Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Uffe Bærentsen[_2_] Uffe Bærentsen[_2_] is offline

Default Can a slipping belt be fixed?

Den 16-04-2014 14:52, Terry Coombs skrev:

"Uffe Bærentsen" wrote in message
k...
Hi

Got a SB9" with flat belt drive.
The belt tends to slip when I use low speed so the belt drives itself of
the spindle pulley.
How do I prevent the belt from slipping?
The pulleys have been cleaned with degreasing fluid.
Hav tried to look at the line-up of the pulleys and they seems to be
perfectly in line.

--
Uffe

I replaced the leather with a clipped synthetic on my Logan . Better , but
I was still stalling the spindle on heavy cuts w/carbide , which tears a
chunk out of the cutter . Tightened the belt until I pulled the clips out
... So I replaced it with a poly-v serp belt intended for automotive use .
These can apparently be cut/skived/glued back together , though I pulled my
spindle to install . I've since stalled the motor when cranked down really
tight just to see .

From your writing it looks like I have to measure the length of the
serpentine belt I need.
Pulling the spindle of the SB9" ain't that bad ;-)

--
Uffe