Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I bought eight semi trailers today

Scary but true, I bought 8 semi trailers today at an auction.

All are junk and rusted, but the price was right.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 20:33:30 -0600, Ignoramus25526
wrote:

Scary but true, I bought 8 semi trailers today at an auction.

All are junk and rusted, but the price was right.

I got one for $700 delivered a while back. VERY CHEAP storage
building. Bet I can sell it for more at any time.

Bet you got them for under $100 each if you have to move them
yourself.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, February 13, 2014 6:33:30 PM UTC-8, Ignoramus25526 wrote:
Scary but true, I bought 8 semi trailers today at an auction.

All are junk and rusted, but the price was right.

They day iggy actually makes something on his own that's real quality is the day I die.

I'm going to live to be a very old man. :)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Scary but true, I bought 8 semi trailers today at an auction.

All are junk and rusted, but the price was right.

I got one for $700 delivered a while back. VERY CHEAP storage
building. Bet I can sell it for more at any time.

Bet you got them for under $100 each if you have to move them
yourself.

I paid a lot more than that for them. But with scrap prices where they
are, I think that I can come ahead anyway. I can cut the legs and
axles off and move three trailers per round trip to the scrap yard, on
my own flatbed semi trailer.

Here are some representative pictures

http://goo.gl/aPDwca
http://goo.gl/Hg2uxz
http://goo.gl/mvxcfA
http://goo.gl/xpS1bA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Scary but true, I bought 8 semi trailers today at an auction.

All are junk and rusted, but the price was right.

I got one for $700 delivered a while back. VERY CHEAP storage
building. Bet I can sell it for more at any time.

Bet you got them for under $100 each if you have to move them
yourself.

I paid a lot more than that for them. But with scrap prices where they
are, I think that I can come ahead anyway. I can cut the legs and
axles off and move three trailers per round trip to the scrap yard, on
my own flatbed semi trailer.

Here are some representative pictures

http://goo.gl/aPDwca
http://goo.gl/Hg2uxz
http://goo.gl/mvxcfA
http://goo.gl/xpS1bA

You got a hellofa lot of steel there iggy.

I thought you meant cargo vans. Mine's an insulated reefer. real nice
cheap building now.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Scary but true, I bought 8 semi trailers today at an auction.

All are junk and rusted, but the price was right.

I got one for $700 delivered a while back. VERY CHEAP storage
building. Bet I can sell it for more at any time.

Bet you got them for under $100 each if you have to move them
yourself.

I paid a lot more than that for them. But with scrap prices where they
are, I think that I can come ahead anyway. I can cut the legs and
axles off and move three trailers per round trip to the scrap yard, on
my own flatbed semi trailer.

Here are some representative pictures

http://goo.gl/aPDwca
http://goo.gl/Hg2uxz
http://goo.gl/mvxcfA
http://goo.gl/xpS1bA

You got a hellofa lot of steel there iggy.

I am thinking each contains appx. 6-7 short tons of steel. and perhaps
some tires may be resellable.

I thought you meant cargo vans. Mine's an insulated reefer. real nice
cheap building now.

I recently saw one company that was owned by a rich hoarder. He had a
big yard, maybe 2 acres. It was completely filled with storage semi
trailer vans, full of crap, unbelievable sight.

This crap is right now on auction he

https://www.apexauctions.com/auction...auctionId=1104

That guy already extended the timed auction, by 40 days, TWICE. (!!!!)

He believes that he has a bunch of treasures. What I see is a bunch of
scrap metal junk that is hard to get out of those semi trailers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Scary but true, I bought 8 semi trailers today at an auction.

All are junk and rusted, but the price was right.

I got one for $700 delivered a while back. VERY CHEAP storage
building. Bet I can sell it for more at any time.

Bet you got them for under $100 each if you have to move them
yourself.

I paid a lot more than that for them. But with scrap prices where they
are, I think that I can come ahead anyway. I can cut the legs and
axles off and move three trailers per round trip to the scrap yard, on
my own flatbed semi trailer.

Here are some representative pictures

http://goo.gl/aPDwca
http://goo.gl/Hg2uxz

Ooh, some nice tubing there. Gonna keep it?

http://goo.gl/mvxcfA
http://goo.gl/xpS1bA

Plenty of pre-loaded scrap there. Is there a market for used I-beams
that large? I'll bet you could get a lot more than scrap prices for
them.

Good haul, as usual.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Scary but true, I bought 8 semi trailers today at an auction.

All are junk and rusted, but the price was right.

I got one for $700 delivered a while back. VERY CHEAP storage
building. Bet I can sell it for more at any time.

Bet you got them for under $100 each if you have to move them
yourself.

