Two and a Half

Dan

That doesn't look like any BMW locking nut I've seen over here in the UK but
then again you never know with those crafty Germans!!.

If they are a BMW standard locking nut you should be able to get a BMW
non-dealership type garages to remove them as they normally have a set of
keys to suit all.I reckon thet the dealership is trying rip you off. Try
posting a help notice on some of the UK BMW chat groups your more likely to
find the info you need.

Had a Mercedes with the same problem had to get someone to cut them off with
a blow torch eventually and I had to get four new alloys.... never mind the
insurance company took care of it as they proved merecedes had buggered them
up on the last service.

Good luck

Craig

"Dan" wrote in message
.. .
Recently I purchased a used car from a private party for my wife. A

couple
of days ago we noticed that there were wheel locks installed, so we called
the seller, and of course, they have no idea where the keys are.

A quick call to the dealership and a quote of $180.00 to replace the key
(!!!) and I am motivated to find a way to remove the locks without

damaging
the studs or wheels.

Here is a close up photo of a locked stud and an unlocked one:
http://www.oz.net/~dans/lock.jpg

I have basic metalworking gear at my disposal, files, dremel, drills,
c-clamps, etc. but nothing major such as oxy-acetylene or other welding
gear. Is this something that a local tire shop could handle for me? It
can't be too unusual of a situation....

Thanks,
-Dan