Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bught an interesting 1944 Monarch lathe 16x54

This is a 16 (16 inch real swing) by 54 inch Monarch lathe.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-N...604_135130.jpg

What is interesting about it is that it has very little wear. So
little, in fact, that I could not discern any significant amount
of wear. Bedways near the chuck look just like bedways near the
tailstock. So does the cross-slide bed.

In addition, it is pretty loaded with tooling, tailstock, steady rest,
3 jaw chuck, collet set with collet closer, etc. I also bought a 4 jaw
on the same auction. And, it also has a complete taper attachment.

I have not 100% decided, but I may keep this one for us and sell my
Clausing, which is a much lesser lathe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 18:04:05 -0500, Ignoramus11086
wrote:

This is a 16 (16 inch real swing) by 54 inch Monarch lathe.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-N...604_135130.jpg

What is interesting about it is that it has very little wear. So
little, in fact, that I could not discern any significant amount
of wear. Bedways near the chuck look just like bedways near the
tailstock. So does the cross-slide bed.

In addition, it is pretty loaded with tooling, tailstock, steady rest,
3 jaw chuck, collet set with collet closer, etc. I also bought a 4 jaw
on the same auction. And, it also has a complete taper attachment.

I have not 100% decided, but I may keep this one for us and sell my
Clausing, which is a much lesser lathe.

Monarchs are tough. What do you mean by "real swing"? Diameter clear
of the bed, or clear of the saddle? Or something else?

FWIW, the Brits measure lathe swing by radius, so it's half of our
measure.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-04, Ignoramus11086 wrote:
This is a 16 (16 inch real swing) by 54 inch Monarch lathe.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-N...604_135130.jpg

What is interesting about it is that it has very little wear. So
little, in fact, that I could not discern any significant amount
of wear. Bedways near the chuck look just like bedways near the
tailstock. So does the cross-slide bed.

In addition, it is pretty loaded with tooling, tailstock, steady rest,
3 jaw chuck, collet set with collet closer, etc. I also bought a 4 jaw
on the same auction. And, it also has a complete taper attachment.

I have not 100% decided, but I may keep this one for us and sell my
Clausing, which is a much lesser lathe.

Also, the paint usually gets chipped off the front right corner of the
headstock, from just regular use and banging it with tools over the
years. And on this one, it is only a little bit chipped. Same for the
carriage.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This is a 16 (16 inch real swing) by 54 inch Monarch lathe.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-N...604_135130.jpg

What is interesting about it is that it has very little wear. So
little, in fact, that I could not discern any significant amount
of wear. Bedways near the chuck look just like bedways near the
tailstock. So does the cross-slide bed.

In addition, it is pretty loaded with tooling, tailstock, steady rest,
3 jaw chuck, collet set with collet closer, etc. I also bought a 4 jaw
on the same auction. And, it also has a complete taper attachment.

I have not 100% decided, but I may keep this one for us and sell my
Clausing, which is a much lesser lathe.

Monarchs are tough. What do you mean by "real swing"? Diameter clear
of the bed, or clear of the saddle? Or something else?

The data plate says "Swing 14 inches, actual 16 inches"

FWIW, the Brits measure lathe swing by radius, so it's half of our
measure.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This is a 16 (16 inch real swing) by 54 inch Monarch lathe.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-N...604_135130.jpg

What is interesting about it is that it has very little wear. So
little, in fact, that I could not discern any significant amount
of wear. Bedways near the chuck look just like bedways near the
tailstock. So does the cross-slide bed.

In addition, it is pretty loaded with tooling, tailstock, steady rest,
3 jaw chuck, collet set with collet closer, etc. I also bought a 4 jaw
on the same auction. And, it also has a complete taper attachment.

I have not 100% decided, but I may keep this one for us and sell my
Clausing, which is a much lesser lathe.

Why not keep both? Something you evidently didnt look real hard
at..is the top speed of the (very nice) Monarch. It has what...a 500
or 1000 rpm top speed? 1500?

Try cutting something thats .250 with it before you toss the Clausing.

Just a heads up......

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 18:18:02 -0500, Ignoramus11086
wrote:

On 2013-06-04, Ignoramus11086 wrote:
[...]

Its been repainted sometime in its life span. Nicely..but tis a
repaint. It may have been rebuilt at least once.

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This is a 16 (16 inch real swing) by 54 inch Monarch lathe.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-N...604_135130.jpg

What is interesting about it is that it has very little wear. So
little, in fact, that I could not discern any significant amount
of wear. Bedways near the chuck look just like bedways near the
tailstock. So does the cross-slide bed.

