Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Finally tried the monarch lathe

It is a model AA lathe, 14 inch swing, 16.5 "actual" swing, 54 inches
center to center. Hooked it up to 220v electrics, fired right up,
everything runs great. Both me and my mechanic, who is into lathes
also, think that it is "barely used". The ways, paint, etc, all
suggest that. A few handles are broken in a minor way and I will try
to restore them, but it is functional even with them broken, just not
as pretty. Think about it as a beautiful lady with dirty fingernails
and a booger. Still usable as a beautiful lady, just not as pretty.

We will keep this Monarch and sell the Clausing 6913.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus30848" wrote in message
It is a model AA lathe, 14 inch swing, 16.5 "actual" swing, 54 inches
center to center. Hooked it up to 220v electrics, fired right up,
everything runs great. Both me and my mechanic, who is into lathes
also, think that it is "barely used". The ways, paint, etc, all
suggest that. A few handles are broken in a minor way and I will try
to restore them, but it is functional even with them broken, just not
as pretty. Think about it as a beautiful lady with dirty fingernails
and a booger. Still usable as a beautiful lady, just not as pretty.

We will keep this Monarch and sell the Clausing 6913.

Wateryagonnado when you need 500+ rpm? Rent?
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Still usable as a beautiful lady, just not as pretty.

Interesting way to phrase that Iggy. You just put a bag over those parts
and its fine...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-13, Bob La Londe wrote:
Still usable as a beautiful lady, just not as pretty.

Interesting way to phrase that Iggy. You just put a bag over those parts
and its fine...

Or just use another avenue of approach.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:25:01 -0500, Ignoramus30848
wrote:

It is a model AA lathe, 14 inch swing, 16.5 "actual" swing, 54 inches
center to center. Hooked it up to 220v electrics, fired right up,
everything runs great. Both me and my mechanic, who is into lathes
also, think that it is "barely used". The ways, paint, etc, all
suggest that. A few handles are broken in a minor way and I will try
to restore them, but it is functional even with them broken, just not
as pretty. Think about it as a beautiful lady with dirty fingernails
and a booger. Still usable as a beautiful lady, just not as pretty.

We will keep this Monarch and sell the Clausing 6913.

Well done!!!

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 19:21:14 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

"Ignoramus30848" wrote in message
m...
It is a model AA lathe, 14 inch swing, 16.5 "actual" swing, 54 inches
center to center. Hooked it up to 220v electrics, fired right up,
everything runs great. Both me and my mechanic, who is into lathes
also, think that it is "barely used". The ways, paint, etc, all
suggest that. A few handles are broken in a minor way and I will try
to restore them, but it is functional even with them broken, just not
as pretty. Think about it as a beautiful lady with dirty fingernails
and a booger. Still usable as a beautiful lady, just not as pretty.

We will keep this Monarch and sell the Clausing 6913.

Wateryagonnado when you need 500+ rpm? Rent?

I told him to keep both...but NOOOO...the Ruski wouldnt
listen....sigh.

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

I told him to keep both...but NOOOO...the Ruski wouldnt
listen....sigh.

WAIT a minute, Gunny... In one post you say "well done!", and in another
you say it's the wrong choice.

Now; which is it? G
LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 17:01:12 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

I told him to keep both...but NOOOO...the Ruski wouldnt
listen....sigh.

WAIT a minute, Gunny... In one post you say "well done!", and in another
you say it's the wrong choice.

Now; which is it? G
LLoyd

Well done that he got a good near new Monarch. Bad that he is going
to sell the everyday user machine for normal small stuff.

He seems bound and determined to run .250 stuff at 500 rpm...and
Ive..we have all mentioned the problems with that to him...yet he is
going to continue on his path...so one always gives a big hug to the
slow or retarded. Its the loving thing to do.

Shrug

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 00:06:54 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

[...]

We've all made moves that were regretted. In Iggy's case, i bet he
buys a 10EE or an HLV-H for peanuts.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ayup. If he sells the lathe..he really..really needs to find a HLV-H.
That would do him pretty well for the common everyday stuff.

10EEs are quite often a :work in progress"

Id sell him my HLV-H..but Ive not quite decided to sell it or not.
And it wont be cheap.

Gunner

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ayup. If he sells the lathe..he really..really needs to find a HLV-H.
That would do him pretty well for the common everyday stuff.

10EEs are quite often a :work in progress"

Id sell him my HLV-H..but Ive not quite decided to sell it or not.
And it wont be cheap.

Gunner

I guess we prefer what we know. I like the 10EE better. You're right
the DC drive is often dead or dying. Not a very big job. Especially in
view of the cost savings.

I just got a pass from SWMBO to bid on a 1978 10EE in cherry shape
with a ton of tooling. I agreed to sell *gack* my beloved (1940) 10EE
if I'm top bidder. My machine is still in top shape so I may not bid
high enough.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I bought a very nice HLV-H for $1k once. At an auction, no less.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus8543" wrote in message

I bought a very nice HLV-H for $1k once. At an auction, no less.

This is an experienced instrument maker's opinion of the Monarch EE
and the HLV-H versus less specialized lathes:
http://www.trevorheath.com/livesteam...0a%20lathe.htm

The runtogether words look like they were originally at line breaks on
a wider column.

