DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Better-quality rattle-can nozzle? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/369234-better-quality-rattle-can-nozzle.html)

thunk March 28th 14 11:32 AM

Better-quality rattle-can nozzle?

I do a fair bit of painting of small bits with rattle-can paint. You
can get some pretty good paint in cans if you look around.

My problem is that they all have different nozzles and patterns, plus
I only use a bit of a can at a time, so they get clogged/lost...

Is there a gizmo made that is like a grip-trigger arrangement with a
good EASILY CLEANABLE nozzle that you can plug onto a rattle-can?

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] March 28th 14 11:35 AM

Better-quality rattle-can nozzle?

thunk fired this volley in
:

My problem is that they all have different nozzles and patterns, plus
I only use a bit of a can at a time, so they get clogged/lost...

Did you ever hear of _cleaning_ the nozzle on a rattle can before putting
it away?

Lots of us use small portions of spray cans, and then again, until
they're empty. A little diligence and a cup of solvent will solve your
clogging problems.

Hell, just turning the can upside-down and shooting just gas (followed by
a quick wipe with a cloth) will help more than what it seems you're
doing. (PS... doesn't work with "all-way" cans.)

LLoyd

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 28th 14 12:26 PM

"thunk" wrote in message
I do a fair bit of painting of small bits with rattle-can paint. You
can get some pretty good paint in cans if you look around.

My problem is that they all have different nozzles and patterns,
plus
I only use a bit of a can at a time, so they get clogged/lost...

Is there a gizmo made that is like a grip-trigger arrangement with a
good EASILY CLEANABLE nozzle that you can plug onto a rattle-can?

There are several solvents in spray cans, like carb and brake cleaner.
Move the nozzle to one that has a similar type (odor) of solvent and
flush it out. For lacquer-based paints you can soak the nozzle in
lacquer thinner or nail polish remover and then flush with cleaner.

I haven't had a problem with them as long as I turn the can over
afterwards and spray until the paint color nearly disappears.
jsw

tdacon March 28th 14 03:59 PM

"thunk" wrote in message ...

Is there a gizmo made that is like a grip-trigger arrangement with a
good EASILY CLEANABLE nozzle that you can plug onto a rattle-can?

I'll second (or third) the turn-the-can-upside-down trick.

While this works with all the various kinds of rattle cans that I buy in my
local hardware store, recently I've been shooting small woodwork pieces now
and then with satin and semi-gloss MinWax polyurethane. I've had the cans
for months and they're still spraying just fine. After I do the shoot, I
just turn the can upside down and spray for five seconds or so until it
looks like it's shooting just gas. Then I wipe the nozzle off with my
fingertip and put the can away until next time. Never a problem.

Tom

Larry Jaques[_4_] March 28th 14 08:15 PM

Better-quality rattle-can nozzle?

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 08:26:24 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"thunk" wrote in message
.. .
I do a fair bit of painting of small bits with rattle-can paint. You
can get some pretty good paint in cans if you look around.

My problem is that they all have different nozzles and patterns,
plus
I only use a bit of a can at a time, so they get clogged/lost...

Is there a gizmo made that is like a grip-trigger arrangement with a
good EASILY CLEANABLE nozzle that you can plug onto a rattle-can?

Remember to take the nozzle off the can and dip it in solvent RIGHT
after you're done spraying, thunk.

As to triggers, they're available, but I've never seen one with a
built-in nozzle.

There are several solvents in spray cans, like carb and brake cleaner.
Move the nozzle to one that has a similar type (odor) of solvent and
flush it out. For lacquer-based paints you can soak the nozzle in
lacquer thinner or nail polish remover and then flush with cleaner.

I tend to use lacquer thinner for most things of this sort.

I haven't had a problem with them as long as I turn the can over
afterwards and spray until the paint color nearly disappears.

Ditto.

I think easiest of all for thunk would be to simply purchase beaucoup
nozzles. They're cheap on eBay. I got 30 for $5 or so a few years
ago. I lose a lot of nozzles in the truck. OK, $6.94 delivered now.
http://tinyurl.com/lnlyfwb Cheaper than a couple cans of paint.