In addition, it is pretty loaded with tooling, tailstock, steady rest,
3 jaw chuck, collet set with collet closer, etc. I also bought a 4 jaw
on the same auction. And, it also has a complete taper attachment.

I have not 100% decided, but I may keep this one for us and sell my
Clausing, which is a much lesser lathe.

Monarchs are tough. What do you mean by "real swing"? Diameter clear
of the bed, or clear of the saddle? Or something else?

The data plate says "Swing 14 inches, actual 16 inches"

Hmm. I'm curious about what they mean by that. Maybe they mean that a
cutting tool can cut 7 inches from center. Or maybe not.

Anyway, the capacity is nice for a home shop. The mass of the machine
might be a little hefty. Monarchs were well-regarded production
machines.

--
Ed Huntress

FWIW, the Brits measure lathe swing by radius, so it's half of our
measure.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I only want to have one lathe, not too worried that once in a great
while I spend extra time turning something.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It is for my work, I no longer have a home shop.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I have a similar Monarch, a series 61 that's one or two generations
newer than yours, which appears to be a CK. Top speed on mine is 900
RPM, yours is probably 450-500 RPM. For my uses, I'd feel quite
limited if I had only the Monarch. BTW, the nameplate on mine says
13", but it'll swing nearly 17".

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

So the big question is...will you be turning big stuff more than
little stuff? Or will you turn something that the Monarch can run
once in a decade?

So what was the top speed of that sweet old Monarch again?

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Blink blink....why the hell not? You now live at the business????

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

All things that we turned last several months were over 1/2 inch, most
were above 1 inch.

So what was the top speed of that sweet old Monarch again?

I forgot, I guess 500 RPM.

It looks just like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-X-54-Mona...-/320676378083

I actually scrapped a very similar lathe a year ago, that one was worn
to death. The compound slide from it, I sold 4 minutes after I listed it
for $250.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Well, it is my business, so why should I have two shops?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus11086 wrote:

I no longer have a home shop.

Your wife must be very happy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-05, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus11086 wrote:

I no longer have a home shop.

Your wife must be very happy

Yes, now the mess in the garage is her fault
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

This is a 16 (16 inch real swing) by 54 inch Monarch lathe.

I have not 100% decided, but I may keep this one for us and sell my
Clausing, which is a much lesser lathe.

Why not keep both? Something you evidently didnt look real hard
at..is the top speed of the (very nice) Monarch. It has what...a 500
or 1000 rpm top speed? 1500?

Try cutting something thats .250 with it before you toss the Clausing.

Just a heads up......

I only want to have one lathe, not too worried that once in a great
while I spend extra time turning something.

You'll probably also get a rather poor finish at such low speeds
with such small workpieces.

However -- perhaps get something like a 9" South Bend for the
smaller stuff (what RPM can you expect from that?). But I know that if
I got a 16" (and had somewhere to put it), I would still keep the
12" Clausing, and the little Taig, and the Compact-5/CNC. Each has its
resons for existing. I would also keep the Unimat SL-1000, except that
it got damaged in the fire. :-(

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Oh..it IS a very nice lathe! Im really sure of that..and I myself
would love to have it!! Not that Id have a lot of use for
it...unfortunately..but it is a dream machine for somebody.

And as you mentioned the max RPM is 500 rpm...that gonna be a problem
for you with carbide insert tooling and parts under 1"

Im sure you can make room for the both of them. Its too nice a lathe
to sell off..you are not likely to get all that much for it..even as
nice as it is...but it will do you good duty on your bigger work.

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

One for work..and one for hobby stuff in the evening. Or do you build
model airplanes, stuff for the house, etc etc..when the mood strikes
you, you get in the truck and drive how many miles to the shop?

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-05, Gunner Asch wrote:

It is for my work, I no longer have a home shop.

Blink blink....why the hell not? You now live at the business????

Well, it is my business, so why should I have two shops?

I thought Wifey said "Get that **** outta my garage, Ig!"
gd&r

--
I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you
have earned, but it is not greed to want take someone else's money.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus11086" wrote in message

I have not 100% decided, but I may keep this one for us and sell my
Clausing, which is a much lesser lathe.

Until you need to do some small diameter work which case it'd be like
feeding an infant with a backhoe instead of a spoon.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

And as you mentioned the max RPM is 500 rpm...that gonna be a problem
for you with carbide insert tooling and parts under 1"

Yep...

