Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Slightly OT - locking wheel nuts

Just posted this in the car ng but then thought that someone on here may be
able to help as well )

About 4 weeks ago I bought a secondhand Nissan QX and stupidly I've only
just realised that it has locking wheel nuts but there's no "key" socket for
them. Assuming that they're factory fitted (because they look exactly like
the ones on my old QX that I part-ex'd for this one), I went to Nissan main
stealers only to be told that they can't supply just the key socket and I
would need to get a full set - but that they don't specify one for that car
any longer.

Whatever I decide to do, I have to get the existing ones out so my question
is, given the range of tools and gadgets available to a mechanic in a
well-stocked workshop (main stealers or not) is there a quick and easy way
for a mechanic to get them off?

The only other thing I could think of is that I've looked at Autotrader
website and there are two QXs for sale in Manchester (about 35 miles from
me) so, again assuming that because they look the same as my old ones, I
could see if they would be willing to let me try their key-sockets on mine.

Which is likely to be the most cost effective method?

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
[...]

Kwikfit removed mine after the key chewed them up

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 14:09:26 +0100, John wrote:

About 4 weeks ago I bought a secondhand Nissan QX and stupidly I've only
just realised that it has locking wheel nuts but there's no "key" socket
for them.

Have you asked the previous owner if they know where the socket is? Some
people don't keep it with the car but at home for some strange reason...

The design of locking wheel nut varies considerably, ordinary tools may or
may not be able to remove them.

Failing that take it to a dealers for the brakes to be checked/serviced
and instruct them not to refit the locking nuts but ordinary ones you have
picked up from a scrappers or maybe even set of locking nuts and key from
a similar source.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Brilliant. One reply in the car ng just said try contacting the previous
owner as the key may be sitting in their toolbox - if it isn't, I'll try
KwikFit. Cheers Kevin.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John wrote

Brilliant. One reply in the car ng just said try contacting the previous
owner as the key may be sitting in their toolbox - if it isn't, I'll try
KwikFit. Cheers Kevin.

Have you checked in the boot - it could be taped to the wheel brace?

--
Alan

news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 14:09:26 +0100, John wrote:

About 4 weeks ago I bought a secondhand Nissan QX and stupidly I've only
just realised that it has locking wheel nuts but there's no "key" socket
for them.

Have you asked the previous owner if they know where the socket is? Some
people don't keep it with the car but at home for some strange reason...

The design of locking wheel nut varies considerably, ordinary tools may or
may not be able to remove them.

Failing that take it to a dealers for the brakes to be checked/serviced
and instruct them not to refit the locking nuts but ordinary ones you have
picked up from a scrappers or maybe even set of locking nuts and key from
a similar source.

Perhaps the strange reason of not wanting their wheels to be stolen by any
scrote who can get into the glovebox? It's always occured to me that they
should come attached to the keyring the car keys are on...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 14:09:26 +0100, John wrote:

About 4 weeks ago I bought a secondhand Nissan QX and stupidly I've only
just realised that it has locking wheel nuts but there's no "key" socket
for them.

Have you asked the previous owner if they know where the socket is? Some
people don't keep it with the car but at home for some strange reason...

That's to stop the wheels being removed once the key is found. Have you
never
thought of that!

The design of locking wheel nut varies considerably, ordinary tools may or
may not be able to remove them.

They are easily removed by items found in a normal toolbox.

Failing that take it to a dealers for the brakes to be checked/serviced
and instruct them not to refit the locking nuts but ordinary ones you have
picked up from a scrappers or maybe even set of locking nuts and key from
a similar source.

They will only ask for the key to remove the wheels unless it is made clear
that the locking wheel nuts are to be forced off before any other work
takes place. The garage wouldn't just remove them and then ask what to do.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Doki
wrote

Perhaps the strange reason of not wanting their wheels to be stolen by
any scrote who can get into the glovebox? It's always occured to me
that they should come attached to the keyring the car keys are on...

A locking wheel nut may be only a visual deterrent for the opportunist
criminal. Anyone going out to steal wheels isn't going to have trouble
removing the nuts.

--
Alanr
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JD" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

Have you asked the previous owner if they know where the socket is?
Some people don't keep it with the car but at home for some strange
reason...

That's to stop the wheels being removed once the key is found. Have you
never thought of that!

Mmmm. Let's hope that the thieving scrotes that want the alloys don't
just use one of these - http://www.screwfix.com/prods/94826 - and that
the owner doesn't have a flat whilst actually using the car...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 14:09:26 +0100, "John" wrote:

Whatever I decide to do, I have to get the existing ones out so my question
is, given the range of tools and gadgets available to a mechanic in a
well-stocked workshop (main stealers or not) is there a quick and easy way
for a mechanic to get them off?

Most tyre shops will be able to remove them. If you want to be able
to do it yourself find a small local engineering company or a tame
model engineer and they will make you one in about half an hour.

http://www.lockingwheelnutremover.co.uk/index.html looks pricy but
would solve your problem.

If you just want to get it out and replace with non-locking then
http://www.shop-com.co.uk/Sealey_Locking_Wheel_Nut_Removal_Set_2pc-23051168-31030933-p!.shtml?sourceid=309
or the similar Screwfix one. Both damage the locking nut . Halfords
sell a similar one apparently.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all who've replied. I phoned the previous owner yesterday but had
to leave a message on his answering machine as he wasn't in. Hopefully
that'll work but if not I'll get a set of McGards and take the car to my
local tyre place for them to sort out.

Cheers folks,

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
writes

Thanks to all who've replied. I phoned the previous owner yesterday but had
to leave a message on his answering machine as he wasn't in. Hopefully
that'll work but if not I'll get a set of McGards and take the car to my
local tyre place for them to sort out.

