Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Uffe Bærentsen[_2_] Uffe Bærentsen[_2_] is offline

Default Can a slipping belt be fixed?

Den 16-04-2014 21:23, Mike Spencer skrev:
Uffe_Berentsen writes:

Got a SB9" with flat belt drive.
The belt tends to slip when I use low speed so the belt drives itself of
the spindle pulley.
How do I prevent the belt from slipping?
The pulleys have been cleaned with degreasing fluid.

Is there a reason why you can't try aerosol "belt dressing"? It makes
the flatbelt surface non-slippery, even tacky.

Where I've seen belt dressing used is in vehicles and on single v-belts.
The results has been of very varying caracter.
Given that the belts were a different type maybe I should give it at try.

(Some old-hand sawmill operators here used to use molasses on heavy
flatbelts.)

There is no way that I'll pour molasses on the SB9" here ;-)

--
Uffe