Dan

Default Remove locking wheel studs?

Recently I purchased a used car from a private party for my wife. A couple
of days ago we noticed that there were wheel locks installed, so we called
the seller, and of course, they have no idea where the keys are.

A quick call to the dealership and a quote of $180.00 to replace the key
(!!!) and I am motivated to find a way to remove the locks without damaging
the studs or wheels.

Here is a close up photo of a locked stud and an unlocked one:
http://www.oz.net/~dans/lock.jpg

I have basic metalworking gear at my disposal, files, dremel, drills,
c-clamps, etc. but nothing major such as oxy-acetylene or other welding
gear. Is this something that a local tire shop could handle for me? It
can't be too unusual of a situation....

Thanks,
-Dan

Two and a Half

Dan

That doesn't look like any BMW locking nut I've seen over here in the UK but
then again you never know with those crafty Germans!!.

If they are a BMW standard locking nut you should be able to get a BMW
non-dealership type garages to remove them as they normally have a set of
keys to suit all.I reckon thet the dealership is trying rip you off. Try
posting a help notice on some of the UK BMW chat groups your more likely to
find the info you need.

Had a Mercedes with the same problem had to get someone to cut them off with
a blow torch eventually and I had to get four new alloys.... never mind the
insurance company took care of it as they proved merecedes had buggered them
up on the last service.

Good luck

Craig

"Dan" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Nick Müller

Two and a Half wrote:

That doesn't look like any BMW locking nut I've seen over here in the UK

Me too (in Germany)

then again you never know with those crafty Germans!!.

Grrr :-)

If they are a BMW standard locking nut you should be able to get a BMW
non-dealership type garages

BMW-dealers have them all and will open them.
But, as it isn't one, I would weld that thing to one lump and open it.
Take care that the ground of the welder is connected to the wheel or
another nut on the _same_ wheel. If the ground is connected to the
chassis, you will ruin your ball bearings.
Use at least anti spatter spray to protect your rim.

Nick

--
"Wissenschafts"-Sendung auf einem der Privat-Kanäle:
"Der Behälter fasst 200.000 Kubik-Liter."
Ken Sterling

Recently I purchased a used car from a private party for my wife. A couple
of days ago we noticed that there were wheel locks installed, so we called
the seller, and of course, they have no idea where the keys are.

A quick call to the dealership and a quote of $180.00 to replace the key
(!!!) and I am motivated to find a way to remove the locks without damaging
the studs or wheels.

Here is a close up photo of a locked stud and an unlocked one:
http://www.oz.net/~dans/lock.jpg

I have basic metalworking gear at my disposal, files, dremel, drills,
c-clamps, etc. but nothing major such as oxy-acetylene or other welding
gear. Is this something that a local tire shop could handle for me? It
can't be too unusual of a situation....

Thanks,
-Dan

This probably isn't going to be much help, but if your spare tire sits
down in a "well" in the trunk area, I would look for the special
wrench to be laying down in there with the spare. I've never seen one
made like this, but had a screwy one on a Chrysler one time I ended up
Dremel'ing a slot in the head and backed it out with a big screwdriver
and wrench. Ken.
DeepDiver

Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote in message

This probably isn't going to be much help, but if your spare tire
sits down in a "well" in the trunk area, I would look for the
special wrench to be laying down in there with the spare.

Good advice. In fact, I'd literally tear the car apart looking for that lug
nut key before I tried welding, hacking, drilling... or paying the dealer
$180! Check under the seats, inside the seats, the glovebox, storage bins,
tool kit, every recess of the trunk, under carpet, etc.

Was the seller the original owner of the car? Does he recall where he bought
the wheel locks? Did he even remember ever having the keys? When was the
last time he changed the tires and where did he have the work done?

- Michael

Rex

Dan wrote:
Recently I purchased a used car from a private party for my wife. A couple
of days ago we noticed that there were wheel locks installed, so we called
the seller, and of course, they have no idea where the keys are.

A quick call to the dealership and a quote of $180.00 to replace the key
(!!!) and I am motivated to find a way to remove the locks without damaging
the studs or wheels.

Here is a close up photo of a locked stud and an unlocked one:
http://www.oz.net/~dans/lock.jpg

I have basic metalworking gear at my disposal, files, dremel, drills,
c-clamps, etc. but nothing major such as oxy-acetylene or other welding
gear. Is this something that a local tire shop could handle for me? It
can't be too unusual of a situation....

You can buy a set of sockets for this. THey have internal teeth, and the
ID is tapered. You pick the socket with the ID appropriate to your
problem, tap it on with a hammer, then apply an air wrench.
John Manders

Are these the type where the outer turns free and can be removed by the key?
If so, removing them can be difficult.
I did hear of some locking wheel nuts like these that could be removed by
whacking the head with a hammer. The lock innards shattered and the outer
collar could be removed. Once you are at the actual bolt, removal becomes
easier.
How about joining a rescue organisation and managing to have a flat. The
mechanic they send to help might know how to get them off. It can't be the
first time the would have met the problem.
Let us know how you manage it.
Good luck.