Have you checked the ash tray? That's where ours always live:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
"JD" gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Have you asked the previous owner if they know where the socket is?
Some people don't keep it with the car but at home for some strange
reason...

That's to stop the wheels being removed once the key is found. Have
you never thought of that!

Mmmm. Let's hope that the thieving scrotes that want the alloys don't
just use one of these - http://www.screwfix.com/prods/94826 - and that
the owner doesn't have a flat whilst actually using the car...

Below that in the ' You might also be interested in..." box is a radio
removal kit - so for about £35 you can set up as a fully equipped thief!

Lets hope the scroates don't read Screfix catalouges!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Doki
wrote

Perhaps the strange reason of not wanting their wheels to be stolen by any
scrote who can get into the glovebox? It's always occured to me that they
should come attached to the keyring the car keys are on...

A locking wheel nut may be only a visual deterrent for the opportunist
criminal. Anyone going out to steal wheels isn't going to have trouble
removing the nuts.

Hah! Depends on the class of scrote. Most might bother if they can find
locking wheel nuts and the wheel brace in the boot, on an ordinary car.
Perhaps if you've got a couple of grands worth of BBS split rims they (or
someone with a tad more clue) might bother, but not for ordinary standard
wheels.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doki wrote:

"Alan" wrote in message

In message , Doki
wrote

Perhaps the strange reason of not wanting their wheels to be stolen
by any scrote who can get into the glovebox? It's always occured to
me that they should come attached to the keyring the car keys are on...

A locking wheel nut may be only a visual deterrent for the opportunist
criminal. Anyone going out to steal wheels isn't going to have trouble
removing the nuts.

Hah! Depends on the class of scrote. Most might bother if they can find
locking wheel nuts and the wheel brace in the boot, on an ordinary car.
Perhaps if you've got a couple of grands worth of BBS split rims they
(or someone with a tad more clue) might bother, but not for ordinary
standard wheels.

I have worked in the engineering industry all my life. I could get any
wheel off a car well within 5 minutes. It's that simple and I am not
prepared to tell how. On other things, I have seen the RAC get over a
dealer bought imobiliser and get into a car that had the keys locked
inside. Both were done in seconds Once again, my lips are sealed.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
Doki wrote:

"Alan" wrote in message

In message , Doki
wrote

[...]

well give your self a pat on the back

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 17:48:32 +0100, "JD" wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ill.net...
On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 14:09:26 +0100, John wrote:

About 4 weeks ago I bought a secondhand Nissan QX and stupidly I've only
just realised that it has locking wheel nuts but there's no "key" socket
for them.

Have you asked the previous owner if they know where the socket is? Some
people don't keep it with the car but at home for some strange reason...

That's to stop the wheels being removed once the key is found. Have you
never
thought of that!

Very convenient when you are stuck out in the country with a flat and
the wheelnut key is lying at home .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 10:20:03 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , John
writes

Thanks to all who've replied. I phoned the previous owner yesterday but had
to leave a message on his answering machine as he wasn't in. Hopefully
that'll work but if not I'll get a set of McGards and take the car to my
local tyre place for them to sort out.

Have you checked the ash tray? That's where ours always live:-)

Not the one at home I guesss ? LOL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd look very carefully round the car, inside and out. The previous
owner may have hidden it, for obvious reasons.

One of my cars had a little clip for the locking wheel nut, as part of
the plastic bit that was used to store the jack, etc. Worth looking
around there.
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:
On 2008-08-02, John wrote:
[...]

You can usually get them off by judicious use of a hammer and cold chisel. Drive
them round anticlockwise - don't try and cut them off.

just curious how you can cut them off on an alloy wheel, mine are 1/2"
down a hole no way to cut them off or use a cold chisel at sort of angle
to turn them round

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 14:09:26 +0100
"John" wrote:

[...]

I've been thinking about this - mine say that there are literally
thousands of combinations so....

Is it possible to take a 'cast' of the wheel nut? Make sure the nut and
surrounding wheel is well greased with a release agent, and cast it
with something - Plaster of Paris or Car Body filler
maybe - I'm no expert, an experiment is needed. Then use the cast to
make a new key. My key is a reverse cone with dowels at random
positions - I'd turn a blank without the cone, then drill for the
dowels, then turn the cone and finally braze the dowels in. Shouldn't
take more than, say, 50 hours.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 15:03:45 +0100, TheOldFellow wrote:

Is it possible to take a 'cast' of the wheel nut? Make sure the nut and
surrounding wheel is well greased with a release agent, and cast it
with something - Plaster of Paris or Car Body filler
maybe - I'm no expert, an experiment is needed. Then use the cast to
make a new key. My key is a reverse cone with dowels at random
positions - I'd turn a blank without the cone, then drill for the
dowels, then turn the cone and finally braze the dowels in. Shouldn't
take more than, say, 50 hours.

Car mechanic friend had a car with alloy wheels in, and was asked to get one off
that wouldn't budge, even with the right key. After using every method known to
man, he got fed up and used and angle grinder to take the rim off.

Turned out someone had welded the end of the bolt to the wheel from the engine
side. He never did find out why...

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 11:01:37 +0200, Thomas Prufer
wrote:

[...]

That's one way of stopping your wheels getting nicked .!!!!...well one
of them anyway .

Request for recommendation for self locking nuts with highestresistance to removal John2005 Metalworking 17 July 29th 08 01:31 AM
nuts with nylon inserts versus lock washers and jamb nuts mm Home Repair 30 May 8th 08 04:36 AM
Drilling out wheel nuts Andy R UK diy 37 November 23rd 06 10:09 AM
Stainless steel wheel nuts Lionel Metalworking 1 January 9th 06 10:39 PM
Remove locking wheel studs? Dan Metalworking 26 June 2nd 05 08:57 PM