Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Adding vibration to lathe cutting tool to aid cutting

Years ago I worked a ultrasound equipment manufacturer, one client
wanted a lathe tool holder modified with our ultrasonic transducer to
vibrate the tool 40,000 to 600,000 times a second. The amount of tool
movement is small (micrometers) and adjustable. The job was never completed.

Is this something that is in production?

Do you see how it would help in cutting.

Mikek
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"amdx" wrote in message
Years ago I worked a ultrasound equipment manufacturer, one client
wanted a lathe tool holder modified with our ultrasonic transducer
vibrate the tool 40,000 to 600,000 times a second. The amount of
tool movement is small (micrometers) and adjustable. The job was
never completed.

Is this something that is in production?

Do you see how it would help in cutting.

Mikek

You could experiment by boring out steel water pipe with a 1/2"
diameter by 8" long boring bar. You won't need the transducer.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 11:30:10 -0500, amdx wrote:

Years ago I worked a ultrasound equipment manufacturer, one client
wanted a lathe tool holder modified with our ultrasonic transducer to
vibrate the tool 40,000 to 600,000 times a second. The amount of tool
movement is small (micrometers) and adjustable. The job was never completed.

Is this something that is in production?

Do you see how it would help in cutting.

Mikek

What was it supposed to do? Reduce chip welding? Help with breaking
chips?

I've experimented with one of these entirely mechanical devices:
http://www.botek.de/products/single-...guage=en&cl=en
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtWYAA3fAaA

The oscillation is axial and the amplitude is pretty small, on the
order of a few tenths to a few thousandths. But that's in the range of
the feed per rev of a gun drill, so it's effective at thinning and
breaking the chips.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 12:59:47 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"amdx" wrote in message
Years ago I worked a ultrasound equipment manufacturer, one client
wanted a lathe tool holder modified with our ultrasonic transducer
vibrate the tool 40,000 to 600,000 times a second. The amount of
tool movement is small (micrometers) and adjustable. The job was
never completed.

Is this something that is in production?

Do you see how it would help in cutting.

Mikek

You could experiment by boring out steel water pipe with a 1/2"
diameter by 8" long boring bar. You won't need the transducer.
-jsw

ROFLMAO!! Indeed!!

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"amdx" wrote in message
Years ago I worked a ultrasound equipment manufacturer, one client
wanted a lathe tool holder modified with our ultrasonic transducer
vibrate the tool 40,000 to 600,000 times a second. The amount of
tool movement is small (micrometers) and adjustable. The job was
never completed.

Is this something that is in production?

Do you see how it would help in cutting.

Mikek

You could experiment by boring out steel water pipe with a 1/2"
diameter by 8" long boring bar. You won't need the transducer.

Yes, but he wants _industrial_production_line_ chatter, Jim.

--
It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are
not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"amdx" wrote in message
Years ago I worked a ultrasound equipment manufacturer, one client
wanted a lathe tool holder modified with our ultrasonic transducer
vibrate the tool 40,000 to 600,000 times a second. The amount of
tool movement is small (micrometers) and adjustable. The job was
never completed.

Is this something that is in production?

Do you see how it would help in cutting.

Mikek

You could experiment by boring out steel water pipe with a 1/2"
diameter by 8" long boring bar. You won't need the transducer.

Yes, but he wants _industrial_production_line_ chatter, Jim.

Machinists gossiping about "Scandal"???

Sorry, I made example #1 of products and the applicable test stations,
but deviously evaded entanglement in their subsequent mass production.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

Sorry, I made example #1 of products and the applicable test stations, but
deviously evaded entanglement in their subsequent mass production.
-jsw

Using a higgs field generator prevents any entanglement in mass production.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 21:07:10 -0700, "Howard Beal"
wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

Sorry, I made example #1 of products and the applicable test stations, but
deviously evaded entanglement in their subsequent mass production.
-jsw

Using a higgs field generator prevents any entanglement in mass production.

Best Regards
Tom.

But what do you do with the extra Bolsons?

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

Sorry, I made example #1 of products and the applicable test
stations, but
deviously evaded entanglement in their subsequent mass production.
-jsw

Using a higgs field generator prevents any entanglement in mass
production.

Best Regards
Tom.

But what do you do with the extra Bolsons?

A steady stream of Bozons cycled through the job of Production
misManager. The nameplate by the door was a chalkboard.

The interview test was to have them pick up a screwdriver. Grabbing
the blade end qualified them for management.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/10/2014 1:17 PM, Ned Simmons wrote:
[...]

