks again. l-)

--
John G Sydney.