John

JB

"Rex" wrote in message
k.net...
Dan wrote:
[...]

Not knowing that there are special sockets for this purpose, we used to just
get a socket that was a little larger than the lug nut and beat it on with a
hammer. Used an air impact wrench to do the rest. Never failed!

Good Luck.

Joe...

jim rozen

In article , SPAM says...

Here is a close up photo of a locked stud and an unlocked one:
http://www.oz.net/~dans/lock.jpg

Heck, if you can afford a BMW you can spring for 180 bucks
for the key.

Just find out their return policy first!

Jim (running, ducking)

please reply to:

Roger Shoaf

This is easy,

Go to an independent tire shop. They have a removal tool and can sell you a
new set of wheel locks a whole lot cheaper than BMW will.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.
"Dan" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

jim rozen

In article , Tom Quackenbush says...

Don't mind Jim - he's just jealous 'cause he can't put them fancy
lug nuts on _his_ BMW.

What's a lug nut?

:^)

Jim

please reply to:
B.B.

In article ,
"Dan" wrote:

Recently I purchased a used car from a private party for my wife. A couple
of days ago we noticed that there were wheel locks installed, so we called
the seller, and of course, they have no idea where the keys are.

A quick call to the dealership and a quote of $180.00 to replace the key
(!!!) and I am motivated to find a way to remove the locks without damaging
the studs or wheels.

Here is a close up photo of a locked stud and an unlocked one:
http://www.oz.net/~dans/lock.jpg

I have basic metalworking gear at my disposal, files, dremel, drills,
c-clamps, etc. but nothing major such as oxy-acetylene or other welding
gear. Is this something that a local tire shop could handle for me? It
can't be too unusual of a situation....

Thanks,
-Dan

Buzz by a few tire shops and ask 'em. They might pop 'em off for
"free" if you buy new lugnuts from 'em. Or, if your tires are worn, get
new tires, tell them beforehand that you've got locking lugs with no
key, and you want non-locking lugs by the time they finish. Then it's
still roughly the $180 the dealership wanted, but you'll get new tires.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Howard R Garner

jim rozen wrote:
In article , Tom Quackenbush says...

Don't mind Jim - he's just jealous 'cause he can't put them fancy
lug nuts on _his_ BMW.

What's a lug nut?

A baseball player for the minor league team in Lansing, Michigan!

Howard Garner
Bob May

That is an aftermarket lock.
Drill out the key part and the spinning part will come out. Underneath is a
standard hex stud.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

John Manders

"Grady" wrote in message
Look on Ebay. GM wanted 75 bucks for a key fob for my truck, had the

alarm,
lock etc. I picked up a new one on Ebay for 7 dollars.

He's still got to get the old locks off though. That's the difficult bit.
It's what the locks are meant to prevent.

John

John Manders

"JR North" wrote in message
If it's not super tight, you can turn it off with an air chisel and
sharp bit. Careful accuracy is important. Slip, and the wheel will get
damaged.

The outer turns free until the key is used.

John

JR North

If it's not super tight, you can turn it off with an air chisel and
sharp bit. Careful accuracy is important. Slip, and the wheel will get
damaged.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Dan wrote:
Recently I purchased a used car from a private party for my wife. A couple
of days ago we noticed that there were wheel locks installed, so we called
the seller, and of course, they have no idea where the keys are.

A quick call to the dealership and a quote of $180.00 to replace the key
(!!!) and I am motivated to find a way to remove the locks without damaging
the studs or wheels.

Here is a close up photo of a locked stud and an unlocked one:
http://www.oz.net/~dans/lock.jpg

I have basic metalworking gear at my disposal, files, dremel, drills,
c-clamps, etc. but nothing major such as oxy-acetylene or other welding
gear. Is this something that a local tire shop could handle for me? It
can't be too unusual of a situation....

Thanks,
-Dan

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Ken Cutt

JB wrote:
"Rex" wrote in message
k.net...

Dan wrote:

[...]

I was at a wreckers last summer and saw a set of mags that matched one
of my sons wheels . So thought they would be perfect to mount up winter
tires for him . One problem , wheel locks and no key . So went and asked
the manager if they had any keys . He told me to slide on a deep socket
and whack it up and down with a big hammer . Snapped the stud off about
the third whack . Luck
Ken Cutt

william_b_noble

if this is like the locks on one of my cars, the outside part just rotates -
it would take you a few hours of spining to wear it down internally enough
to pull off the sleeve and unscrew - but the picture is a little vague

"JB" wrote in message

"Rex" wrote in message
k.net...
Dan wrote:
[...]

william_b_noble

ok, I've actually done this, as opposed to the random speculation - my prior
german car had locking lug nuts where the key removed the outer ring so you
could access a regular lug nut - some idiot tried to pull them off with a
slide hammer, all that did was damage the lock cylinder. I used a diamond
wheel in a dremel tool and cut it off quite easily - first the separate the
outer cylinder from the end with the lock tumbler, then notch the top and
take it off. A new set of locks cost me about $35 from the dealer.

