gary wilkin

Default FS- South Bend 13"

--On Wednesday, July 09, 2003 11:44 AM -0700 Grant Erwin
wrote:

13" SB follower rests appear regularly on ebay. I don't want to
hear anyone from Pittsburgh whining about how hard it is to find
a lathe for a good long time after this! GO GET IT!! - GWE

Ya trying to tell me your'e interested in it Grant? ;-)

Seriously, I've been underwhelmed by responses to this fine old lathe. I
guess it's in the local want ads it goes.

GW

gary wilkin wrote:

Figured I'd post it here before I put it in the local paper.

13" S.B. with 6' bed, 40" between centers
very nice cond, most of the hand scraping still on ways
fully tooled except taper attachment and follow rest
6"3 jaw,8" 3 jaw, 4 jaw, face/drive plate
collet nose,spindle cap and drawbar and full set of 2A collets to 11/16"
new 1HP, 110V motor with all new drive belts
steady rest, micrometer carraige stop

I'm a little north of Pgh,Pa and thinking it's worth around $1500.

If interested, lets talk.

thanks,
GW

Charles A. Sherwood

Seriously, I've been underwhelmed by responses to this fine old lathe. I
guess it's in the local want ads it goes.

I looked at a 13 inch south bend. Its just too big for most home shops.
Even Dave ficken told me that 13 inch machines don't sell well
because the HSM guys can't fit em in their shops.

chuck

Ken Davey

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message
Seriously, I've been underwhelmed by responses to this fine old lathe. I
guess it's in the local want ads it goes.

I looked at a 13 inch south bend. Its just too big for most home shops.
Even Dave ficken told me that 13 inch machines don't sell well
because the HSM guys can't fit em in their shops.

chuck

Poor excuse for not jumping on a fine lathe!

Regards
Ken.

gradstdnt

Poor excuse indeed. I've managed to move a 13" Clausing
Colchester into my basement. This required disassembly
but it all went right through the front door. This is a
much heavier
machine than the SB 13". Moving my lathe into the
garage was not a big deal. It does require a bit
more space than a 10" machine but is also a much
more capable machine.

I've had friends ask me to assist them when looking
for a specific item. I would find them a great
deal and even then they will find an excuse to
pass on the deal. Some people are born tire kickers.

"Ken Davey" wrote in message ...
"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message
Seriously, I've been underwhelmed by responses to this fine old lathe. I
guess it's in the local want ads it goes.

I looked at a 13 inch south bend. Its just too big for most home shops.
Even Dave ficken told me that 13 inch machines don't sell well
because the HSM guys can't fit em in their shops.

chuck

Poor excuse for not jumping on a fine lathe!

Regards
Ken.

gary wilkin

--On Friday, July 11, 2003 5:51 AM -0700 Dave Ficken
wrote:

(Charles A. Sherwood) wrote in message
I looked at a 13 inch south bend. Its just too big for most home shops.
Even Dave ficken told me that 13 inch machines don't sell well
because the HSM guys can't fit em in their shops.

Actually, what I said was that I consider the 13" South Bends one of
the Biggest bargains available to HSM's because most folks consider
them too big and opt for the heavy 10 instead. A heavy 10 in
comparable condition is generally twice (or more) the price of a
similarly equipped 13" South Bend.

It really isn't that big, it takes up 30" X 75" floorspace. I had a SB 9"
for a while and it was just to damn small, so I stepped up to the 13" SB.

I am only offering it now because I found a Clausing 12" X 36" I like
better.

In the case of the machine that started this thread, the big draw back
that sprang to my mind was the mention of "2A" collets. That means it
likely has the 1-7/8" x 8 threaded spindle, which is not directly 5C
compatible and won't pass 1" stock through the spindle bore. IMHO that
puts a different ceiling on the value of the machine.

Regards,
Dave Ficken
Meridian Machinery
http://www.mermac.com

Yes, you are quite correct, it is not 5C compatible and has the 1 7/8" - 8
spindle thread. But with a spindle bore a little over an inch, you can pass
an inch thru with the chucks on it.
I suppose the biggest drawback is that 2A collets end at 11/16", but it
does have a full set, in 32nds, up to that range.

I thought someone here might want it because I made it plug and play with
the 110V motor. Oh well....

Dave, you being in the bidness and all, do you think I am asking to much
for it? Would you give me a price you do think it's worth?

thanks,
GW.......oh, I moved it into my shop single handed, so it's no big deal.

Greg Dermer

Wellllll look what I moved in *my* basement! ;-) Some folks don't know
what hard is! Or maybe the right word is crazy.

I have a friend with a 13" SB and it seems like a really nice machine

-- Greg
www.depmco.com

om...

"Ken Davey" wrote in message

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message
Seriously, I've been underwhelmed by responses to this fine old

lathe. I
guess it's in the local want ads it goes.

I looked at a 13 inch south bend. Its just too big for most home

shops.
Even Dave ficken told me that 13 inch machines don't sell well
because the HSM guys can't fit em in their shops.

chuck

Poor excuse for not jumping on a fine lathe!

Regards
Ken.

Dave Ficken

gary wilkin wrote in message .. .

Yes, you are quite correct, it is not 5C compatible and has the 1 7/8" - 8
spindle thread. But with a spindle bore a little over an inch, you can pass
an inch thru with the chucks on it.
I suppose the biggest drawback is that 2A collets end at 11/16", but it
does have a full set, in 32nds, up to that range.

I thought someone here might want it because I made it plug and play with
the 110V motor. Oh well....

Dave, you being in the bidness and all, do you think I am asking to much
for it? Would you give me a price you do think it's worth?

Not sure it can pass an inch all the way through the headstock. I got
rid of my 13" w/ 1-7/8" spindle for that reason.
Anyway, the price is within reason for the right buyer, especially if
the condition is very good. Subtract a few hundred dollars if it has
the single tumbler gearbox (judging by the spindle, it just might.)
Jim speculated as to whether the spindle can be upgraded to a later
2-1/4" x 8 spindle. The answer is yes, it can (d1-4 or LOO too) South
Bend used the same bearing diameters, just like they did on the 10L's
between the 1-7/8 and 2-1/4" (d1-4 or LOO too) spindles.
The spindle bore is therfore only a temporary set back until a
bigger-bore spindle can be located on Ebay or elsewhere.

regards,
dave