Dean

Default Myford lathe bed reconditioning in Atlanta. area?

"Doug Warner" wrote in message

My Myford ML7 needs it's ways reground. Is there a shop in the
Atlanta area that can do this for less than the price of a new bed?

Alternative: Make a jig to guide on the original, unworn back edge of
the front way, and. taking light passes, cut the worn edges parallel
using a woodworking router and spiral carbide burr..

....and I think you'd be taking it to a machine shop afterwards to have it
reground anyway ! I hope you were joking about the router option. Grinding
machine spindles are about 10 times more rigid and accurate for good
reasons. But not a bad idea if you were stuck on Gilligan's Island.

Dean

Mark Rand

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:17:41 -0400, Doug Warner
wrote:

My Myford ML7 needs it's ways reground. Is there a shop in the
Atlanta area that can do this for less than the price of a new bed?

Alternative: Make a jig to guide on the original, unworn back edge of
the front way, and. taking light passes, cut the worn edges parallel
using a woodworking router and spiral carbide burr..

Is yours a recent one with the saddle bearing on the front shear of the front
ways and the rear shear of the rear ways then? or the front and rear shears of
the rear way.

In either case, it is possible to make a jig to hold a dial gauge from the
unused shear. It is then possible to use a square and a file, oilstone or
scraper to get the worn shear straight and parallel again. The ML7 beds are
not hardened so the work is not impossible. If you can find a shop that does
re-grinding it should be cheaper than a V-way bed. It's £138 from Myfords
themselves but I'm only 50 miles away from them, I suspect it's a bit of a
long drive for you!

Mark Rand
RTFM
jim rozen

Default Myford fasteners..

In article , Doug Warner says...

Metric and Multistandard corp. carries these.

Thanks. Excellent source, and they're local.=20

Local, as in Elmsford, NY?

That's the branch that I attend whenever I need
metric fasteners or cutting tools.

Jim

please reply to: