Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Finally tried the monarch lathe

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 22:14:21 -0500, Ignoramus8704
wrote:

Anyway, what exactly do micrometer stops do? Just help with manual
operation? Sorry for my ignorance. The machine has a mic stop. I am
home today taking a break from work.

Micrometer stops are for HAND operation of the carriage. You simply
turn the crank until you hit the stop. Doing it under power...will
strip out your bronze half nuts/drive nuts instantly..or shear the
safety dowel in your gear train. There are many different types of
engagements and most..most of them will require it to be done by
hand.

My South Bend has an adjustable friction clutch on the carriage feed,
but it's not active for threading. I loosen the flat leather drive
belt to stop the spindle quickly. There isn't much inertia in it with
only a collet.

The cam lever that engages the feed rotates to set the friction
clutch. It easily shifts and loses its setting when I operate the
lever.
jsw