Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Just bought an old South Bend...Mod????????

Hi all,

I recently wanted to learn metal lathe turning, bought an old South
Bend as a starter lathe and have started the clean-up-replace broken parts
phase of the project. The Serial number is 74041. I have been told it is
approx. 1937 vintage but I don't have a clue. There is no back gear(s) if
there ever were any on this model but the brackets or mount is there for
them
I am taking all the parts off that are reasonably easy to remove but
have run into a problem with the cross slide. I have it stripped down and
wobbly on it's mount but there is an internal nut or something that won't
permit the casting to slide off the dovetail. What am I doing wrong? Does
anyone know if this is a model A,B, or C? there are no letters in the
serial number and nothing on the brass plate on the end of the machine.
Also, as this is probably an older machine....how much interchangability
of parts from different models is there with South Bend, and what is the
used parts situation with a machine this old?
Any advice or knowledge is welcome. I'm sure I'll be back here again.
Sid Gammon

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...od-594095-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sid Gammon wrote:
[...]

www.hobby-machinist.com is a bbs forum , they have a section devoted just
to SB lathes . Join the forum and check it out . Very friendly folks ...
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-03-06, Sid Gammon wrote:
Hi all,

I recently wanted to learn metal lathe turning, bought an old South
Bend as a starter lathe and have started the clean-up-replace broken parts
phase of the project. The Serial number is 74041. I have been told it is
approx. 1937 vintage but I don't have a clue. There is no back gear(s) if
there ever were any on this model but the brackets or mount is there for
them

The following paragraph is just in case you are mis-interpreting
what back gears are and where they mount.

I would think that almost anything of the period would have back
gears. Are you thinking of the gears which go on the end of the
headstock opposite the chuck? Those are part of the threading gear
train. The back gears are inside the headstock (often behind the
spindle -- thus the name, sometimes below the spindle). The spindle
typically has two main parts. The actual spindle itself, with a large
gear towards the chuck end of the spindle, and the pulley, with a
smaller gear at the other end. The pulley is mounted around the
spindle, and is normally locked to the spindle by a captive locking pin
which slides in or out. When the pin is in the "out" position, the
pulley can turn freely around the spindle.

Now -- the actual back gears are two gears rigidly mounted onto
a common shaft -- a bigger one away from the chuck end, and a smaller
one towards it. There is a lever which moves the shaft on which this
turns towards or away from the spindle. With the locking pin out, and
the back gear moved towards the spindle, so the gears at both ends
engage, the pulley turns the back gear, which then turns the spindle, at
a much slower speed, and with a lot more torque -- useful in some
machining operations, including threading.

Then -- the gears on the end of the headstock away from the
chuck end first pick off the spindle rotation, and carry it though a
lever with three gears on it. In the center position, the gears don't
couple to the spindle. In one of the other positions, the spindle and
the output gear rotate the same direction, and in the remaining one,
they rotate in opposite directions. This is so you can cut normal
right-handed threads or left-handed threads at need -- as well as feed
the carriage in either direction for normal cutting. This is called the
"reverse tumbler".

I am taking all the parts off that are reasonably easy to remove but
have run into a problem with the cross slide. I have it stripped down and
wobbly on it's mount but there is an internal nut or something that won't
permit the casting to slide off the dovetail. What am I doing wrong? Does
anyone know if this is a model A,B, or C? there are no letters in the
serial number and nothing on the brass plate on the end of the machine.

One of those letters -- I forget which direction the order goes
-- means that the gearing from the reverse tumbler to the leadscrew
(which runs along the near edge of the bed just under the bed) goes only
through gears built up on the "banjo" which has two or three arms for
mounting gears in various orders to get any threading gearing you need,
but you have to re-build this to change the speeds -- a pain and messy,
so people with this often don't bother setting up the proper gearing
unless they have to cut a thread. The apron of the carriage has only
half-nuts -- which either couple the carriage to the leadscrew, drawing
it along at the right speed to cut a thread, or totally free the two.

The second and third of these letters add:

1) A quick-change gearbox below and in front of the headstock
so you can select most threading gears from a couple of levers.

2) Gearing in the apron of the carriage which can pick off
rotation. This usually requires a groove milled down the
length of the leadscrew to turn the gearing inside the apron,
and a couple of levers or knobs to couple the gearing to either
the hand crank which moves the carriage (it moves a lot slower
than when using the half-nuts, so you get a finer finish) or to
couple it to the cross-feed crank on the carriage for power feed
while facing.

Also, as this is probably an older machine....how much interchangability
of parts from different models is there with South Bend, and what is the
used parts situation with a machine this old?

Any idea how large a machine this is? Take a ruler and hold it
to the end of the spindle, and swing the end of it so it just clears the
bed ways. Now take a reading from the end to the center of the spindle,
and then double this (to get the maximum diameter workpiece.) Common
values include 6", 9", 10" 12" and much larger ones.