I watched the video, That could have been the idea behind the
ultrasound applied to a cutting tool. I seem to have a memory about
cutting extremely hard materials also.
Others seem to have shown some ignorance on the subject, but that's ok,
it is only because they are ignorant on the subject. So they poke fun.:-)
Mikek

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"amdx" wrote in message
Others seem to have shown some ignorance on the subject, but that's
ok,
it is only because they are ignorant on the subject. So they poke
fun.:-)
Mikek

Lighten up, r.c.m is a tough audience for me too.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/11/2014 11:26 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"amdx" wrote in message
Others seem to have shown some ignorance on the subject, but that's
ok,
it is only because they are ignorant on the subject. So they poke
fun.:-)
Mikek

Lighten up, r.c.m is a tough audience for me too.
-jsw

Aw, I wasn't that hard on them :-)
You want to see a tough audience, see rec.boats.
Not much boat info, but a lot of entertainment.
In there, if you don't agree with a liberal philosophy
you are obviously a racist.
Mikek

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 10:42:25 -0500, amdx wrote:

[...]

So how well did it work?

I watched the video, That could have been the idea behind the
ultrasound applied to a cutting tool. I seem to have a memory about
cutting extremely hard materials also.
Others seem to have shown some ignorance on the subject, but that's ok,
it is only because they are ignorant on the subject. So they poke fun.:-)
Mikek

---

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

Sorry, I made example #1 of products and the applicable test stations,
but
deviously evaded entanglement in their subsequent mass production.
-jsw

Using a higgs field generator prevents any entanglement in mass
production.

Best Regards
Tom.

But what do you do with the extra Bolsons?

We use them to make Primordial Soup.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 14:08:18 -0700, "Howard Beal"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

Sorry, I made example #1 of products and the applicable test stations,
but
deviously evaded entanglement in their subsequent mass production.
-jsw

Using a higgs field generator prevents any entanglement in mass
production.

Best Regards
Tom.

But what do you do with the extra Bolsons?

We use them to make Primordial Soup.

Best Regards
Tom.

Kin I have some? Kin I kin I??!!!

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

A steady stream of Bozons cycled through the job of Production
misManager. The nameplate by the door was a chalkboard.

The interview test was to have them pick up a screwdriver. Grabbing
the blade end qualified them for management.

The next test was with a hot soldering iron. The ones that picked it
up my the element were qualified for upper management.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 11:57:26 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

[...]

I got the thing set up and running and it did pretty much what the
video shows. Someone else took over to test it in production and I
haven't asked how it worked in practice.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 10:34:05 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

A steady stream of Bozons cycled through the job of Production
misManager. The nameplate by the door was a chalkboard.

The interview test was to have them pick up a screwdriver. Grabbing
the blade end qualified them for management.

The next test was with a hot soldering iron. The ones that picked it
up my the element were qualified for upper management.

You have -videos- of this, I hope? vbg

--
It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are
not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment.
-- Freeman Dyson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

A steady stream of Bozons cycled through the job of Production
misManager. The nameplate by the door was a chalkboard.

The interview test was to have them pick up a screwdriver.
Grabbing
the blade end qualified them for management.

The next test was with a hot soldering iron. The ones that
picked it
up my the element were qualified for upper management.

You have -videos- of this, I hope? vbg

I incident I wish was recorded was my boss showing me a sensitive and
expensive microwave Active Mixer he wanted in the circuit. He was
holding it between thumb and forefinger when he pointed with it to the
schematic on the large CAD CRT, which had built up quite a charge on
its front surface.

ZAP!--OH ****!

I was concerned that the engineers would pick up the hot end of an
iron left out of its holder. Upper management wouldn't recognize it as
a tool.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

A steady stream of Bozons cycled through the job of Production
misManager. The nameplate by the door was a chalkboard.

The interview test was to have them pick up a screwdriver. Grabbing
the blade end qualified them for management.

The next test was with a hot soldering iron. The ones that picked it
up my the element were qualified for upper management.

You have -videos- of this, I hope? vbg

--
It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are
not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment.
-- Freeman Dyson

If so - send it upstairs for a training video!

Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

A steady stream of Bozons cycled through the job of Production
misManager. The nameplate by the door was a chalkboard.

The interview test was to have them pick up a screwdriver. Grabbing
the blade end qualified them for management.

The next test was with a hot soldering iron. The ones that picked it
up my the element were qualified for upper management.

You have -videos- of this, I hope? vbg

I wish! It would go viral in a hurry.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

A steady stream of Bozons cycled through the job of Production
misManager. The nameplate by the door was a chalkboard.