Ig, the low speed 'problem' isn't about how fast you get the work done,
it's about surface finish, and the types of tooling you'll be able to
use.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-05, Gunner Asch wrote:

It is for my work, I no longer have a home shop.

Blink blink....why the hell not? You now live at the business????

Well, it is my business, so why should I have two shops?

I thought Wifey said "Get that **** outta my garage, Ig!"
gd&r

And that, too, how did YOU know?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I do hobby stuff at work also. We'll be hopefully doing the cannon
this weekend.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I think that I could easily get $2,500 for it, any time, and quick. I
am sure that Guatemalans will buy it right away for that price. And I
will ask for more than that initially.

And I also think that it is too nice to sell off.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Don't overlook the convenience of having two lathes, I fine myself
running over to my older lather for quick tasks rather than tearing down
something I have setup on the newer lathe. BTW, that newer lathe does
2,400 RPM (kinda scary) and I've routinely been running it at 350 RPM on
fairly large dia stuff. 500 RPM max is indeed a limitation and a good
reason to keep the other lathe around.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message . com...

lathe does 2,400 RPM (kinda scary) and I've

I run "small" work at 10,000 rpms

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message . com...

lathe does 2,400 RPM (kinda scary) and I've

I run "small" work at 10,000 rpms

Not on a basic 13x40 Taiwan manual lathe, and I presume not in an 8"
chuck...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message .com...

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message . com...

lathe does 2,400 RPM (kinda scary) and I've

I run "small" work at 10,000 rpms

Not on a basic 13x40 Taiwan manual lathe, and I presume not in an 8"
chuck...

12mm swiss.

Anything over a few inches I send out; because the need arises so infrequently that buying a largish lathe would be an exceptionally stupid business investment on my part.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I thought Wifey said "Get that **** outta my garage, Ig!"
gd&r

And that, too, how did YOU know?

Sounds like Larry is married too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 18:11:06 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I thought Wifey said "Get that **** outta my garage, Ig!"
gd&r

And that, too, how did YOU know?

Sounds like Larry is married too.

Heavens, no! I had my eyes and ears open at a very young age and
decided that was one ceremony I would never be sucked into, and I
haven't. Taking a Wifey costs too much time, too much money, and too
many concessions. Nope, I just rent 'em. (aka "occasional sweet
girlfriends", not hookers.)

--
I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you
have earned, but it is not greed to want take someone else's money.
--Thomas Sowell
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I thought Wifey said "Get that **** outta my garage, Ig!"
gd&r

And that, too, how did YOU know?

Sounds like Larry is married too.

Heavens, no! I had my eyes and ears open at a very young age and
decided that was one ceremony I would never be sucked into, and I
haven't. Taking a Wifey costs too much time, too much money, and too
many concessions. Nope, I just rent 'em. (aka "occasional sweet
girlfriends", not hookers.)

They say, if it flies, floats, or ****s, it is cheaper to rent.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:4NydnRA1LNiZGjLMnZ2dnUVZ_vydnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
. com...

lathe does 2,400 RPM (kinda scary) and I've

I run "small" work at 10,000 rpms

Not on a basic 13x40 Taiwan manual lathe, and I presume not in an 8"
chuck...

12mm swiss.

Anything over a few inches I send out; because the need arises so
infrequently that buying a largish lathe would be an exceptionally stupid
business investment on my part.
=================================

AND, iirc, you just recently got a..... SAW.... lol
Saws are a pita, tho....
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 11:21:20 PM UTC-4, DoN. Nichols wrote:

You'll probably also get a rather poor finish at such low speeds
with such small workpieces.

OK, I understand why 500rpm is too low to cut properly on small diameters, but is it possible to increase the speed of this particular lathe? Is there something about the drive or bearings that makes it impossible?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:4NydnRA1LNiZGjLMnZ2dnUVZ_vydnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
. com...

lathe does 2,400 RPM (kinda scary) and I've

I run "small" work at 10,000 rpms

Not on a basic 13x40 Taiwan manual lathe, and I presume not in an 8"
chuck...

12mm swiss.

Anything over a few inches I send out; because the need arises so
infrequently that buying a largish lathe would be an exceptionally stupid
business investment on my part.
=================================

AND, iirc, you just recently got a..... SAW.... lol
Saws are a pita, tho....

