Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Antique electrical vault - Pictures

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.co...ctrical-Vault/

I worked in this vault today for a couple of hours. Most everything was
live.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 20:42:20 -0500, Ignoramus22662
wrote:

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.co...ctrical-Vault/

I worked in this vault today for a couple of hours. Most everything was
live.

It's at times like that, one starts to appreciate OSHA, isn't it? g

Just curious, why were you working there today?

--
Let no man imagine that he has no influence. Whoever he may be, and
wherever he may be placed, the man who thinks becomes a light and a power.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.co...ctrical-Vault/

I worked in this vault today for a couple of hours. Most everything was
live.

It's at times like that, one starts to appreciate OSHA, isn't it? g

Yes, exactly. This vault is clearly well made with good, expensive
components, but without the modern approach to electrical safety.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.co...ctrical-Vault/

I worked in this vault today for a couple of hours. Most everything was
live.

It's at times like that, one starts to appreciate OSHA, isn't it? g

Yes, exactly. This vault is clearly well made with good, expensive
components, but without the modern approach to electrical safety.

the rigid conduit looks quite modern.

The 3-phase switches would go well in a movie set with an electric chair
scene.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-08-29, Paul Drahn wrote:
the rigid conduit looks quite modern.

But the cable inside looks very old, insulation has all hardened and
cracks, like very old asphalt.

The 3-phase switches would go well in a movie set with an electric chair
scene.

They looked so polished and beautiful.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus22662 wrote:

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.co...al-Electrical-

Vault/

I worked in this vault today for a couple of hours. Most everything was
live.

Do you know what the voltages were on the busbars, etc?

We had some stuff at Washington University that looked like they dated
to the 1904 World's Fair, which they inherited some of the buildings
from. That live-front switchboard stuff ran 1040 V.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-08-29, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus22662 wrote:

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.co...al-Electrical-

Vault/

I worked in this vault today for a couple of hours. Most everything was
live.

Do you know what the voltages were on the busbars, etc?

240 volts

We had some stuff at Washington University that looked like they dated
to the 1904 World's Fair, which they inherited some of the buildings
from. That live-front switchboard stuff ran 1040 V.

That would be a lot scarier than 240, as it can jump farther through
the air.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.co...ctrical-Vault/

I worked in this vault today for a couple of hours. Most everything was
live.

It's at times like that, one starts to appreciate OSHA, isn't it? g

Yes, exactly. This vault is clearly well made with good, expensive
components, but without the modern approach to electrical safety.

That one went PSA on ya, did it, Ig?

--
Let no man imagine that he has no influence. Whoever he may be, and
wherever he may be placed, the man who thinks becomes a light and a power.
-- Henry George
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus22662 fired this volley in
:

I worked in this vault today for a couple of hours. Most everything was
live.

Employee -- "Boss, I might git kilt, if'n I touched one o' them bus
bars!"
Boss -- "Then don't touch 'em."

It was a whole different philosophy -- one about people's being
responsible for their own actions. Yeah, it was a more dangerous
existance, but at least we didn't have 'govenanny' breathing down our
shirt collars all day.

I love the fact that those rivetted bus bars 'floated' on rollers to
manage expansion with heating from higher current!

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-08-29, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus22662 fired this volley in
:

I worked in this vault today for a couple of hours. Most everything was
live.

Employee -- "Boss, I might git kilt, if'n I touched one o' them bus
bars!"
Boss -- "Then don't touch 'em."

It was a whole different philosophy -- one about people's being
responsible for their own actions. Yeah, it was a more dangerous
existance, but at least we didn't have 'govenanny' breathing down our
shirt collars all day.

I love the fact that those rivetted bus bars 'floated' on rollers to
manage expansion with heating from higher current!

Lloyd, while I loved the antique appearance and the stimulating
apprehension of imminent danger, I would prefer modern equipment any
time, thank you. People make mistakes from time to time acd one
mistake should not cause death.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 09:00:09 -0500, Ignoramus21834
wrote:

On 2014-08-29, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

That is so true. Sometimes safety requirements may seem over the top
but it is so easy to stumble against something or to misread the
bottle or make some other mistake. Someone dying or being suffering
severe injuries shouldn't be the the price of a simple mistake.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-08-29, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

Lloyd mistakes lucking out in who he was born to, and when, and where,
with virtue.

