Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Better-quality rattle-can nozzle?

I do a fair bit of painting of small bits with rattle-can paint. You
can get some pretty good paint in cans if you look around.

My problem is that they all have different nozzles and patterns, plus
I only use a bit of a can at a time, so they get clogged/lost...

Is there a gizmo made that is like a grip-trigger arrangement with a
good EASILY CLEANABLE nozzle that you can plug onto a rattle-can?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

thunk fired this volley in
:

My problem is that they all have different nozzles and patterns, plus
I only use a bit of a can at a time, so they get clogged/lost...

Did you ever hear of _cleaning_ the nozzle on a rattle can before putting
it away?

Lots of us use small portions of spray cans, and then again, until
they're empty. A little diligence and a cup of solvent will solve your
clogging problems.

Hell, just turning the can upside-down and shooting just gas (followed by
a quick wipe with a cloth) will help more than what it seems you're
doing. (PS... doesn't work with "all-way" cans.)

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"thunk" wrote in message
I do a fair bit of painting of small bits with rattle-can paint. You
can get some pretty good paint in cans if you look around.

My problem is that they all have different nozzles and patterns,
plus
I only use a bit of a can at a time, so they get clogged/lost...

Is there a gizmo made that is like a grip-trigger arrangement with a
good EASILY CLEANABLE nozzle that you can plug onto a rattle-can?

There are several solvents in spray cans, like carb and brake cleaner.
Move the nozzle to one that has a similar type (odor) of solvent and
flush it out. For lacquer-based paints you can soak the nozzle in
lacquer thinner or nail polish remover and then flush with cleaner.

I haven't had a problem with them as long as I turn the can over
afterwards and spray until the paint color nearly disappears.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"thunk" wrote in message ...

Is there a gizmo made that is like a grip-trigger arrangement with a
good EASILY CLEANABLE nozzle that you can plug onto a rattle-can?

I'll second (or third) the turn-the-can-upside-down trick.

While this works with all the various kinds of rattle cans that I buy in my
local hardware store, recently I've been shooting small woodwork pieces now
and then with satin and semi-gloss MinWax polyurethane. I've had the cans
for months and they're still spraying just fine. After I do the shoot, I
just turn the can upside down and spray for five seconds or so until it
looks like it's shooting just gas. Then I wipe the nozzle off with my
fingertip and put the can away until next time. Never a problem.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 08:26:24 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"thunk" wrote in message
.. .
I do a fair bit of painting of small bits with rattle-can paint. You
can get some pretty good paint in cans if you look around.

My problem is that they all have different nozzles and patterns,
plus
I only use a bit of a can at a time, so they get clogged/lost...

Is there a gizmo made that is like a grip-trigger arrangement with a
good EASILY CLEANABLE nozzle that you can plug onto a rattle-can?

Remember to take the nozzle off the can and dip it in solvent RIGHT
after you're done spraying, thunk.

As to triggers, they're available, but I've never seen one with a
built-in nozzle.

There are several solvents in spray cans, like carb and brake cleaner.
Move the nozzle to one that has a similar type (odor) of solvent and
flush it out. For lacquer-based paints you can soak the nozzle in
lacquer thinner or nail polish remover and then flush with cleaner.

I tend to use lacquer thinner for most things of this sort.

I haven't had a problem with them as long as I turn the can over
afterwards and spray until the paint color nearly disappears.

Ditto.

I think easiest of all for thunk would be to simply purchase beaucoup
nozzles. They're cheap on eBay. I got 30 for $5 or so a few years
ago. I lose a lot of nozzles in the truck. OK, $6.94 delivered now.
http://tinyurl.com/lnlyfwb Cheaper than a couple cans of paint.

--
I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people
who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 08:59:56 -0700, "tdacon"
wrote:

"thunk" wrote in message ...

Is there a gizmo made that is like a grip-trigger arrangement with a
good EASILY CLEANABLE nozzle that you can plug onto a rattle-can?

I'll second (or third) the turn-the-can-upside-down trick.

While this works with all the various kinds of rattle cans that I buy in my
local hardware store, recently I've been shooting small woodwork pieces now
and then with satin and semi-gloss MinWax polyurethane. I've had the cans
for months and they're still spraying just fine. After I do the shoot, I
just turn the can upside down and spray for five seconds or so until it
looks like it's shooting just gas. Then I wipe the nozzle off with my
fingertip and put the can away until next time. Never a problem.

I bought some clear Rustoleum in a can that was supposed to spray in
*any* position including upside down. It did that for a while but then
it took to spraying *only* in the upside down position, nozzle
cleaning notwithstanding.

That is when I bought the trigger gizmo. It still works fine. The
trigger, BTW, only attaches to the can and allows to operate the
nozzle without any contortions. It does not have a nozzle by itself.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 18:04:42 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

A smart rap on a table with the bottom of the can down will usually solve
a stuck clunk.

Thanks. Who would have thunk?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 08:26:24 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"thunk" wrote in message
.. .
I do a fair bit of painting of small bits with rattle-can paint. You
can get some pretty good paint in cans if you look around.

My problem is that they all have different nozzles and patterns,
plus
I only use a bit of a can at a time, so they get clogged/lost...

Is there a gizmo made that is like a grip-trigger arrangement with a
good EASILY CLEANABLE nozzle that you can plug onto a rattle-can?

There are several solvents in spray cans, like carb and brake cleaner.
Move the nozzle to one that has a similar type (odor) of solvent and
flush it out. For lacquer-based paints you can soak the nozzle in
lacquer thinner or nail polish remover and then flush with cleaner.

I haven't had a problem with them as long as I turn the can over
afterwards and spray until the paint color nearly disappears.
jsw

I toss nozzles into a jar of brake fluid and every so often blow them
clean so I always have spares available.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...4779-4421.aspx

Push the button on one of those.... WHOA MOMMA!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Problem solved. Now, where to get replacement straws for WD-40 cans?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, April 14, 2014 6:30:33 AM UTC-4, robobass wrote:
Problem solved. Now, where to get replacement straws for WD-40 cans?

Take a look at this: http://spraysnake.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 03:30:33 -0700 (PDT), robobass
wrote:

Problem solved. Now, where to get replacement straws for WD-40 cans?

EBAY! 20 for $3.99 + $0.49 s/h.
http://tinyurl.com/kal5v23

--
No greater wrong can ever be done than to put a good man at the mercy
of a bad, while telling him not to defend himself or his fellows;

Rattle Can ARRRRGGGGHHHHH. J. Clarke[_2_] Woodworking 19 July 15th 11 04:35 AM
O/T: Shake, Rattle and Roll Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 21 March 20th 10 06:33 PM
QUESTION: JBL Speaker Rattle EADGBE Electronics Repair 47 January 25th 08 10:23 PM
BABY RATTLE J T Woodworking 0 November 12th 07 10:49 AM
Worcester Bosch 24 CDI rattle and hum Sean UK diy 3 October 3rd 05 11:17 AM