Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Air or electric cylinder?

I'm designing a new generation machine that will need to push a 5/8" rod
two inches with about 600 lbs of pressure. It also needs to be a bit
"springy". The new machine is only about 5 cubic feet in volume and
will replace current machines that are 4' x 5' x 6' in volume. The old
machines use hydraulic power for the pin push. I want the entire
machine to use 120VAC only. One option is a small pump and an air
cylinder, another is a linear actuator with an in-line die spring or
something I haven't thought of. The rest of the machine is most of the
way there and rather clever...for me, anyway. What pitfalls can I
expect with a linear actuator?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-04, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
I'm designing a new generation machine that will need to push a 5/8" rod
two inches with about 600 lbs of pressure. It also needs to be a bit
"springy". The new machine is only about 5 cubic feet in volume and
will replace current machines that are 4' x 5' x 6' in volume. The old
machines use hydraulic power for the pin push. I want the entire
machine to use 120VAC only. One option is a small pump and an air
cylinder, another is a linear actuator with an in-line die spring or
something I haven't thought of. The rest of the machine is most of the
way there and rather clever...for me, anyway. What pitfalls can I
expect with a linear actuator?

You can push a threaded rod with a spring attached, using a DC motor
and two micro switches to limit travel.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

I'm designing a new generation machine that will need to push a 5/8" rod
two inches with about 600 lbs of pressure. It also needs to be a bit
"springy". The new machine is only about 5 cubic feet in volume and
will replace current machines that are 4' x 5' x 6' in volume. The old
machines use hydraulic power for the pin push. I want the entire
machine to use 120VAC only. One option is a small pump and an air
cylinder, another is a linear actuator with an in-line die spring or
something I haven't thought of. The rest of the machine is most of the
way there and rather clever...for me, anyway. What pitfalls can I
expect with a linear actuator?

Not sure what the control / timing requirements are. Would this be
something best done with a continuously running motor, an electric
clutch and a gear drive to a cam type setup?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus11086 fired this volley in
:

You can push a threaded rod with a spring attached, using a DC motor
and two micro switches to limit travel.

A 2" stroke 3" cylinder produces that much (slightly more) force at 100psi.
That seems the more reliable solution.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/4/2013 9:59 AM, Pete C. wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

I'm designing a new generation machine that will need to push a 5/8" rod
two inches with about 600 lbs of pressure. It also needs to be a bit
"springy". The new machine is only about 5 cubic feet in volume and
will replace current machines that are 4' x 5' x 6' in volume. The old
machines use hydraulic power for the pin push. I want the entire
machine to use 120VAC only. One option is a small pump and an air
cylinder, another is a linear actuator with an in-line die spring or
something I haven't thought of. The rest of the machine is most of the
way there and rather clever...for me, anyway. What pitfalls can I
expect with a linear actuator?

Not sure what the control / timing requirements are. Would this be
something best done with a continuously running motor, an electric
clutch and a gear drive to a cam type setup?

Plenty of time, 3 seconds to extend or retract. The rest of my staff is
all for air, it just simplifies things and is cheaper. And, air can be
used for clean-up and other things

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus11086 fired this volley in
:

You can push a threaded rod with a spring attached, using a DC motor
and two micro switches to limit travel.

A 2" stroke 3" cylinder produces that much (slightly more) force at 100psi.
That seems the more reliable solution.

Lloyd

We like air more and more, screw the all electric goal. A small
compressor just doesn't matter.

However, I sure will avoid hydraulics!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-04, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
I'm designing a new generation machine that will need to push a 5/8" rod
two inches with about 600 lbs of pressure. It also needs to be a bit
"springy". The new machine is only about 5 cubic feet in volume and
will replace current machines that are 4' x 5' x 6' in volume. The old
machines use hydraulic power for the pin push. I want the entire
machine to use 120VAC only. One option is a small pump and an air
cylinder, another is a linear actuator with an in-line die spring or
something I haven't thought of. The rest of the machine is most of the
way there and rather clever...for me, anyway. What pitfalls can I
expect with a linear actuator?

You can push a threaded rod with a spring attached, using a DC motor
and two micro switches to limit travel.

Yep, ant that would be a good option. I still will figure out how to
get the required push but we;re leaning toward air. Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

Yep, ant that would be a good option.

What kind of ant? ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 17:56:20 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks fired this volley in news:c6-
:

Yep, ant that would be a good option. I still will figure out how to
get the required push but we;re leaning toward air. Thanks.

Tom,
Not only is air the simpler solution (although I use motorized
positioners, too), but it's just as "springy" as you'd want.

One application I have requires that the pressing rod be able to retract
_instantly_ under explosive force. There's nothing for it, but to use an
air cylinder (with an especially long stroke, in my case) to ensure that
nothing-but-nothing obstructs the travel of that rod if it must be
ejected from the zone by the action of an accident inside the pressing
area.

I.E.-- I might use a 6" stroke for a 2" travel, so that I can make sure
there's not excessive force required to back the rod out of it's zone
when required.

