Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy333 Randy333 is offline

Default Antique electrical vault - Pictures

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 21:58:45 -0500, Ignoramus22662

On 2014-08-29, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus22662 wrote:

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.co...al-Electrical-

Vault/

I worked in this vault today for a couple of hours. Most everything was
live.

Do you know what the voltages were on the busbars, etc?

240 volts

We had some stuff at Washington University that looked like they dated
to the 1904 World's Fair, which they inherited some of the buildings
from. That live-front switchboard stuff ran 1040 V.

That would be a lot scarier than 240, as it can jump farther through
the air.

At 240 Volts it's more of a shock hazzard than a kill you dead hazzard
if you touch it. Now if you would short it out, it looks to be enough
current there to cause quite a large arc flash, that could lead to
some nasty burns or eye damage.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

---