Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Parting out a Monarch C series 16 inch lathe?

I am just wondering about something. As I mentioned earlier, I am
buying three machines (Axelson lathe, Monarch 16 inch lathe with sever
wear, and CIncinnati 50 taper horizontal mill).

My plan from the beginning was to scrap the badly worn Monarch and
CInci, and sell the Axelson, possibly after regrinding the bed. The
only thing that I took off the Monarch, right now, is the tailstock
and the top slide.

My question is, does it make any sense to hold on to the Monarch for a
week, in order to get some valuable parts out of it, or do you think
that it is entirely scrap metal material? Are the handles, gears etc worth
anything? Leadscrew or some such?

I am assuming that a 16x30 Monarch weighs under 6k lbs.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus17548 wrote:
... Are the handles, gears etc worth
anything? Leadscrew or some such?

Is there any activity on eBay for these parts? The Atlas that I parted
out was a very popular hobbiest machine & there was a big demand for
parts for it.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-12, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Ignoramus17548 wrote:
... Are the handles, gears etc worth
anything? Leadscrew or some such?

Is there any activity on eBay for these parts? The Atlas that I parted
out was a very popular hobbiest machine & there was a big demand for
parts for it.

Bob

I have not seen much in completed items, no. I am very aware of Atlas
parts, I once bought a bucket of gears and tooling for Atlas lathes
for $10, and it worked out well for me.

As for this Monarch, I am not so sure, it was a great lathe back in
its days, but by now most of them are probably scrap candidates. I
love them, I just doubt that there is a big parts market.

I am going back and forth on this all the time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just looked at Monarch in general on Ebay and there isn't much parts
activity.
Trouble is, I don't know if that's because there is little interest, or if
it's because few sellers bother to put the stuff out there.
Why not try putting a bunch of easy-to-remove stuff on Ebay right away,
even before you take the parts off the machine?
Make 'em 5 day auctions, or "Buy it now". Wait the 5 days. If you get good
prices and a lot of action, dismantle it. If not, scrap it.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-02-13, Pete S wrote:
I just looked at Monarch in general on Ebay and there isn't much parts
activity.
Trouble is, I don't know if that's because there is little interest, or if
it's because few sellers bother to put the stuff out there.
Why not try putting a bunch of easy-to-remove stuff on Ebay right away,
even before you take the parts off the machine?
Make 'em 5 day auctions, or "Buy it now". Wait the 5 days. If you get good
prices and a lot of action, dismantle it. If not, scrap it.

Pete Stanaitis

Yep. I feel bad about scrappping it outright, anyway. I will part it
out. Just for the heck of it, I will get regrinding quotes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I am looking for parts for a monarch c series, stumbled upon this old post. Do you still have this lathe or parts?