If your machine is missing the gears from the left-hand end of
the headstock, it is probably a change gear machine (I guess that would
be "Type 'A'" unless I have the order backwards.) On the other two
machines, with the quick-change gearbox, there is normally no reason to
remove the gears, so you would have a complete set there. But look at
the apron of the carriage (the part which hangs down in front of it) to
see what controls you have. A minimum is a hand wheel which will crank
the carriage along the ways, and a lever which opens and closes the
half-nuts. If there are other levers or knobs, they would be for the
power longitudinal feed and cross-feed, and would make it the fancier
machine -- and it *should* have a quick-change gearbox as well. But
you will still need to find the proper gears for the left-hand end of
the headstock to get the power from the spindle down to the quick-change
gearbox and leadscrew.

Any advice or knowledge is welcome. I'm sure I'll be back here again.
Sid Gammon

Bear in mind that I don't *have* a South Bend, (which is why I
am not certain whether the 'A' is the most complex or least complex
version), but most of what I have typed above is in common with most
lathes. Some simple lathes don't have gear threading capability at all.
Some have the change gears only (such as my first medium sized lathe, a
6" Atlas/Craftsman), and some have it all (such as my 12" Clausing).

If you don't have one yet, you should consider getting a copy of
the "How to Run a Lathe" book by South Bend. There used to be someone
around here who sold a reprint of the 1950 edition of that --which
should be close enough -- things don't change quickly in this field. :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Terry Coombs , Sid Gammon wrote:
snag_one wrote:

www.hobby-machinist.com is a bbs forum , they have a section devoted

just
to SB lathes . Join the forum and check it out . Very friendly folks ...
--
Snag

Terry,

I looked at the forum , Hobby Machinist, you recommended. It looks like
where I wanted to be until I started the registration process. There was
simply way too much personal information they wanted ie. Date of birth.
physical address, occupation, Etc., Etc. I do not throw that stuff out
into cyberspace to unknown entities. They are probably good folks and the
theme is what I want but I am not willing to share the required info. over
the internet. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. Sid
Gammon

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...od-594095-.htm
using PolytechForum's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to
rec.crafts.metalworking and other engineering groups

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Sid Gammon" wrote
in message
roups.com...
I looked at the forum , Hobby Machinist, you recommended. It looks
like
where I wanted to be until I started the registration process. There
was
simply way too much personal information they wanted ie. Date of
birth.
physical address, occupation, Etc., Etc. I do not throw that stuff
out
into cyberspace to unknown entities. They are probably good folks
and the
theme is what I want but I am not willing to share the required
info. over
the internet. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
Sid
Gammon

So far no site has objected to my name and address.

Richard M. Nixon
1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW,
Washington DC 20500
(202) 456-1111
DOB 1/1/1900
Occupation: The One!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

snag_one wrote:

www.hobby-machinist.com is a bbs forum , they have a section devoted

just
to SB lathes . Join the forum and check it out . Very friendly folks ...
--
Snag

Terry,

I looked at the forum , Hobby Machinist, you recommended. It looks like
where I wanted to be until I started the registration process. There was
simply way too much personal information they wanted ie. Date of birth.
physical address, occupation, Etc., Etc. I do not throw that stuff out
into cyberspace to unknown entities. They are probably good folks and the
theme is what I want but I am not willing to share the required info. over
the internet. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. Sid
Gammon

Funny, you know. People used to put all that information on their
business card and every meeting was preceded by an exchange of
business cards.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

snag_one wrote:

www.hobby-machinist.com is a bbs forum , they have a section devoted

just
to SB lathes . Join the forum and check it out . Very friendly folks ...
--
Snag

Terry,

I re-considered giving the info they wanted and eventually did so. I t
is probably nothing that a dedicated computer geek coulden't get off the
internet anyway. So.....thank you too much for introducing me to the site,
I think I have a new home. Sid Gammon

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...od-594095-.htm
using PolytechForum's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to
rec.crafts.metalworking and other engineering groups

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

snag_one wrote:

www.hobby-machinist.com is a bbs forum , they have a section devoted

just
to SB lathes . Join the forum and check it out . Very friendly folks ...
--
Snag

Terry,

I looked at the forum , Hobby Machinist, you recommended. It looks like
where I wanted to be until I started the registration process. There was
simply way too much personal information they wanted ie. Date of birth.
physical address, occupation, Etc., Etc. I do not throw that stuff out
into cyberspace to unknown entities. They are probably good folks and the
theme is what I want but I am not willing to share the required info. over
the internet. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. Sid
Gammon

What..you are somehow obligated to post accurate information????

I always use 1313 Mockingbird Lane as part of such registrations.

