Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can a slipping belt be fixed?

On 16 Apr 2014 16:23:33 -0300, Mike Spencer
wrote:

Uffe_Berentsen writes:

Got a SB9" with flat belt drive.
The belt tends to slip when I use low speed so the belt drives itself of
the spindle pulley.
How do I prevent the belt from slipping?
The pulleys have been cleaned with degreasing fluid.

Is there a reason why you can't try aerosol "belt dressing"? It makes
the flatbelt surface non-slippery, even tacky. I have three
flatbelts (motor-jackshaft, jackshaft-power hammer,
jackshaft-bandsaw). The first is spring-tensioned and seems not to
need help. The other two slip off if they don't get an occasional
spritz of stickum.

(Some old-hand sawmill operators here used to use molasses on heavy
flatbelts.)

Have tried to look at the line-up of the pulleys and they seems to be
perfectly in line.

We always used buckwheat honey on the farm- - -