DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Parting out a Monarch C series 16 inch lathe? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/335671-parting-out-monarch-c-series-16-inch-lathe.html)

Ignoramus17548 February 12th 12 03:11 PM

Parting out a Monarch C series 16 inch lathe?

I am just wondering about something. As I mentioned earlier, I am
buying three machines (Axelson lathe, Monarch 16 inch lathe with sever
wear, and CIncinnati 50 taper horizontal mill).

My plan from the beginning was to scrap the badly worn Monarch and
CInci, and sell the Axelson, possibly after regrinding the bed. The
only thing that I took off the Monarch, right now, is the tailstock
and the top slide.

My question is, does it make any sense to hold on to the Monarch for a
week, in order to get some valuable parts out of it, or do you think
that it is entirely scrap metal material? Are the handles, gears etc worth
anything? Leadscrew or some such?

I am assuming that a 16x30 Monarch weighs under 6k lbs.

Bob Engelhardt February 12th 12 08:54 PM

Ignoramus17548 wrote:
... Are the handles, gears etc worth
anything? Leadscrew or some such?

Is there any activity on eBay for these parts? The Atlas that I parted
out was a very popular hobbiest machine & there was a big demand for
parts for it.

Bob

Ignoramus17548 February 12th 12 09:20 PM

On 2012-02-12, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Ignoramus17548 wrote:
... Are the handles, gears etc worth
anything? Leadscrew or some such?

Is there any activity on eBay for these parts? The Atlas that I parted
out was a very popular hobbiest machine & there was a big demand for
parts for it.

Bob

I have not seen much in completed items, no. I am very aware of Atlas
parts, I once bought a bucket of gears and tooling for Atlas lathes
for $10, and it worked out well for me.

As for this Monarch, I am not so sure, it was a great lathe back in
its days, but by now most of them are probably scrap candidates. I
love them, I just doubt that there is a big parts market.

I am going back and forth on this all the time.

Pete S February 13th 12 05:36 PM

Parting out a Monarch C series 16 inch lathe?

I just looked at Monarch in general on Ebay and there isn't much parts
activity.
Trouble is, I don't know if that's because there is little interest, or if
it's because few sellers bother to put the stuff out there.
Why not try putting a bunch of easy-to-remove stuff on Ebay right away,
even before you take the parts off the machine?
Make 'em 5 day auctions, or "Buy it now". Wait the 5 days. If you get good
prices and a lot of action, dismantle it. If not, scrap it.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Ignoramus26334 February 14th 12 01:12 AM

On 2012-02-13, Pete S wrote:
I just looked at Monarch in general on Ebay and there isn't much parts
activity.
Trouble is, I don't know if that's because there is little interest, or if
it's because few sellers bother to put the stuff out there.
Why not try putting a bunch of easy-to-remove stuff on Ebay right away,
even before you take the parts off the machine?
Make 'em 5 day auctions, or "Buy it now". Wait the 5 days. If you get good
prices and a lot of action, dismantle it. If not, scrap it.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Yep. I feel bad about scrappping it outright, anyway. I will part it
out. Just for the heck of it, I will get regrinding quotes.

[email protected] April 10th 14 06:24 PM

Parting out a Monarch C series 16 inch lathe?

I am looking for parts for a monarch c series, stumbled upon this old post. Do you still have this lathe or parts?

DoN. Nichols[_2_] April 11th 14 06:09 AM

On 2014-04-10, wrote:

I am looking for parts for a monarch c series, stumbled upon this old
post. Do you still have this lathe or parts?

Who is the "you" in this case? You know that you are posting to
a usenet newsgroup (though you probably read it as a "Googgle Group",
and thousands of people participate who are scattered all over the world
-- and people come and go in the newsgroup.

If you had posted the name of the original poster -- or perhaps
the date as well -- perhaps someone would recognize a response to their
original post.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
(too) near Washington D.C. |

Ignoramus19954 April 11th 14 01:00 PM

Parting out a Monarch C series 16 inch lathe?

All parts sold long ago.

I remember that I put up the compound slide for it on ebay, and it
sold in 4 (four) minutes! ($250) I still keep getting calls about that
compound.