Fans of the Munsters will recall that addy....

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:18:03 AM UTC+2, Sid Gammon wrote:
[...]

Now you could get all in one from Hello World Magazine. The Hello World Magazine is a free online magazine which deals with fashion, beauty, homemade craft, recipe, entertainment, study, traveling and much more only for you. It would change your lifestyle. http://www.helloworldmagazine.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

I always use 1313 Mockingbird Lane as part of such registrations.

Fans of the Munsters will recall that addy....

And that you do have bolts in your neck. ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 03:49:47 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

I always use 1313 Mockingbird Lane as part of such registrations.

Fans of the Munsters will recall that addy....

And that you do have bolts in your neck. ;-)

I don't know about the bolts in the neck but he had staples in his
belly :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

I always use 1313 Mockingbird Lane as part of such registrations.

Fans of the Munsters will recall that addy....

And that you do have bolts in your neck. ;-)

I don't know about the bolts in the neck but he had staples in his
belly :-)

More scrap metal for his collection? ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

I always use 1313 Mockingbird Lane as part of such registrations.

Fans of the Munsters will recall that addy....

And that you do have bolts in your neck. ;-)

I don't know about the bolts in the neck but he had staples in his
belly :-)

More scrap metal for his collection? ;-)

Nope..no staples in the belly. Had an x-ray to check. Now they did
weave a nice bit of stainless steel wire through my sturnum after they
split my chest however.

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties
that he favored total civilian firearms confiscation.
Only the military and police should have weapons he averred and what did I think about that?

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

I always use 1313 Mockingbird Lane as part of such registrations.

Fans of the Munsters will recall that addy....

And that you do have bolts in your neck. ;-)

I don't know about the bolts in the neck but he had staples in his
belly :-)

More scrap metal for his collection? ;-)

Nope..no staples in the belly. Had an x-ray to check. Now they did
weave a nice bit of stainless steel wire through my sturnum after they
split my chest however.

You'll be fun in the long lines at the TSA checkins, I'll bet.

Those are where the minorities ('cuz it's politically correct to hire
them) run the Arab-looking folks through and onto the planes without
searches ('cuz it's not politically correct) while they paw at the
potential terrorists: little 6 year old girls and cavity search
grannies. God forbid a mother try to bring her breast milk onboard
without contaminating it!

As Wayne Newton would say: Bless their little hearts.

--
Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act,
the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

I always use 1313 Mockingbird Lane as part of such registrations.

Fans of the Munsters will recall that addy....

And that you do have bolts in your neck. ;-)

I don't know about the bolts in the neck but he had staples in his
belly :-)

More scrap metal for his collection? ;-)

Nope..no staples in the belly. Had an x-ray to check. Now they did
weave a nice bit of stainless steel wire through my sturnum after they
split my chest however.

You'll be fun in the long lines at the TSA checkins, I'll bet.

The airport metal detectors tend to ignore metal in bodies, in my
experience and the experience of others I have spoken to. Before 9/11
only Mexicana Airlines needed to use a wand to confirm it was a plate
in my pelvis, and not something else, that set off the metal
detectors. But in the last several years the metal in my pelvis, back,
and both arms never sets off the metal detectors. I have spoken with
people who have rods in their legs, stainless mesh in their abdomen,
and metals in other places who also never set off the metal detectors.
Eric

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Very interesting! Were any explanations given? I'm curious.

--
Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act,
the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything.
-- George Lois
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

I always use 1313 Mockingbird Lane as part of such registrations.

Fans of the Munsters will recall that addy....

And that you do have bolts in your neck. ;-)

I don't know about the bolts in the neck but he had staples in his
belly :-)

More scrap metal for his collection? ;-)

Nope..no staples in the belly. Had an x-ray to check. Now they did
weave a nice bit of stainless steel wire through my sternum after they
split my chest however.

You'll be fun in the long lines at the TSA checkins, I'll bet.

I have had heart surgery, and have the six stitches made of stainless
steel wire. I don't think that the walk-through detector picks such
things up, but the handheld did pick them up (I heard it beeping). The
TSA fellow asked me about it, and I said that he was probably picking
the SS stitches up. He was satisfied with that.

None of the walk-through detectors since have ever raised a beep ever
since. I would assume that they are set to ignore below some
reasonable amount of metal, to reduce false alarms to something
manageable.

Joe Gwinn

South Bend 10K No Name Metalworking 6 May 5th 09 10:02 PM
South Bend joebass Metalworking 2 April 13th 06 02:25 AM
Threading on a South Bend 9A Eide Metalworking 5 October 8th 05 01:44 PM
Chuck Key for South Bend 4 Jaw Jeff Metalworking 2 May 28th 05 03:37 PM
FS- South Bend 13" gary wilkin Metalworking 8 July 12th 03 03:32 AM