Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B. slocomb John B. slocomb is offline

Default Antique electrical vault - Pictures

On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 16:15:18 -0500, Ignoramus21834

On 2014-08-29, wrote:
On Fri, 29 Aug 2014 09:00:09 -0500, Ignoramus21834

On 2014-08-29, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus22662 fired this volley in
:

I worked in this vault today for a couple of hours. Most everything was
live.

Employee -- "Boss, I might git kilt, if'n I touched one o' them bus
bars!"
Boss -- "Then don't touch 'em."

It was a whole different philosophy -- one about people's being
responsible for their own actions. Yeah, it was a more dangerous
existance, but at least we didn't have 'govenanny' breathing down our
shirt collars all day.

I love the fact that those rivetted bus bars 'floated' on rollers to
manage expansion with heating from higher current!

Lloyd, while I loved the antique appearance and the stimulating
apprehension of imminent danger, I would prefer modern equipment any
time, thank you. People make mistakes from time to time acd one
mistake should not cause death.

That is so true. Sometimes safety requirements may seem over the top
but it is so easy to stumble against something or to misread the
bottle or make some other mistake. Someone dying or being suffering
severe injuries shouldn't be the the price of a simple mistake.

Exactly. I spent about 3 more hours there today. It was very clear to
me that only one inept body movement or mistake would lead to my death.

But, if you drive a motor vehicle on public roads you are doing
exactly that. Unless you believe that air bags will save you in a head
on collision at a 140 MPH closing speed.
--
Cheers,

John B.