Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Jam nuts, locking nuts

"Phil Kangas" wrote in news:h4djeh$2g6$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

A couple of weeks ago I posted this solution
to those pesky locknuts that constantly come
undone. Well, here's how the local loggers
deal with this, dirt cheap and easy.....
They hammer the nuts tight again and then
simply SPOT WELD the nut to the spindle!
Who cares about taking it apart again, that's
the next owners problem, eih?
phil ;))

12july09
So this is what we're gonna do with this situation:
Inner nut 3/8 long first on and has a 1/4 pin sticking
out of the face. Next is the holed washer 3/16 thick
anchored in the spindle groove with enough holes around
to match most any position of the inner nut. Then the
outer nut 3/4 thick with a 0.20 slot cut halfway through
square to the axis of the nut and leaving a flap 0.15 thick
with a 1/4 nc csk shcs to 'bend over' the flap left by the
slot to lock that nut and we outta be golden, eih?
Might be way cheaper to order them from W-H
but this is way more fun 'cause there's only one !

I'm coming in a bit late in the discussion, but if the idea is to keep a
nut from loosening, you could use the Soviet space program approach. I
saw this many years ago at an exhibit of Soviet hardware at the Boston
Science Museum. Instead of the safety wire approach favored in the US,
they use a thin, soft washer under the nut. Once everything is tight,
they pry up one edge of the washer against a flat on the nut. No issues
with lining up holes or whatever, you can lock the nut in ANY position.
The nut can't unscrew because of the tab folded up against it, and the
washer can't come loose if the nut doesn't. I thought it was very
elegant in its simplicity.

It was very interesting comparing their stuff to ours. Instead of hex
head cap screws & Phillips heads used in US space hardware, they still
used slotted screws. You could even see where the screwdrivers had
slipped and they had put a good scratch in the metal. This was mostly
satellite hardware & some of their Venus probes. I don't recall seeing
examples of any of their manned space hardware.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug White wrote:
... a thin, soft washer under the nut. Once everything is tight,
they pry up one edge of the washer against a flat on the nut. ...
The nut can't unscrew because of the tab folded up against it, and the
washer can't come loose if the nut doesn't. ...

Well, the washer & nut can turn together, unless the washer is keyed to
the shaft (I have stuff with that approach), or the washer is so soft
that it is mashed into the material being held.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've seen exmples where a round flat washer is used between two nuts, and
there are two bends in the washer, one over the flat of one nut, and the
other bend over a flat on the other nut.

Even without a separate tab to engage a shaft slot, this method is probably
at least moderately secure, and possibly very secure if appropriate torque
limits are met, and not too much force is used to create the bends in the
washer (not a hammer and punch on small hardware).

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Doug White" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Doug White wrote:
... a thin, soft washer under the nut. Once everything

is tight,
they pry up one edge of the washer against a flat on the

nut. ...
The nut can't unscrew because of the tab folded up

against it, and the
washer can't come loose if the nut doesn't. ...

Well, the washer & nut can turn together, unless the

washer is keyed to
the shaft (I have stuff with that approach), or the washer

is so soft
that it is mashed into the material being held.

Bob

This is the log loader clam swivel bearing that is being
retained.
There are no thin bendable tab washers that will survive the
beating
which is why I chose the 3/16 thick holed washer approach.
Apparently the most secure method of choice is weld metal!
Even when the tack weld breaks it ain't coming
Only a purist would want a locknut setup like mine. ;))
phil