Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Adding vibration to lathe cutting tool to aid cutting

"amdx" wrote in message
Years ago I worked a ultrasound equipment manufacturer, one client
wanted a lathe tool holder modified with our ultrasonic transducer
vibrate the tool 40,000 to 600,000 times a second. The amount of
tool movement is small (micrometers) and adjustable. The job was
never completed.

Is this something that is in production?

Do you see how it would help in cutting.

Mikek

You could experiment by boring out steel water pipe with a 1/2"
diameter by 8" long boring bar. You won't need the transducer.
-jsw