Bruno

Default Free Monarch lathe in SF area (forwarded ad)

If you have a big truck and want a free Monarch lathe, here's an ad I
spotted. I don't know anything about it; I just saw the ad and thought
I'd pass it on.

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/zip/36061221.html

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 03:14:46 GMT, Bruno calmly
ranted:

If you have a big truck and want a free Monarch lathe, here's an ad I
spotted. I don't know anything about it; I just saw the ad and thought
I'd pass it on.

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/zip/36061221.html

Damn, I'll be down there in 2 weeks but don't think the
old shortbet F-150 will handle it. A week late and 4.5
tons too short, eh?

-----
= Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Mark Rand

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:40:57 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 03:14:46 GMT, Bruno calmly
ranted:

If you have a big truck and want a free Monarch lathe, here's an ad I
spotted. I don't know anything about it; I just saw the ad and thought
I'd pass it on.

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/zip/36061221.html

Damn, I'll be down there in 2 weeks but don't think the
old shortbet F-150 will handle it. A week late and 4.5
tons too short, eh?

You've got a few days to phone him and a few more days to find a trailer :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Jim Stewart

wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 03:14:46 GMT, Bruno calmly
ranted:

If you have a big truck and want a free Monarch lathe, here's an ad I
spotted. I don't know anything about it; I just saw the ad and thought
I'd pass it on.

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/zip/36061221.html

Damn, I'll be down there in 2 weeks but don't think the
old shortbet F-150 will handle it. A week late and 4.5
tons too short, eh?

You've got a few days to phone him and a few more days to find a trailer :-)

And a few days to figure out how to sneak it
past the "warden"

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:18:54 +0100, Mark Rand
calmly ranted:

wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 03:14:46 GMT, Bruno calmly
ranted:

If you have a big truck and want a free Monarch lathe, here's an ad I
spotted. I don't know anything about it; I just saw the ad and thought
I'd pass it on.

http://www.craigslist.org/eby/zip/36061221.html

Damn, I'll be down there in 2 weeks but don't think the
old shortbet F-150 will handle it. A week late and 4.5
tons too short, eh?

You've got a few days to phone him and a few more days to find a trailer :-)

Towing 5 tons with a 2.5T GVWR 1/2 ton pickup ought to be fun.

---
Annoy a politician: Be trustworthy, faithful, and honest!
---
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:50:00 -0700, Jim Stewart
calmly ranted:

Mark Rand wrote:
You've got a few days to phone him and a few more days to find a trailer :-)

And a few days to figure out how to sneak it
past the "warden"

No warden here, but I'd lose half my woodshop to that
particular 14' lathe. Nothin' doin' !

---
Annoy a politician: Be trustworthy, faithful, and honest!
---
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Mark Rand

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:25:46 -0700, Larry Jaques
worried that:

Towing 5 tons with a 2.5T GVWR 1/2 ton pickup ought to be fun.

Should be doable. Preferably with a 4 wheel braked trailer with ackerman
steering. 'Course you would need a new workshop to house all the dispossessed
woodworking machinery:-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:57:50 +0100, Mark Rand
calmly ranted:

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:25:46 -0700, Larry Jaques
worried that:
Towing 5 tons with a 2.5T GVWR 1/2 ton pickup ought to be fun.

Should be doable. Preferably with a 4 wheel braked trailer with ackerman
steering. 'Course you would need a new workshop to house all the dispossessed
woodworking machinery:-)

Yeah, I think I'll pass on that one.

Then again, truck shipping might be a lot cheaper.

Nah, I'll find a nice -used- Griz 7x12 when I'm ready.

---
Annoy a politician: Be trustworthy, faithful, and honest!
---
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Gunner

Mark Rand wrote:
You've got a few days to phone him and a few more days to find a trailer :-)

And a few days to figure out how to sneak it
past the "warden"

No warden here, but I'd lose half my woodshop to that
particular 14' lathe. Nothin' doin' !