LLoyd

One way Ive used to set a device to pull fast or slow..is to use an
adjustable volume valve..and on a tee next to it attached to the same
port...a solenoid valve that only opens under an emergency condition.
The "trickle" valve will allow the rate of movement to be
adjusted..there is also a certain amount of spring as the cylinder is
being drawn..but if you get an emergency condition..that solenoid will
open wide and bypass that adjustable "trickle valve" and allow full
speed retraction.

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 18:49:56 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks
wrote:
snip
push a 5/8" rod two inches with about 600 lbs of pressure.

Check out air brake actuators for HD trucks/trailers.

one place to start

http://www.easternmarine.com/Air-Bra...ers-Diaphrams/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

Yep, ant that would be a good option.

What kind of ant? ;-)

A dead one! Dead-ant, dead-ant, dead-annnnnt!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/4/2013 9:17 PM, F. George McDuffee wrote:
On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 18:49:56 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks
wrote:
snip
push a 5/8" rod two inches with about 600 lbs of pressure.

Check out air brake actuators for HD trucks/trailers.

one place to start

http://www.easternmarine.com/Air-Bra...ers-Diaphrams/

Yep, used them before for blister packing machines, I have a few in stock!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

Yep, ant that would be a good option.

What kind of ant? ;-)

A dead one! Dead-ant, dead-ant, dead-annnnnt!

Quit panting, Pinkie!!! ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 13:05:32 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

[...]

Hope it helps. I dont do a lot of pnuematics..but Ive done some here
and there.

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

Yep, ant that would be a good option.

What kind of ant? ;-)

A dead one! Dead-ant, dead-ant, dead-annnnnt!

Quit panting, Pinkie!!! ;-)

Sorry, my fav cartoon!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

Yep, ant that would be a good option.

What kind of ant? ;-)

A dead one! Dead-ant, dead-ant, dead-annnnnt!

Quit panting, Pinkie!!! ;-)

Sorry, my fav cartoon!

Too bad he died from inhaling all that fiberglass dust.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Thu, 06 Jun 2013
21:48:29 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Yep, ant that would be a good option.

What kind of ant? ;-)

A dead one! Dead-ant, dead-ant, dead-annnnnt!

Quit panting, Pinkie!!! ;-)

Sorry, my fav cartoon!

Too bad he died from inhaling all that fiberglass dust.

Am I pondering what you're pondering? I think so, Brain … but
wouldn't a tenor make a better pirate because of the high Cs
involved?*

(speaking of fiberglass dust - anyone else read the speculation on the
cloud over Huntville Alabama. it wasn't visible to the eye, but made
a big plume on radar. Some "fiberglass fibers" were found around the
area.)

tschus
pyotr

* not a canonical "pondering" line, but the author at
http://hogewash.com/ has some, interesting ones.

"Umm, I think so, Brain … but wouldn't tube socks miniaturized for us
use transistors?"
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Yep, ant that would be a good option.

What kind of ant? ;-)

A dead one! Dead-ant, dead-ant, dead-annnnnt!

Quit panting, Pinkie!!! ;-)

Sorry, my fav cartoon!

Too bad he died from inhaling all that fiberglass dust.

Am I pondering what you're pondering? I think so, Brain … but
wouldn't a tenor make a better pirate because of the high Cs
involved?*

(speaking of fiberglass dust - anyone else read the speculation on the
cloud over Huntville Alabama. it wasn't visible to the eye, but made
a big plume on radar. Some "fiberglass fibers" were found around the
area.)

UFD?

Unidentified Fiberglass Dust?

tschus
pyotr

* not a canonical "pondering" line, but the author at
http://hogewash.com/ has some, interesting ones.

"Umm, I think so, Brain … but wouldn't tube socks miniaturized for us
use transistors?"
--
pyotr filipivich

"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Yep, ant that would be a good option.

What kind of ant? ;-)

A dead one! Dead-ant, dead-ant, dead-annnnnt!

Quit panting, Pinkie!!! ;-)

Sorry, my fav cartoon!

Too bad he died from inhaling all that fiberglass dust.

Am I pondering what you're pondering? I think so, Brain … but
wouldn't a tenor make a better pirate because of the high Cs
involved?*

OUCH! BTW, that was a Pink Panther reference, not Pinkie and the
Brain. (Gawd, how did those get produced?)

--
I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you
have earned, but it is not greed to want take someone else's money.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Thu, 06 Jun 2013 23:37:07 -0700

Tom Gardner wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Yep, ant that would be a good option.

What kind of ant? ;-)

A dead one! Dead-ant, dead-ant, dead-annnnnt!

Quit panting, Pinkie!!! ;-)

Sorry, my fav cartoon!

Too bad he died from inhaling all that fiberglass dust.

Am I pondering what you're pondering? I think so, Brain … but
wouldn't a tenor make a better pirate because of the high Cs
involved?*

(speaking of fiberglass dust - anyone else read the speculation on the
cloud over Huntville Alabama. it wasn't visible to the eye, but made
a big plume on radar. Some "fiberglass fibers" were found around the
area.)

