Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Palm ratchet with one flat side?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

I need something like that. It's $38. Those are for 10 mm and 13
mm nuts. Could be larger. I don't need a directional switch.

Can you point me to other examples of those palm ratchets with one
flat side?

Any special names for that type of palm ratchet?

Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 1 Jul 2014 19:37:38 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg
I need something like that. It's $38. Those are for 10 mm and 13
mm nuts. Could be larger. I don't need a directional switch.
Can you point me to other examples of those palm ratchets with one

flat side?
Any special names for that type of palm ratchet?
Thanks.

=================
finger ratchet
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece...set-94011.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piec...set-93260.html
http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com...FTJo7AodHCwAPg

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg
I need something like that. It's $38. Those are for 10 mm and 13
mm nuts. Could be larger. I don't need a directional switch.
Can you point me to other examples of those palm ratchets with one

flat side?
Any special names for that type of palm ratchet?
Thanks.

=================
finger ratchet
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece...set-94011.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piec...set-93260.html
http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com...FTJo7AodHCwAPg

I would NOT recommend the HF thumbwheel ratchets. Ive had every single
one fail shortly after purchasing and using one. The mechanisms
inside...not so good.

One of the few things HF sells, that I do not recommend purchasing
for any type of useage.

The colored sockets...if kept in a tool bag and allowed to vibrate in
a moving vehicle...will wipe off all the color in a very short period
of time...along with the size markings.

The sockets themselves..Great!! Havent busted one yet and Ive abused
them badly.

Gunner

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DTJ DTJ is offline

On 02-Jul-14 3:37 AM, John Doe wrote:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

I need something like that. It's $38. Those are for 10 mm and 13
mm nuts. Could be larger. I don't need a directional switch.

Can you point me to other examples of those palm ratchets with one
flat side?

Any special names for that type of palm ratchet?

Thanks.

Try a google image search & look for one the resembles what you want?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 11:15:08 +0800, DTJ wrote:

On 02-Jul-14 3:37 AM, John Doe wrote:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

I need something like that. It's $38. Those are for 10 mm and 13
mm nuts. Could be larger. I don't need a directional switch.

Can you point me to other examples of those palm ratchets with one
flat side?

Any special names for that type of palm ratchet?

Thanks.

Try a google image search & look for one the resembles what you want?

Lots with 3 flat sides - - -

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DTJ DTJ is offline

On 02-Jul-14 11:41 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 11:15:08 +0800, DTJ wrote:

On 02-Jul-14 3:37 AM, John Doe wrote:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

I need something like that. It's $38. Those are for 10 mm and 13
mm nuts. Could be larger. I don't need a directional switch.

Can you point me to other examples of those palm ratchets with one
flat side?

Any special names for that type of palm ratchet?

Thanks.

Try a google image search & look for one the resembles what you want?

Lots with 3 flat sides - - -

They'll be the triangles

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg
I need something like that. It's $38. Those are for 10 mm and 13
mm nuts. Could be larger. I don't need a directional switch.
Can you point me to other examples of those palm ratchets with one

flat side?
Any special names for that type of palm ratchet?
Thanks.

=================
finger ratchet
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece...set-94011.html

+1

I have a set of these and they're really handy. They work especially
well with small locknuts, and nuts on long bolts with tons of lightly
damaged or filled thread, where the nut sticks.

--
You can ignore reality, but you cannot ignore
the consequences of ignoring reality.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Really? What breaks, the spring? Mine are holding up great, though I
don't use them all that often. The 3/8 is what I usually grab and it
hasn't skipped a beat in a decade.

The colored sockets...if kept in a tool bag and allowed to vibrate in
a moving vehicle...will wipe off all the color in a very short period
of time...along with the size markings.

The sockets themselves..Great!! Havent busted one yet and Ive abused
them badly.

I love their Pittsburgh laser-etched sockets. They're easy to read and
it doesn't wear off.

--
You can ignore reality, but you cannot ignore
the consequences of ignoring reality.
--Ayn Rand
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DTJ jkl zkf.com wrote:

John Doe wrote:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

I need something like that. It's $38. Those are for 10 mm and
13 mm nuts. Could be larger. I don't need a directional switch.

Can you point me to other examples of those palm ratchets with
one flat side?

Any special names for that type of palm ratchet?

Thanks.

Try a google image search & look for one the resembles what you
want?

I use several sources for searching, including images. I've looked
at a jillion images. The linked image product appears to be one of
a kind. One version is available from the UK "Sealey AK6959".
Other versions appear to be imported to the United States "VIM
VIM-FR100" "LASER 5433". The Sealey version is described as
"hardened and tempered Chrome Vanadium steel". The VIM version is
described as "heat treated alloy steel, with bright chrome
plating". They all come in the same looking case with different
engraving on the palm ratchets. Seems there is no high definition
picture of the VIM-FR100.

I ordered the less expensive VIM VIM-FR100. I will check to see if
it has the same number of ratchet teeth (72).

For the record... I have learned other names for "palm ratchet"...
"thumb ratchet" "finger ratchet".