I've had the saw for quite some time now, and although the problems with
having parts pre-sawn by my metal supplier were several, cost was not a
factor....

1) Delivery (lead time)
2) Their coolant corroded the aluminum if left on for any length of time
xusing problems with the anodizing.
3) Sawing myself allowed me much more flexubility.

One of our main product lines consists of about 12 detail parts which are
all made out of 1/4 thick aluminum bar, in 1-1/2, 2, 3, and 4in widths...but
since they are cut to several different lengths, it was previously necessary
for me to keep a fairly large inventory of pre-sawn blanks in inventory
whereas nowadays all I have to do is order more bar stock when I run low on
any given width.

Most important is probably the flexibility aspect--whereas I used to have 12
setups on the vertical mills for these parts, today I run all of them and in
any combination in Chick multi-station tombstone vises on a multi-pallet
horizontal cnc and the only thing needed to "change over" from one part to
another is I'll add the part into the que which takes all of about 10
seconds, whereas it used to take a week or more just to get the material on
the floor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 11:21:20 PM UTC-4, DoN. Nichols wrote:

You'll probably also get a rather poor finish at such low speeds
with such small workpieces.

OK, I understand why 500rpm is too low to cut properly on small diameters,
but is it possible to increase the speed of this particular lathe? Is
there something about the drive or bearings that makes it impossible?

Proly could just change the motor speed (assuming the motor is not already
3600 rpm), and/or the drive pulleys. I'm sure the bearings could handle it,
altho it is generally true that the faster the rpm, the faster the wear.
Many lathes come with two-speed motors.
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-06, Existential Angst wrote:
"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 11:21:20 PM UTC-4, DoN. Nichols wrote:

You'll probably also get a rather poor finish at such low speeds
with such small workpieces.

OK, I understand why 500rpm is too low to cut properly on small diameters,
but is it possible to increase the speed of this particular lathe? Is
there something about the drive or bearings that makes it impossible?

Proly could just change the motor speed (assuming the motor is not already
3600 rpm), and/or the drive pulleys. I'm sure the bearings could handle it,
altho it is generally true that the faster the rpm, the faster the wear.
Many lathes come with two-speed motors.

This lathe is 70 year old by design and age.

Can you increase the "motor speed" of a 70 year old grandfaher? What will
happen to the grandpa in the long run? we all know

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-06, Existential Angst wrote:

"rangerssuck" wrote in message

On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 11:21:20 PM UTC-4, DoN. Nichols wrote:

You'll probably also get a rather poor finish at such low speeds
with such small workpieces.

OK, I understand why 500rpm is too low to cut properly on small diameters,
but is it possible to increase the speed of this particular lathe? Is
there something about the drive or bearings that makes it impossible?

Can you increase the "motor speed" of a 70 year old grandfaher? What will
happen to the grandpa in the long run? we all know

Sorry, I'm not buying that metaphor. This lathe, as you described it, is only 70 years old by design - not by mileage. I would assume that any shop buying that lathe 70 years ago would have known what they were going to use it for and would also have had a smaller, faster machine for doing smaller work. But that doesn't mean it's impossible to do. Of course, you're not going to spin an 8" (or 12"!) chuck at 2500 RPM, but is there anything about the mechanics of this lathe (bearings, gears, whatever) that makes it impossible to spin a 5C collet with your 0.250" workpiece that fast?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Wednesday, June 5, 2013 11:37:43 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus13376 wrote:

Can you increase the "motor speed" of a 70 year old grandfaher? What will
happen to the grandpa in the long run? we all know

Of course, you're not going to spin an 8" (or 12"!) chuck at 2500 RPM, but
is there anything about the mechanics of this lathe (bearings, gears,
whatever) that makes it impossible to spin a 5C collet with your 0.250"
workpiece that fast?

This ought to be good G

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 5 Jun 2013 23:00:48 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 11:21:20 PM UTC-4, DoN. Nichols wrote:

You'll probably also get a rather poor finish at such low speeds
with such small workpieces.

OK, I understand why 500rpm is too low to cut properly on small diameters,
but is it possible to increase the speed of this particular lathe? Is
there something about the drive or bearings that makes it impossible?

Proly could just change the motor speed (assuming the motor is not already
3600 rpm), and/or the drive pulleys. I'm sure the bearings could handle it,
altho it is generally true that the faster the rpm, the faster the wear.
Many lathes come with two-speed motors.

Does that lathe HAVE ball bearing spindle bearings? Thats the first
question Id be asking.

Gunner