Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Phil Kangas[_3_] Phil Kangas[_3_] is offline

Default Jam nuts, locking nuts

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Doug White wrote:
... a thin, soft washer under the nut. Once everything

is tight,
they pry up one edge of the washer against a flat on the

nut. ...
The nut can't unscrew because of the tab folded up

against it, and the
washer can't come loose if the nut doesn't. ...

Well, the washer & nut can turn together, unless the

washer is keyed to
the shaft (I have stuff with that approach), or the washer

is so soft
that it is mashed into the material being held.

Bob

This is the log loader clam swivel bearing that is being
retained.
There are no thin bendable tab washers that will survive the
beating
which is why I chose the 3/16 thick holed washer approach.
Apparently the most secure method of choice is weld metal!
Even when the tack weld breaks it ain't coming
Only a purist would want a locknut setup like mine. ;))
phil