It's a much better world, of course, when people should be doomed to
working highly dangerous jobs just because they have the wrong parents.
And of course, it's a much better world if, when they die, their children
and dependents all starve.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2014-08-29, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

Exactly. I spent about 3 more hours there today. It was very clear to
me that only one inept body movement or mistake would lead to my death.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-08-29, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

This is a separate issue. I am very happy as to who I was born to and
how my life turned out. And yet, I am glad that I live in a less
dangerous world compared to when this vault was installed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2014-08-29, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

why would you spend 3 hours in an electrical vault? It's not a break room.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus21834 wrote:

I am glad that I live in a less
dangerous world compared to when this vault was installed.

Two words: Ebola Pandemic

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/29/2014 4:41 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:

Exactly. I spent about 3 more hours there today. It was very clear to
me that only one inept body movement or mistake would lead to my death.

There are lots of places in many industrial facilities that meet that
description; this looks like a fairly benign one to me compared to some
of the places I've seen/been...

why would you spend 3 hours in an electrical vault? It's not a break room.

Indeed, it would, one would think, be off limits and only entered when
absolutely necessary. What surprises me more than the facility itself
is the being there...but, we've been given no klew of what iggy was up
to so hard to judge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 16:59:22 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Ignoramus21834 wrote:

I am glad that I live in a less
dangerous world compared to when this vault was installed.

Two words: Ebola Pandemic

Ohmigodwe'reallgonnadie!

--
Let no man imagine that he has no influence. Whoever he may be, and
wherever he may be placed, the man who thinks becomes a light and a power.
-- Henry George
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Iggy,

What building was this in, and do you know for what purpose?

The switch gear appears to have some carbon-to-carbon contactors, and
some copper-to-carbon.

The buss overhead is reminiscent in structure and size with telephone
central exchange equipment. Were there any MG sets or motors or
BBBBIIIIIGGGGGG batteries nearby?

Take care.

Brian Lawson.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

wrote:

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.co...ctrical-Vault/

I worked in this vault today for a couple of hours. Most everything was
live.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-08-29, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus21834 wrote:

I am glad that I live in a less
dangerous world compared to when this vault was installed.

Two words: Ebola Pandemic

You can google "aporkalypse" to read about a terrifying epidemic
decimating the population of pigs. If something like that pig virus
appeared that affected people...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/29/2014 5:59 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus21834 wrote:

I am glad that I live in a less
dangerous world compared to when this vault was installed.

Two words: Ebola Pandemic

1918 flu. Ebola: 1500 dead; 1918: 50,000,000 - 100,000,000 dead
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus21834 wrote:

I am glad that I live in a less
dangerous world compared to when this vault was installed.

Two words: Ebola Pandemic

1918 flu. Ebola: 1500 dead; 1918: 50,000,000 - 100,000,000 dead

You scored a clean win

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2014-08-29, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

But, if you drive a motor vehicle on public roads you are doing
exactly that. Unless you believe that air bags will save you in a head
on collision at a 140 MPH closing speed.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.co...ctrical-Vault/

I worked in this vault today for a couple of hours. Most everything was
live.

the 1000 volt circuits he mentioned are probably for elevator service.
Extremely long flexible cables!

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, August 29, 2014 6:22:13 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 08/29/2014 4:41 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:

wrote

Exactly. I spent about 3 more hours there today. It was very clear to

me that only one inept body movement or mistake would lead to my death.

A modern spare main electrical room is always nice (costly, of course), but live service never has to be interrupted - or the interruption takes considerably shorter time, if any - while you work on the first room.

There are lots of places in many industrial facilities that meet that

description; this looks like a fairly benign one to me compared to some

of the places I've seen/been...

why would you spend 3 hours in an electrical vault? It's not a break room.

Indeed, it would, one would think, be off limits and only entered when

absolutely necessary. What surprises me more than the facility itself

is the being there ... but, we've been given no klew of what iggy was up

to so hard to judge.

I'm just so, so sure. I don't know who is better known in here for gimp and recycling issues than ig. Do you?

I wonder. How did he feel with all those big bulky heavy solid copper bus and breakers just staring at him? How'd he feel being around all that 500 wire?

(I'd love for him to say)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.co...ctrical-Vault/

I worked in this vault today for a couple of hours. Most everything was
live.