I guess the one pointed to in the link might be described as a
"palm socket", apparently one-of-a-kind.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The ratched mechanism..the teeth start breaking off. Very..very poor
material and heat treat on the (3) sets Ive purchased.

In 2007..I bought a full set of tools for each of my vehicles. Full
set. Had money then..and spent $300 at HF. Which buys a ****load of
tools.

I have all of them except those thumbwheel ratchets.

The colored sockets...if kept in a tool bag and allowed to vibrate in
a moving vehicle...will wipe off all the color in a very short period
of time...along with the size markings.

The sockets themselves..Great!! Havent busted one yet and Ive abused
them badly.

I love their Pittsburgh laser-etched sockets. They're easy to read and
it doesn't wear off.

I bought 3 sets of 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" sockets in metric and standard.
The black ones. Within 3 yrs..damned near every bit of black was
done, along with any identifying marks as to what size they were.
They are NOT the impact sockets. They were black "painted" like the
colored ones and were shiney under the finish. And had NO, NO stamping
of the size on them.

I took them to (2) HF stores..both refused to exchange them for even
cheaper sockets as there was nothing wrong with them. When I asked
the guy to hand me the 9/16th so I could show him something...he
fumbled around for a few minutes trying to read the sizes and then
closed his register, and told me he was going to lunch.

Now when someone wants to borrow a socket..Ill hand them a handful and
a cheap ratchet and tell em to enoy.

Shrug. Never did break or deform one..just cant figure out what its
size is...metric and/or standard.

-

"[F]ar from being the Great Satan, I would say that we
are the Great Protector. We have sent men and women
from the armed forces of the United States to other parts
of the world throughout the past century to put down oppression.
We defeated Fascism. We defeated Communism.
We saved Europe in World War I and World War II.
We were willing to do it, glad to do it. We went to
Korea. We went to Vietnam. All in the interest of
preserving the rights of people.

And when all those conflicts were over, what did we
do? Did we stay and conquer? Did we say, "Okay, we
defeated Germany. Now Germany belongs to us? We defeated Japan,
so Japan belongs to us"? No. What did we do?
We built them up. We gave them democratic systems which
they have embraced totally to their soul.
And did we ask for any land? No.

The only land we ever asked for was
enough land to bury our dead."

General Colin Powell

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

snip

================
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_2x3twf94x5_b
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=804-1025
http://www.etch-o-matic.com/eom.htm

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Wed, 02 Jul 2014 12:05:48 -0700

wrote:

[...]

I see a Business Opportunity. Small mill- chuck up the socket and
"engrave" the size on it.
Hmm, robotics project for next year ....
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 7:48:21 AM UTC-7, John Doe wrote:
DTJ jkl zkf.com wrote:

John Doe wrote:

[...]

Don't know if this will work for you. I've had a set for years. Never had a problem. I'm not big on buying from Garbage Freight like Mark Wieber and his clique of idiots are. I prefer US made tools and don't mind paying extra:

http://www.chapmanmfg.com/MasterKit.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 15:34:06 -0500, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 12:05:48 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

snip
Shrug. Never did break or deform one..just cant figure out what its
size is...metric and/or standard.

snip
================
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_2x3twf94x5_b
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=804-1025
http://www.etch-o-matic.com/eom.htm

I have (2) of these and probably 8 gallons of various etching fluids

http://www.ecemmi.com/

That being said..I bought a full, brimming, overflowing 5 gallon
bucket full of sockets from a second hand store that went tits up...
for $80..after hand sorting out all the Chinese and Tawaines sockets.
I bought 5 gallons of SnapOn, Craftsman, Proto etc etc sockets from
tiny little sockets of 1/8" all the way up to 2".

That included another 5 gal bucket of breaker bars, ratchets,
extenions etc etc etc.

(I already have (2) sets of 3/4" drive sockets and drives up to
4"..but only (1) 3/4" ratchet )

So I didnt bother hand polishing the black paint off and then making a
stencil for each size..using it 3 times then tossing it...or hitting
each and everyone with an electric engraver..trying to buzz my way
through decent chrome to mark the size on each socket.

I spent another $50 on combination wrenches..another 5 gallon bucket
full..up to 3". Probably 90 combination and end wrenches in metric,
standard and a dozen or so "Whitworth"... (needed for my upcoming
Royal Enfield , Super Meteor motorcycle rebuild)

It just ****ed me off that they ****ing PAINTED those sockets and
under normal use..it all ****ing wore off.

Gunner

-

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "A simple procedure invovling lasers" (No sharks, just lasers) was Palm ratchet with one flat side?

pyotr filipivich on Wed, 02 Jul 2014 16:14:59

wrote:

[...]

Arrghhh!

I've been doing "this" too long. Walking through the Safeway this
afternoon, "bing - that's how to do it!"
At least the numbering part of it. "A simple procedure,
involving lasers." Laser! Oh that's and even better idea!

Anyway, a mini-mill and a batch of canned programs to locate the
numbers on the side. Use a ball nose and just touch down. Or use The
Lasers!
--
pyotr filipivich