"Dan" wrote in message
.. .
Recently I purchased a used car from a private party for my wife. A
couple of days ago we noticed that there were wheel locks installed, so we
called the seller, and of course, they have no idea where the keys are.

A quick call to the dealership and a quote of $180.00 to replace the key
(!!!) and I am motivated to find a way to remove the locks without
damaging the studs or wheels.

Here is a close up photo of a locked stud and an unlocked one:
http://www.oz.net/~dans/lock.jpg

I have basic metalworking gear at my disposal, files, dremel, drills,
c-clamps, etc. but nothing major such as oxy-acetylene or other welding
gear. Is this something that a local tire shop could handle for me? It
can't be too unusual of a situation....

Thanks,
-Dan

Bob Chilcoat

I left my key on one of the lug nuts about a year ago. The key is somewhere
alongside the road. After trying many different methods of getting off the
old locks, I finally just sprung for the right tool. It took seconds to get
them off. This is the tool, and the only one I was able to get to work.

http://www.tooldesk.com/products/pro...il.aspx+id+887

"Dan" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

RAM^3

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
I left my key on one of the lug nuts about a year ago. The key is
somewhere
alongside the road. After trying many different methods of getting off
the
old locks, I finally just sprung for the right tool. It took seconds to
get
them off. This is the tool, and the only one I was able to get to work.

http://www.tooldesk.com/products/pro...il.aspx+id+887

Are you sure that http://www.tooldesk.com/products/pro...ail.aspx+id+90
might not be a better choice?

Bob Chilcoat

Might be. The item I recommended in my previous post is NOT the right one.
The tool I found is the LT 40025, which is the specific tool for removing
locking lugnuts. You can also get the LT 4300 set, which has both the LT
40025, plus a second LT 4200A socket (which is what I recommended in error)
for removing damaged non-locking lugnuts. I got an LT 4200A socket from a
local store first, who had recommended it, but it would not fit the locking
lugnuts on my car (a Plymouth Grand Voyager), even after trying to hammer it
on. Eventually I found the LT 40025, which worked perfectly in seconds. I
got mine from http://thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/MAN39.html. The LT 40025 is
only $18.60 from them. A bargain if you need it.

"RAM^3" wrote in message
"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message

Are you sure that

http://www.tooldesk.com/products/pro...ail.aspx+id+90
might not be a better choice?

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 30 May 2005 18:01:16 -0500, the inscrutable "Dan"
spake:

Here is a close up photo of a locked stud and an unlocked one:
http://www.oz.net/~dans/lock.jpg

I have basic metalworking gear at my disposal, files, dremel, drills,
c-clamps, etc. but nothing major such as oxy-acetylene or other welding
gear. Is this something that a local tire shop could handle for me? It
can't be too unusual of a situation....

Got a die grinder and a 3" cutoff wheel to fit it? Grind a groove
in the top surface of the inner lock piece and use a bigass honkin'
screwdriver on the bastid.

Otherwise, find a wheel/tire place who has a matching key and order a
replacement from them.

California's 4 Seasons: Fire, Flood, Drought, & Earthquake
--------------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com NoteSHADES(tm) glare guards
carl mciver

"Dan" wrote in message
.. .
| Recently I purchased a used car from a private party for my wife. A
couple
| of days ago we noticed that there were wheel locks installed, so we called
| the seller, and of course, they have no idea where the keys are.
|
| A quick call to the dealership and a quote of $180.00 to replace the key
| (!!!) and I am motivated to find a way to remove the locks without
damaging
| the studs or wheels.
|
| Here is a close up photo of a locked stud and an unlocked one:
| http://www.oz.net/~dans/lock.jpg
|
| I have basic metalworking gear at my disposal, files, dremel, drills,
| c-clamps, etc. but nothing major such as oxy-acetylene or other welding
| gear. Is this something that a local tire shop could handle for me? It
| can't be too unusual of a situation....
|
| Thanks,
| -Dan

Dan, I had the exact same thing happen to me one time. I took a large
drift punch and bent it over here and there a bit. Stretched out the stud
enough to let it spin off. Replaced the stud and got four new correct lug
nuts. No damage to anything, and the only risk was that the punch would
slip.

Snow thrower wheel drive problem Jim Home Ownership 4 March 2nd 05 03:03 AM
Sharpening drill bits - use fine or course wheel?? davefr Metalworking 6 February 7th 05 06:03 PM
Bandsaw wheel alignment? Woodworking 6 January 7th 05 01:40 AM
diamond cutting wheel question Bob H UK diy 13 November 28th 04 01:01 PM
New bandsaw saga PartII (long) Bruce Woodworking 0 December 30th 03 06:41 PM