Must be nice and dry down there. There is little to no visible
corrosion on any of the buss bars or even the data plates on the back
planes

Thanks! for the photos. What..1940s? Based on the paint color. Older
stuff tended to be japaned black

Im surprised no one required guarding.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.co...ctrical-Vault/

I worked in this vault today for a couple of hours. Most everything was
live.

Must be nice and dry down there. There is little to no visible
corrosion on any of the buss bars or even the data plates on the back
planes

Thanks! for the photos. What..1940s? Based on the paint color. Older
stuff tended to be japaned black

Im surprised no one required guarding.

Not sure what the date is, I could not find the date.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/31/2014 9:27 AM, Ignoramus29500 wrote:

Thanks! for the photos. What..1940s? Based on the paint color. Older
stuff tended to be japaned black

Im surprised no one required guarding.

Not sure what the date is, I could not find the date.

No reason to know but looks much older than that to my eye...

What's it powering, ig? Tag says was built for a printing/publishing
company--is it associated with that gear or is it just general building
service as another hypothesized?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus21834 wrote:

I am glad that I live in a less
dangerous world compared to when this vault was installed.

Two words: Ebola Pandemic

1918 flu. Ebola: 1500 dead; 1918: 50,000,000 - 100,000,000 dead

Ebola: 1,500+ dead so far, just appeared in two more countries. The
final score isn't even close to in yet. This Ebola strain seems to be
both more contagious and less lethal than previous outbreaks both of
which give it a lot more potential to spread. Combine that with the ease
of international travel these days and the Fat Lady isn't even warming
up yet.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:58:45 -0500, Ignoramus22662

On 2014-08-29, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus22662 wrote:

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.co...al-Electrical-

Vault/

I worked in this vault today for a couple of hours. Most everything was
live.

Do you know what the voltages were on the busbars, etc?

240 volts

We had some stuff at Washington University that looked like they dated
to the 1904 World's Fair, which they inherited some of the buildings
from. That live-front switchboard stuff ran 1040 V.

That would be a lot scarier than 240, as it can jump farther through
the air.

At 240 Volts it's more of a shock hazzard than a kill you dead hazzard
if you touch it. Now if you would short it out, it looks to be enough
current there to cause quite a large arc flash, that could lead to
some nasty burns or eye damage.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

1918 flu. Ebola: 1500 dead; 1918: 50,000,000 - 100,000,000 dead

Ebola: 1,500+ dead so far, just appeared in two more countries. The
final score isn't even close to in yet. This Ebola strain seems to be
both more contagious and less lethal than previous outbreaks both of
which give it a lot more potential to spread. Combine that with the ease
of international travel these days and the Fat Lady isn't even warming
up yet.

Further:

The Ebola outbreak in West Africa is much worse than official figures
show, and other countries are unintentionally making it harder to
control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Dr. Tom
Frieden told CNN on Tuesday.

"We've seen outbreaks of Ebola before. This is the first epidemic
spreading widely through many countries, and it is spiraling out of
control," said Frieden, who recently returned from a trip to the region.
"It's bad now, much worse than the numbers show. It's going to get even
worse in the very near future."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:

On 08/31/2014 9:27 AM, Ignoramus29500 wrote:

Thanks! for the photos. What..1940s? Based on the paint color. Older
stuff tended to be japaned black

Im surprised no one required guarding.

Not sure what the date is, I could not find the date.

No reason to know but looks much older than that to my eye...

What's it powering, ig? Tag says was built for a printing/publishing
company--is it associated with that gear or is it just general building
service as another hypothesized?

--

Didn't Iggy scrap a big web press recently? Perhaps removing more scrap
from the facility?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/2/2014 11:59 AM, Pete C. wrote:
control," said Frieden, who recently returned from a trip to the region.
"It's bad now, much worse than the numbers show. It's going to get even
worse in the very near future."

I agree that Ebola will get much worse. I was going for brevity in my
post. And felt that even at "much worse", it will not approach the 50
to 100 MILLION lost to the flu. That would be 50,000 times worse.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/02/2014 11:01 AM, Pete C. wrote:
dpb wrote:

What's it powering, ig? Tag says was built for a printing/publishing
company--is it associated with that gear or is it just general building
service as another hypothesized?

Didn't Iggy scrap a big web press recently? Perhaps removing more scrap
from the facility?

Could be, would be interesting to know just what its function is (or was
altho said much if not all is still hot iiuc)...