I paid a lot more than that for them. But with scrap prices where they
are, I think that I can come ahead anyway. I can cut the legs and
axles off and move three trailers per round trip to the scrap yard, on
my own flatbed semi trailer.

Here are some representative pictures

http://goo.gl/aPDwca
http://goo.gl/Hg2uxz
http://goo.gl/mvxcfA
http://goo.gl/xpS1bA

The blue one in the third photo looks pretty good. An hour or so with
a sand blaster and some paint and it would look pretty good.
Though..Ive not seen underneath

the second photo also looks pretty decent..10 minutes with a cutting
torch to get rid of the front barrier..same as above

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Dont know much about industrial food handling equipment do you...?

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
news
Dont know much about industrial food handling equipment do you...?

Gunner

Obviously, the equipment isn't in such a condition that it is worth
anything, or nobody in that area wants to buy old, questionable food
processing equipment... mmmm?

FWIW, Gunner, if there ain't a market for something, it's worthless.

When I buy used pharma equipment for use in the fireworks trade, I buy
from a used equipment house that's willing to a) let me try out the
equipment for the cost of shipping, and b) tests everything, and has a
guarantee on everything.

Such an outfit is GPI (George Ponte, Inc) Equipment, with whom I've been
very pleased.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 06:05:18 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
news
Dont know much about industrial food handling equipment do you...?

Gunner

Obviously, the equipment isn't in such a condition that it is worth
anything, or nobody in that area wants to buy old, questionable food
processing equipment... mmmm?

Perhaps. Or perhaps not. There are hordes of perfectly good hardware
of all types tucked away in just such containers all over this
country.. And how old are those stainless steel walk in freezers and
whatnot? Neither of us has any idea and we wont unless we actually
open the big swinging doors and look for ourselves..or hire someone to
do it

.. I was commenting on Iggys statement that they were filled with
junk. How does he know its all junk? He buys largely for scrap. Does
he deal in restaurant equipment?

Im reminded of the gentleman about 40 miles from here that has an
acre of Nash Metropolitans sitting in a field. None are for sale. So
are their worthless and should be scrapped?
http://fordfocuselectric.com/forums/...-12-500-a.html

I happen to know where there are (2) mint Jaguar XK-Es sitting in the
back of a machine shop, both covered up with tarps. Both mint. Not for
sale and neither has been started up in 20+ yrs. Are they worthless?
One is a British racing green hardtop..the other is a red convertable.

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/fi...r-E_Type.xhtml

I fill the tires about every 6 months..since the Vietnames shop owner
wont do it..or keeps forgetting....
I asked him how much he would sell me the green one for..he is now
down to $50k...reluctantly. He keeps hoping the price will go up.

Both are mint and low mileage.

But if I say there is some junk cars under those tarps...would I be
correct? How much can I get for them if I haul them off for scrap?
$500 each? Maybe?

FWIW, Gunner, if there ain't a market for something, it's worthless.

If its not up for sale..how do you know there isnt a market for it?

When I buy used pharma equipment for use in the fireworks trade, I buy
from a used equipment house that's willing to a) let me try out the
equipment for the cost of shipping, and b) tests everything, and has a
guarantee on everything.

Of course.

Such an outfit is GPI (George Ponte, Inc) Equipment, with whom I've been
very pleased.

Lloyd

Based on your statements..they have to be a very good company.

As I stated earlier in this thread..a couple of those trailers didnt
look too bad and likely could be cleaned up and resold easily...based
on poor selection of photos. Now Iggy is going to scrap them..because
its easy. Is that the best economic thing to do? No idea. A single
photo doesnt tell me squat.

https://www.apexauctions.com/auction...auctionId=1104

Perhaps you didnt go through the auction items?

Check out 194, 229, 230

Look like scrap to you?

That of course doesnt include the 2 snow blowers etc etc

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I agree. My own semi flatbed that I use all the time, needed some
extensive repairs in the kingpin area.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Looks like a minimum of $500,000 worth there if you can find the
right buyer - and thats just on the first 5 pages or so. I didn't go
all the way to page 12.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Scary but true, I bought 8 semi trailers today at an auction.

All are junk and rusted, but the price was right.

I got one for $700 delivered a while back. VERY CHEAP storage building.
Bet I can sell it for more at any time.

Bet you got them for under $100 each if you have to move them yourself.

Karl! Ask if any of them are big enough for your boat!

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

A few of them could very well actually be BETTER than the one you are
currently using - with a little bit of cleaning up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 06:05:18 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
news
Dont know much about industrial food handling equipment do you...?