But think of all the Grecian Columns you could turn!

Gunner

"The entire population of Great Britain has been declared insane by
their government. It is believed that should any one of them come in
possession of a firearm, he will immediately start to foam at the
mouth and begin kiling children at the nearest school. The proof of
their insanity is that they actually believe this."
-- someone in misc.survivalism
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 03:57:07 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:26:56 -0700, Larry Jaques

No warden here, but I'd lose half my woodshop to that
particular 14' lathe. Nothin' doin' !

But think of all the Grecian Columns you could turn!

Parthenon-sized, too, eh?

Oh, my aching back...

-
DANCING: The vertical frustration of a horizontal desire.
http://diversify.com Full Service Web Programming

Bruce L. Bergman

wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:18:54 +0100, Mark Rand
calmly ranted:

You've got a few days to phone him and a few more days to find a trailer :-)

Towing 5 tons with a 2.5T GVWR 1/2 ton pickup ought to be fun.

****, that's nothing. Try towing about 5 tons (if not more) of
trailer (Homebrew mobile rock-band stage, plus PA stacks) built on a
recycled 45' two-axle single-wide mobile-home chassis, one electric
braked axle - with a Late 60's International 1/2 ton flatbed, 304,
drum manual brakes.

Then again, I was the second idiot following them in a '62 Scout,
very tired 152-Four 4-speed, drum manual brakes, with a ton of
Mil-Spec Cast Iron PE-95G generator and single axle trailer hitched on
the back, no trailer brakes. That was bad enough.

I now know well the smell of cooking brakes, and the value of
downshifting on hills... Going over Las Virgenes Road/Malibu Canyon
was bad enough - the flattest option between the Valley and Zuma
Beach. Taking either Topanga Canyon or Kanan Road/Kanan-Dume would
have been sure suicide. Even going around by freeway would be out,
the 405 has that long 8% grade...

I still have the generator ;-) but I sure don't try to tow it very
far with anything that small anymore.

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 03:28:14 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman
calmly ranted:

wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:18:54 +0100, Mark Rand
calmly ranted:

You've got a few days to phone him and a few more days to find a trailer :-)

Towing 5 tons with a 2.5T GVWR 1/2 ton pickup ought to be fun.

****, that's nothing. Try towing about 5 tons (if not more) of
trailer (Homebrew mobile rock-band stage, plus PA stacks) built on a
recycled 45' two-axle single-wide mobile-home chassis, one electric
braked axle - with a Late 60's International 1/2 ton flatbed, 304,
drum manual brakes.

Then again, I was the second idiot following them in a '62 Scout,
very tired 152-Four 4-speed, drum manual brakes, with a ton of
Mil-Spec Cast Iron PE-95G generator and single axle trailer hitched on
the back, no trailer brakes. That was bad enough.

I had a '72 scout 2WD with 4-wheel drum, M/S, M/B, drove
like a _truck_. That was a fun one to take flying, though.

I gave a girlfriend a cardiac when I drove over the curb and
up a 10' bank at the end of a street, then about 3' in the
air into the field above. A few days later I stopped for gas
and noticed something hanging in the front. It was my shock
mount broken off the leaf land at the axle. About 80% of it
had been an old break but my flight took the last of it. I
got the guys in the body shop to show me how to grind and mig
it into a solid piece again with the Millermatic. Nice rig.
I made a bikini top for the roll bar and removed the top about
8 months out of the year in LoCal. Got it from my BIL once he
had brought his load of talking rocks out from Arkansas. The
original baby blue paint was replaced with a royal blue Imron.
Ah, fond memories...

I now know well the smell of cooking brakes, and the value of
downshifting on hills... Going over Las Virgenes Road/Malibu Canyon
was bad enough - the flattest option between the Valley and Zuma
Beach. Taking either Topanga Canyon or Kanan Road/Kanan-Dume would
have been sure suicide. Even going around by freeway would be out,
the 405 has that long 8% grade...

