Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can a slipping belt be fixed?

Hi

Got a SB9" with flat belt drive.
The belt tends to slip when I use low speed so the belt drives itself of
the spindle pulley.
How do I prevent the belt from slipping?
The pulleys have been cleaned with degreasing fluid.
Hav tried to look at the line-up of the pulleys and they seems to be
perfectly in line.

--
Uffe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Uffe Bærentsen" wrote in message
k...
Hi

Got a SB9" with flat belt drive.
The belt tends to slip when I use low speed so the belt drives itself of
the spindle pulley.
How do I prevent the belt from slipping?
The pulleys have been cleaned with degreasing fluid.
Hav tried to look at the line-up of the pulleys and they seems to be
perfectly in line.

--
Uffe

I replaced the leather with a clipped synthetic on my Logan . Better , but
I was still stalling the spindle on heavy cuts w/carbide , which tears a
chunk out of the cutter . Tightened the belt until I pulled the clips out
.... So I replaced it with a poly-v serp belt intended for automotive use .
These can apparently be cut/skived/glued back together , though I pulled my
spindle to install . I've since stalled the motor when cranked down really
tight just to see .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Den 16-04-2014 14:52, Terry Coombs skrev:

[...]

From your writing it looks like I have to measure the length of the
serpentine belt I need.
Pulling the spindle of the SB9" ain't that bad ;-)

--
Uffe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Uffe_Berentsen writes:

Got a SB9" with flat belt drive.
The belt tends to slip when I use low speed so the belt drives itself of
the spindle pulley.
How do I prevent the belt from slipping?
The pulleys have been cleaned with degreasing fluid.

Is there a reason why you can't try aerosol "belt dressing"? It makes
the flatbelt surface non-slippery, even tacky. I have three
flatbelts (motor-jackshaft, jackshaft-power hammer,
jackshaft-bandsaw). The first is spring-tensioned and seems not to
need help. The other two slip off if they don't get an occasional
spritz of stickum.

(Some old-hand sawmill operators here used to use molasses on heavy
flatbelts.)

Have tried to look at the line-up of the pulleys and they seems to be
perfectly in line.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Den 16-04-2014 21:23, Mike Spencer skrev:
Uffe_Berentsen writes:

Got a SB9" with flat belt drive.
The belt tends to slip when I use low speed so the belt drives itself of
the spindle pulley.
How do I prevent the belt from slipping?
The pulleys have been cleaned with degreasing fluid.

Is there a reason why you can't try aerosol "belt dressing"? It makes
the flatbelt surface non-slippery, even tacky.

Where I've seen belt dressing used is in vehicles and on single v-belts.
The results has been of very varying caracter.
Given that the belts were a different type maybe I should give it at try.

(Some old-hand sawmill operators here used to use molasses on heavy
flatbelts.)

There is no way that I'll pour molasses on the SB9" here ;-)

--
Uffe

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Uffe Bærentsen wrote:

Hi

Got a SB9" with flat belt drive.
The belt tends to slip when I use low speed so the belt drives itself of
the spindle pulley.
How do I prevent the belt from slipping?
The pulleys have been cleaned with degreasing fluid.
Hav tried to look at the line-up of the pulleys and they seems to be
perfectly in line.

The pulleys have to be aligned, but ALSO, the shafts have to
be parallel. On some machines, the shaft that drives the pulley
can be tilted slightly with the bolts that mount it. If you
get that right, the belt will walk up to the crown on the pulley
and then stay there. If you totally stall the spindle, then the
belt might walk off, but not when both shafts are turning.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Uffe Bærentsen" wrote in message
k...
Hi
Got a SB9" with flat belt drive.
The belt tends to slip when I use low speed so the belt drives
itself of the spindle pulley.
How do I prevent the belt from slipping?
The pulleys have been cleaned with degreasing fluid.
Hav tried to look at the line-up of the pulleys and they seems to be
perfectly in line.
Uffe

http://www.leatherdrivebelts.com/3.html

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Den 17-04-2014 00:07, Jon Elson skrev:
Uffe Bærentsen wrote:

Hi

Got a SB9" with flat belt drive.
The belt tends to slip when I use low speed so the belt drives itself of
the spindle pulley.
How do I prevent the belt from slipping?
The pulleys have been cleaned with degreasing fluid.
Hav tried to look at the line-up of the pulleys and they seems to be
perfectly in line.

The pulleys have to be aligned, but ALSO, the shafts have to
be parallel. On some machines, the shaft that drives the pulley
can be tilted slightly with the bolts that mount it. If you
get that right, the belt will walk up to the crown on the pulley
and then stay there. If you totally stall the spindle, then the
belt might walk off, but not when both shafts are turning.

It looks like the shafts are perfectly parallel.

--
Uffe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 16 Apr 2014 16:23:33 -0300, Mike Spencer
wrote:

Uffe_Berentsen writes:

Got a SB9" with flat belt drive.
The belt tends to slip when I use low speed so the belt drives itself of
the spindle pulley.
How do I prevent the belt from slipping?
The pulleys have been cleaned with degreasing fluid.

Is there a reason why you can't try aerosol "belt dressing"? It makes
the flatbelt surface non-slippery, even tacky. I have three
flatbelts (motor-jackshaft, jackshaft-power hammer,
jackshaft-bandsaw). The first is spring-tensioned and seems not to
need help. The other two slip off if they don't get an occasional
spritz of stickum.

(Some old-hand sawmill operators here used to use molasses on heavy
flatbelts.)

Have tried to look at the line-up of the pulleys and they seems to be
perfectly in line.

We always used buckwheat honey on the farm- - -