--
I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people
who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.

[email protected] March 28th 14 10:59 PM

Better-quality rattle-can nozzle?

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 08:59:56 -0700, "tdacon"
wrote:

"thunk" wrote in message ...

Is there a gizmo made that is like a grip-trigger arrangement with a
good EASILY CLEANABLE nozzle that you can plug onto a rattle-can?

I'll second (or third) the turn-the-can-upside-down trick.

While this works with all the various kinds of rattle cans that I buy in my
local hardware store, recently I've been shooting small woodwork pieces now
and then with satin and semi-gloss MinWax polyurethane. I've had the cans
for months and they're still spraying just fine. After I do the shoot, I
just turn the can upside down and spray for five seconds or so until it
looks like it's shooting just gas. Then I wipe the nozzle off with my
fingertip and put the can away until next time. Never a problem.

I bought some clear Rustoleum in a can that was supposed to spray in
*any* position including upside down. It did that for a while but then
it took to spraying *only* in the upside down position, nozzle
cleaning notwithstanding.

That is when I bought the trigger gizmo. It still works fine. The
trigger, BTW, only attaches to the can and allows to operate the
nozzle without any contortions. It does not have a nozzle by itself.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] March 28th 14 11:04 PM

Better-quality rattle-can nozzle?

fired this volley in
:

I bought some clear Rustoleum in a can that was supposed to spray in
*any* position including upside down.

The every-way Rustoleum cans have a silicone dip tube and a "clunk", just
like in an aerobatic aircraft tank... so the clunk (and the end of the
tube) is always at the bottom of the tank. Sometimes they get stuck
between the connector pipe at the top of the can, and the can wall.

A smart rap on a table with the bottom of the can down will usually solve
a stuck clunk.

Lloyd

[email protected] March 29th 14 11:12 PM

Better-quality rattle-can nozzle?

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 18:04:42 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

A smart rap on a table with the bottom of the can down will usually solve
a stuck clunk.

Thanks. Who would have thunk?

[email protected] March 31st 14 06:00 AM

Better-quality rattle-can nozzle?

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 08:26:24 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"thunk" wrote in message
.. .
I do a fair bit of painting of small bits with rattle-can paint. You
can get some pretty good paint in cans if you look around.

My problem is that they all have different nozzles and patterns,
plus
I only use a bit of a can at a time, so they get clogged/lost...

Is there a gizmo made that is like a grip-trigger arrangement with a
good EASILY CLEANABLE nozzle that you can plug onto a rattle-can?

There are several solvents in spray cans, like carb and brake cleaner.
Move the nozzle to one that has a similar type (odor) of solvent and
flush it out. For lacquer-based paints you can soak the nozzle in
lacquer thinner or nail polish remover and then flush with cleaner.

I haven't had a problem with them as long as I turn the can over
afterwards and spray until the paint color nearly disappears.
jsw

I toss nozzles into a jar of brake fluid and every so often blow them
clean so I always have spares available.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

clark April 9th 14 04:47 AM

Better-quality rattle-can nozzle?

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...4779-4421.aspx

Push the button on one of those.... WHOA MOMMA!

Tom Gardner[_6_] April 10th 14 04:01 AM

On 3/29/2014 7:12 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 18:04:42 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

A smart rap on a table with the bottom of the can down will usually solve
a stuck clunk.

Thanks. Who would have thunk?

That usually works on people too!

robobass April 14th 14 11:30 AM

Better-quality rattle-can nozzle?

Problem solved. Now, where to get replacement straws for WD-40 cans?

RangersSuck April 14th 14 04:28 PM

Take a look at this: http://spraysnake.com/

Larry Jaques[_4_] April 15th 14 04:33 AM

Better-quality rattle-can nozzle?

On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 03:30:33 -0700 (PDT), robobass
wrote:

Problem solved. Now, where to get replacement straws for WD-40 cans?

EBAY! 20 for $3.99 + $0.49 s/h.
http://tinyurl.com/kal5v23

--
No greater wrong can ever be done than to put a good man at the mercy
of a bad, while telling him not to defend himself or his fellows;