The interview test was to have them pick up a screwdriver.
Grabbing
the blade end qualified them for management.

The next test was with a hot soldering iron. The ones that
picked it
up my the element were qualified for upper management.

You have -videos- of this, I hope? vbg

I incident I wish was recorded was my boss showing me a sensitive and
expensive microwave Active Mixer he wanted in the circuit. He was
holding it between thumb and forefinger when he pointed with it to the
schematic on the large CAD CRT, which had built up quite a charge on
its front surface.

ZAP!--OH ****!

Har! Did he kill it?

I was concerned that the engineers would pick up the hot end of an
iron left out of its holder. Upper management wouldn't recognize it as
a tool.

snort

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.* The only man who is a good American is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" on Thu, 12 Jun 2014 22:32:46
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

[...]

"Doesn't take me long to inspect an iron."

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I incident I wish was recorded was my boss showing me a sensitive
and
expensive microwave Active Mixer he wanted in the circuit. He was
holding it between thumb and forefinger when he pointed with it to
the
schematic on the large CAD CRT, which had built up quite a charge on
its front surface.

ZAP!--OH ****!

Har! Did he kill it?

We had to assume so, since to test it we would have had to solder it
on the board along with all the other expensive parts, and didn't have
the hot air rework station to properly remove them. The board was a
special low-loss material for 1GHz controlled-impedance circuits,
with unknown desoldering properties, similar to the material used in
oscilloscope inputs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I incident I wish was recorded was my boss showing me a sensitive
and
expensive microwave Active Mixer he wanted in the circuit. He was
holding it between thumb and forefinger when he pointed with it to
the
schematic on the large CAD CRT, which had built up quite a charge on
its front surface.

ZAP!--OH ****!

Har! Did he kill it?

We had to assume so, since to test it we would have had to solder it
on the board along with all the other expensive parts, and didn't have
the hot air rework station to properly remove them. The board was a
special low-loss material for 1GHz controlled-impedance circuits,
with unknown desoldering properties, similar to the material used in
oscilloscope inputs.

Major Oops! I'm thinking "He's lucky he was a manager."

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.* The only man who is a good American is
the man who is an American and nothing else.* We are a
nation, not a hodge-podge of foreign nationalities.* We
are a people, and not a polyglot boarding house.
--Theodore Roosevelt

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 07:29:14 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

ZAP!--OH ****!

Har! Did he kill it?

We had to assume so, ...

Major Oops! I'm thinking "He's lucky he was a manager."

[That place] was truly a country club, which is great unless you're a
caddy.

For another reason not to use the part, see 2.1 Latent Failures:
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/ssya010a/ssya010a.pdf

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 12:40:30 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 07:29:14 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

ZAP!--OH ****!

Har! Did he kill it?

We had to assume so, ...

Major Oops! I'm thinking "He's lucky he was a manager."

[That place] was truly a country club, which is great unless you're a
caddy.

For another reason not to use the part, see 2.1 Latent Failures:
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/ssya010a/ssya010a.pdf

-jsw

Hey thanks! Fascinating document!

Gunner

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-06-13, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 10:34:05 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

[ ... ]

The next test was with a hot soldering iron. The ones that picked it
up my the element were qualified for upper management.

You have -videos- of this, I hope? vbg

I don't know about employment tests, but I remember one ad in
one of the industrial electronics magazines (back in the late 1960s or
early 1970s) for a company who wanted to take over your electronics
assembly work. They did not get one of the girls off the line. They
either went out and got the boss's secretary or some other particularly
attractive lady -- or hired a model.

She put on the lab coat, sat at the bench, and picked up the
soldering iron to pose for the photo. It was one of those Ungar ones
with a ceramic heating element past the cork insulated grip on the
Bakelite handle. She was holding it *by* the ceramic eating element.

Based on her expression in the photo, it was not plugged in. :-)
(And, based on the color of the heating element, it had *never* been
plugged in.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

cutting tool name Cydrome Leader Metalworking 8 November 1st 13 01:47 AM
Cutting a metal duc t-- what tool to use? Colbyt Home Repair 16 November 15th 10 02:47 PM
Cutting tool - endmill? R D S UK diy 8 October 17th 07 01:45 PM
HM Cutting tool ? Bruce L. Bergman Metalworking 9 November 15th 05 05:44 AM
This new cutting tool allsaw 150, anyone used it yet? Jay UK diy 1 January 12th 04 06:40 PM