Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Just bought an old South Bend...Mod????????

Sid Gammon wrote:
Hi all,

I recently wanted to learn metal lathe turning, bought an old South
Bend as a starter lathe and have started the clean-up-replace broken
parts phase of the project. The Serial number is 74041. I have been
told it is approx. 1937 vintage but I don't have a clue. There is no
back gear(s) if there ever were any on this model but the brackets or
mount is there for them
I am taking all the parts off that are reasonably easy to remove but
have run into a problem with the cross slide. I have it stripped down
and wobbly on it's mount but there is an internal nut or something
that won't permit the casting to slide off the dovetail. What am I
doing wrong? Does anyone know if this is a model A,B, or C? there are
no letters in the serial number and nothing on the brass plate on the
end of the machine. Also, as this is probably an older machine....how
much interchangability of parts from different models is there with
South Bend, and what is the used parts situation with a machine this
old? Any advice or knowledge is welcome. I'm sure I'll be back here
again. Sid Gammon

www.hobby-machinist.com is a bbs forum , they have a section devoted just
to SB lathes . Join the forum and check it out . Very friendly folks ...
--
Snag