Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default Bught an interesting 1944 Monarch lathe 16x54

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 11:21:20 PM UTC-4, DoN. Nichols wrote:

You'll probably also get a rather poor finish at such low speeds
with such small workpieces.

OK, I understand why 500rpm is too low to cut properly on small diameters,
but is it possible to increase the speed of this particular lathe? Is
there something about the drive or bearings that makes it impossible?

Proly could just change the motor speed (assuming the motor is not already
3600 rpm), and/or the drive pulleys. I'm sure the bearings could handle it,
altho it is generally true that the faster the rpm, the faster the wear.
Many lathes come with two-speed motors.
--
EA