Bruce L. Bergman

Default Free Monarch lathe in SF area (forwarded ad)

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:25:46 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:18:54 +0100, Mark Rand
calmly ranted:

You've got a few days to phone him and a few more days to find a trailer :-)

Towing 5 tons with a 2.5T GVWR 1/2 ton pickup ought to be fun.

****, that's nothing. Try towing about 5 tons (if not more) of
trailer (Homebrew mobile rock-band stage, plus PA stacks) built on a
recycled 45' two-axle single-wide mobile-home chassis, one electric
braked axle - with a Late 60's International 1/2 ton flatbed, 304,
drum manual brakes.

Then again, I was the second idiot following them in a '62 Scout,
very tired 152-Four 4-speed, drum manual brakes, with a ton of
Mil-Spec Cast Iron PE-95G generator and single axle trailer hitched on
the back, no trailer brakes. That was bad enough.

I now know well the smell of cooking brakes, and the value of
downshifting on hills... Going over Las Virgenes Road/Malibu Canyon
was bad enough - the flattest option between the Valley and Zuma
Beach. Taking either Topanga Canyon or Kanan Road/Kanan-Dume would
have been sure suicide. Even going around by freeway would be out,
the 405 has that long 8% grade...

I still have the generator ;-) but I sure don't try to tow it very
far with anything that small anymore.

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545