Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Finally tried the monarch lathe

"Ignoramus8543" wrote in message

I bought a very nice HLV-H for $1k once. At an auction, no less.

This is an experienced instrument maker's opinion of the Monarch EE
and the HLV-H versus less specialized lathes:
http://www.trevorheath.com/livesteam...0a%20lathe.htm

The runtogether words look like they were originally at line breaks on
a wider column.

Last night I had no trouble cutting a 5/16-24 thread up to a
minimal-width groove I cut with the threading bit, on the SB 10L. The
spindle stops almost instantly when I see the curled chip stop moving
and raise the belt tension lever. The part is a grease hole plug in
the side of a tube and needed threads up to within a thin washer's
thickness from the head.
jsw