Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sid Gammon Sid Gammon is offline

Default Just bought an old South Bend...Mod????????

Hi all,

I recently wanted to learn metal lathe turning, bought an old South
Bend as a starter lathe and have started the clean-up-replace broken parts
phase of the project. The Serial number is 74041. I have been told it is
approx. 1937 vintage but I don't have a clue. There is no back gear(s) if
there ever were any on this model but the brackets or mount is there for
them
I am taking all the parts off that are reasonably easy to remove but
have run into a problem with the cross slide. I have it stripped down and
wobbly on it's mount but there is an internal nut or something that won't
permit the casting to slide off the dovetail. What am I doing wrong? Does
anyone know if this is a model A,B, or C? there are no letters in the
serial number and nothing on the brass plate on the end of the machine.
Also, as this is probably an older machine....how much interchangability
of parts from different models is there with South Bend, and what is the
used parts situation with a machine this old?
Any advice or knowledge is welcome. I'm sure I'll be back here again.
Sid Gammon

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...od-594095-.htm