I don't think I've ever driven Las V or Topanga. Is either
anything switchbacky like Mulholland Drive?

I still have the generator ;-) but I sure don't try to tow it very
far with anything that small anymore.

I can well imagine.

- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals -
http://diversify.com Web App & Database Programming

Bruce L. Bergman

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 22:03:03 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I don't think I've ever driven Las V or Topanga. Is either
anything switchbacky like Mulholland Drive?

Las Virgenes has lots of gentle curves, and the grades don't get too
bad. This is all beautiful area to drive through, remember that
M.A.S.H. was filmed between Kanan Rd. and Cornell Rd. at Paramount
Ranch. (Now a public park.)

Topanga Canyon has some serious switchbacks leaving the San Fernando
Valley climbing to the top of the hill, after that it's mostly
moderate curves to the ocean.

Mulholland Drive was laid out in the Teens and Twenties when they
avoided earth-moving as much as possible, so it's all twisty. The
motorcyclists love it. Same for Westlake Blvd./ Decker Rd. (CA 23).

Kanan Dume southbound is serious steep for the last few miles where
it makes a T intersection with Pacific Coast Highway. They give you a
nasty choice - a gravel-pit Runaway Truck lane, or blow through the
PCH signal and hit the side of a hill head-on. Typical Bureaucrat-
Think - first they put in the Runaway Truck lane, then they put strict
truck restrictions on the road. (Then again, if some fool ignores the
restriction, or takes a truck with flaky brakes up there for a local
pickup...)

And going northbound, Kanan Road has a few miles of 8% or better
downgrade - lose it there, and you end up in the parking lot of Rustic
Canyon Grill and Grocery.

But that's what Darwin's Law is all about - now we give the fools
big heavy trucks that haven't had their brakes properly checked in
years, so they can make a bigger BANG! when they go.
(Ob. Metalworking content - Vehicle Modifications through impact.)

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 18:22:14 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman
calmly ranted:

wrote:

I don't think I've ever driven Las V or Topanga. Is either
anything switchbacky like Mulholland Drive?

Las Virgenes has lots of gentle curves, and the grades don't get too
bad. This is all beautiful area to drive through, remember that
M.A.S.H. was filmed between Kanan Rd. and Cornell Rd. at Paramount
Ranch. (Now a public park.)

Topanga Canyon has some serious switchbacks leaving the San Fernando
Valley climbing to the top of the hill, after that it's mostly
moderate curves to the ocean.

Mulholland Drive was laid out in the Teens and Twenties when they
avoided earth-moving as much as possible, so it's all twisty. The

I missed most of the HelL.A. roads but did get up there every
once in awhile. AAMOF, I was on San Vicente Blvd. the day before
I watched the movie "Volcano" and just about sh*t a brick when I
saw the area pictured in the movie. It was within a block of the
job I was on (repairing a bone densitometer). That was a very
eerie feeling.

motorcyclists love it. Same for Westlake Blvd./ Decker Rd. (CA 23).

Road racers also love the Ortega Hwy (CA 74 between San Juan
Capistrano and Lake Elsinore). I took my '70 Mark Donahue Special
Javelin on that and had a blast in 40-wheel drifts keeping up with
the bikes.

But that's what Darwin's Law is all about - now we give the fools
big heavy trucks that haven't had their brakes properly checked in
years, so they can make a bigger BANG! when they go.
(Ob. Metalworking content - Vehicle Modifications through impact.)

Yes, and now that the nice non-maintaned Tijuana Specials are rolling
through the ROKalifornia, it should get even more interesting.

- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals -
http://diversify.com Web App & Database Programming

Larry Jaques

Javelin on that and had a blast in 40-wheel drifts keeping up with
the bikes.

Er, make that 4-wheel drifts.

-
Better Living Through Denial