Last night I had no trouble cutting a 5/16-24 thread up to a
minimal-width groove I cut with the threading bit, on the SB 10L. The
spindle stops almost instantly when I see the curled chip stop moving
and raise the belt tension lever. The part is a grease hole plug in
the side of a tube and needed threads up to within a thin washer's
thickness from the head.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-16, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ignoramus8543" wrote in message

I bought a very nice HLV-H for $1k once. At an auction, no less.

This is an experienced instrument maker's opinion of the Monarch EE
and the HLV-H versus less specialized lathes:
http://www.trevorheath.com/livesteam...0a%20lathe.htm

The runtogether words look like they were originally at line breaks on
a wider column.

Last night I had no trouble cutting a 5/16-24 thread up to a
minimal-width groove I cut with the threading bit, on the SB 10L. The
spindle stops almost instantly when I see the curled chip stop moving
and raise the belt tension lever. The part is a grease hole plug in
the side of a tube and needed threads up to within a thin washer's
thickness from the head.

We set the Monarch in place yesterday. I figured out operation of all
handles, except for one.

I am thinking to install a micro switch in line with the STOP button,
so that I can provide an adjustable stop for the automatic feed. That
way I could start a fine feed turning operation and walk away.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 21:41:39 -0500, Ignoramus8704
wrote:

On 2013-06-16, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

That should be done not with a stop button, but with some sort of
lever to disconnect the feed lever. You dont want the machine to wind
down with a tool in contact with the material. Trust me on this. You
will have some parts long..and some short and some with the tool
busted off in the work if you do.

Gunner

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
repeating some stupid, meaningless phrase a billion times" Arms for
hostages, arms for hostages, arms for hostages, it's just about sex, just
about sex, just about sex, dumb,dumb, money in politics,money in
politics, Enron, Enron, Enron. Nothing repeated with mind-numbing
frequency in all major news outlets will not be believed by some members
of the populace. It is the permanence of evil; you can't stop it." (Ann
Coulter)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2013-06-16, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

Gunner, I am convinced that you are right.

Anyway, what exactly do micrometer stops do? Just help with manual
operation? Sorry for my ignorance. The machine has a mic stop. I am
home today taking a break from work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2013-06-16, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

Micrometer stops are for HAND operation of the carriage. You simply
turn the crank until you hit the stop. Doing it under power...will
strip out your bronze half nuts/drive nuts instantly..or shear the
safety dowel in your gear train. There are many different types of
engagements and most..most of them will require it to be done by hand.
Hardinge lathes are one of the few lathes that use a friction clutch
and putting in a micrometer stop and running up against it while under
power is normal operation. Ive had to fix more than one lathe that
people didnt understand this..and busted something. Usually they
sheared the dowel pin (safety pin)..but several times that shearable
pin had been replaced with a hardened steel dowel and it didnt
shear..and wiped out gears in the headstock. And that..gets expensive
really quickly.

Now there are some..some lathes with a manual "button" of some sort
that can have a "trip stop" on them that when hit..will take it out of
gear. My Clausing 1500 is one such. But not all..or even most are so
equipped.

Gunner

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
repeating some stupid, meaningless phrase a billion times" Arms for
hostages, arms for hostages, arms for hostages, it's just about sex, just
about sex, just about sex, dumb,dumb, money in politics,money in
politics, Enron, Enron, Enron. Nothing repeated with mind-numbing
frequency in all major news outlets will not be believed by some members
of the populace. It is the permanence of evil; you can't stop it." (Ann
Coulter)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anyway, what exactly do micrometer stops do? Just help with manual
operation? Sorry for my ignorance. The machine has a mic stop. I am
home today taking a break from work.

Micrometer stops are for HAND operation of the carriage. You simply
turn the crank until you hit the stop. Doing it under power...will
strip out your bronze half nuts/drive nuts instantly..or shear the
safety dowel in your gear train. There are many different types of
engagements and most..most of them will require it to be done by
hand.

My South Bend has an adjustable friction clutch on the carriage feed,
but it's not active for threading. I loosen the flat leather drive
belt to stop the spindle quickly. There isn't much inertia in it with
only a collet.

The cam lever that engages the feed rotates to set the friction
clutch. It easily shifts and loses its setting when I operate the
lever.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner, some lathes with micrometer stops *will* disengage the feeds and/or threading - mine does the feeds within a thou" but screwcutting is still manual.

Feed disengagement is done by a torque-sensing face cam each for the cross and carriage feeds independently which drops the worm out of engagement, works really well and it's foolproof - easy to set up too, with a gauge tray aligned with the micrometer head and an adjustable stop rod!

I'd like it to have threading stops like the Hardinge HLV-H etc., but for some reason they were skipped on the lathe I have... Working on that, though, looks simple enough to do the clutch etc. but the operating rod and trip mechanism is a bit of a challenge.... For now, I have VFD braking set up with a microswitch at the runout point, works ok, but...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Iz zist the same group that's been around forever ... or even longer?

If it is HELLLLOOOO I haven;t seen this group for over 10 years

I'm the Bridgeport know-it-all (not)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014 08:29:56 -0700 (PDT), invntrr
wrote:

Iz zist the same group that's been around forever ... or even longer?

If it is HELLLLOOOO I haven;t seen this group for over 10 years

I'm the Bridgeport know-it-all (not)

Welcome back. Work for Hardinge now?

Gunner, OmniTurn tech

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"

---