Gunner

Obviously, the equipment isn't in such a condition that it is worth
anything, or nobody in that area wants to buy old, questionable food
processing equipment... mmmm?

Perhaps he was thinking the stuff Ig just demoed could be used to
offload the metal?

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
-- J. Arthur Thomson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-02-15, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 06:05:18 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
news
Dont know much about industrial food handling equipment do you...?

Gunner

Obviously, the equipment isn't in such a condition that it is worth
anything, or nobody in that area wants to buy old, questionable food
processing equipment... mmmm?

Perhaps he was thinking the stuff Ig just demoed could be used to
offload the metal?

Guys, I assume that you were not inside those semi trailers full of
hoarded food equipment.

I was in there and looked at them.

It is my opinion that most of those machines are broken and missing
parts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 02/14/2014 07:14 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

I happen to know where there are (2) mint Jaguar XK-Es sitting in the
back of a machine shop, both covered up with tarps. Both mint. Not for
sale and neither has been started up in 20+ yrs. Are they worthless?
One is a British racing green hardtop..the other is a red convertable.

Do you ever get to the Roseville area? Some guy there had 5 (hilly)
acres of Sunbeam Tigers and Alpines, with only a few Hillman Talbots
here and there.

technomaNge
--
Shoulda kept my Alpine.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 22:13:36 -0600, technomaNge wrote:

On 02/14/2014 07:14 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

I happen to know where there are (2) mint Jaguar XK-Es sitting in the
back of a machine shop, both covered up with tarps. Both mint. Not for
sale and neither has been started up in 20+ yrs. Are they worthless?
One is a British racing green hardtop..the other is a red convertable.

Do you ever get to the Roseville area? Some guy there had 5 (hilly)
acres of Sunbeam Tigers and Alpines, with only a few Hillman Talbots
here and there.

Cool! Id not heard about that guy!

technomaNge

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 21:25:46 -0600, Ignoramus10337

On 2014-02-15, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 06:05:18 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
news
Dont know much about industrial food handling equipment do you...?

Gunner

Obviously, the equipment isn't in such a condition that it is worth
anything, or nobody in that area wants to buy old, questionable food
processing equipment... mmmm?

Perhaps he was thinking the stuff Ig just demoed could be used to
offload the metal?

Guys, I assume that you were not inside those semi trailers full of
hoarded food equipment.

I was in there and looked at them.

It is my opinion that most of those machines are broken and missing
parts.

Then they might be worth a little for a guy that has an old bakery
with a bunch of those machines, and the Maker is long gone.

But if someone is investing the money to build a large production
bakery or other food factory, he isn't going to take a flyer on buying
large quantities of used gear unless he's got a stellar maintenance
team.

If he isn't actively marketing them /and/ regularly getting buyers for
them and shipping them out, he's got a pile of Scrap.

The fun part is seeing if he can make more money selling them all
As-Is, or whether a small investment of a Mechanic getting them all
fixed and certified Ready To Run will get him enough added sales and
increased prices to pay for it.

It's like those Flatbed Trailers you bought - a few of them might be
good enough to bother Painting and fixing up, and selling as usable
trailers. Others will be rusted through, tramped out axles, and ready
for scrap - just have to figure out which is which.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Scary but true, I bought 8 semi trailers today at an auction.

All are junk and rusted, but the price was right.

I got one for $700 delivered a while back. VERY CHEAP storage building.
Bet I can sell it for more at any time.

Bet you got them for under $100 each if you have to move them yourself.

Karl! Ask if any of them are big enough for your boat!

Yeah, all you'd need to do is build a cradle for the boat, and a two
or three axle Class 5 or 6 "City Tractor" retired from a beverage
distributor. You wouldn't need a full-on Class 8 tractor with that
light of a load.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-02-17, Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) wrote:
On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 21:25:46 -0600, Ignoramus10337
Guys, I assume that you were not inside those semi trailers full of
hoarded food equipment.

I was in there and looked at them.

It is my opinion that most of those machines are broken and missing
parts.

Then they might be worth a little for a guy that has an old bakery
with a bunch of those machines, and the Maker is long gone.

But if someone is investing the money to build a large production
bakery or other food factory, he isn't going to take a flyer on buying
large quantities of used gear unless he's got a stellar maintenance
team.

If he isn't actively marketing them /and/ regularly getting buyers for
them and shipping them out, he's got a pile of Scrap.

Exactly. Pile of scrap and some salvageable parts.

It's like those Flatbed Trailers you bought - a few of them might be
good enough to bother Painting and fixing up, and selling as usable
trailers. Others will be rusted through, tramped out axles, and ready
for scrap - just have to figure out which is which.

I think that I will scrap all of them.