UFD?

Unidentified Fiberglass Dust?

UAFF - Unidentified Aluminized Fiberglass Fibers.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Fri, 07 Jun 2013
06:34:08 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Tom Gardner wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Yep, ant that would be a good option.

What kind of ant? ;-)

A dead one! Dead-ant, dead-ant, dead-annnnnt!

Quit panting, Pinkie!!! ;-)

Sorry, my fav cartoon!

Too bad he died from inhaling all that fiberglass dust.

Am I pondering what you're pondering? I think so, Brain … but
wouldn't a tenor make a better pirate because of the high Cs
involved?*

OUCH! BTW, that was a Pink Panther reference, not Pinkie and the
Brain. (Gawd, how did those get produced?)

Pink Panther reference? Oh - the penny drops. (Douh!)

What can I say, I had a misspent youth, spent out of the country.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Yep, ant that would be a good option.

What kind of ant? ;-)

A dead one! Dead-ant, dead-ant, dead-annnnnt!

Quit panting, Pinkie!!! ;-)

Sorry, my fav cartoon!

Too bad he died from inhaling all that fiberglass dust.

Am I pondering what you're pondering? I think so, Brain … but
wouldn't a tenor make a better pirate because of the high Cs
involved?*

(speaking of fiberglass dust - anyone else read the speculation on the
cloud over Huntville Alabama. it wasn't visible to the eye, but made
a big plume on radar. Some "fiberglass fibers" were found around the
area.)

UFD?

Unidentified Fiberglass Dust?

UAFF - Unidentified Aluminized Fiberglass Fibers.

It would have to be, to be reflective on radar.

--
pyotr filipivich

"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Yep, ant that would be a good option.

What kind of ant? ;-)

A dead one! Dead-ant, dead-ant, dead-annnnnt!

Quit panting, Pinkie!!! ;-)

Sorry, my fav cartoon!

Too bad he died from inhaling all that fiberglass dust.

Am I pondering what you're pondering? I think so, Brain … but
wouldn't a tenor make a better pirate because of the high Cs
involved?*

OUCH! BTW, that was a Pink Panther reference, not Pinkie and the
Brain. (Gawd, how did those get produced?)

Pink Panther reference? Oh - the penny drops. (Douh!)

That's a pair of quarters, at today's rate of inflation.

What can I say, I had a misspent youth, spent out of the country.

--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Fri, 07 Jun 2013 11:23:25 -0700

Tom Gardner wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Yep, ant that would be a good option.

What kind of ant? ;-)

A dead one! Dead-ant, dead-ant, dead-annnnnt!

Quit panting, Pinkie!!! ;-)

Sorry, my fav cartoon!

Too bad he died from inhaling all that fiberglass dust.

Am I pondering what you're pondering? I think so, Brain … but
wouldn't a tenor make a better pirate because of the high Cs
involved?*

(speaking of fiberglass dust - anyone else read the speculation on the
cloud over Huntville Alabama. it wasn't visible to the eye, but made
a big plume on radar. Some "fiberglass fibers" were found around the
area.)

UFD?

Unidentified Fiberglass Dust?

UAFF - Unidentified Aluminized Fiberglass Fibers.

It would have to be, to be reflective on radar.

At the very least, that is what They(tm) want us to think it was.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Fri, 07 Jun 2013
18:37:44 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Tom Gardner wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Yep, ant that would be a good option.

What kind of ant? ;-)

A dead one! Dead-ant, dead-ant, dead-annnnnt!

Quit panting, Pinkie!!! ;-)

Sorry, my fav cartoon!

Too bad he died from inhaling all that fiberglass dust.

Am I pondering what you're pondering? I think so, Brain … but
wouldn't a tenor make a better pirate because of the high Cs
involved?*

OUCH! BTW, that was a Pink Panther reference, not Pinkie and the
Brain. (Gawd, how did those get produced?)

Pink Panther reference? Oh - the penny drops. (Douh!)

That's a pair of quarters, at today's rate of inflation.

And this afternoon - out of a clear blue ceiling - I got the "ant"
reference/connection.

What can I say, I had a misspent youth, spent out of the country.

--
pyotr filipivich

pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Yep, ant that would be a good option.

What kind of ant? ;-)

A dead one! Dead-ant, dead-ant, dead-annnnnt!

Quit panting, Pinkie!!! ;-)

Sorry, my fav cartoon!

Too bad he died from inhaling all that fiberglass dust.

Am I pondering what you're pondering? I think so, Brain … but
wouldn't a tenor make a better pirate because of the high Cs
involved?*

OUCH! BTW, that was a Pink Panther reference, not Pinkie and the
Brain. (Gawd, how did those get produced?)

Pink Panther reference? Oh - the penny drops. (Douh!)

What can I say, I had a misspent youth, spent out of the country.

Here you go, you poor soul. The original song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OPc7MRm4Y8

And with cartoon to catch you up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhHwnrlZRus

And The Fiberglass Connection:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBQvwoGZzQI

--
I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you
have earned, but it is not greed to want take someone else's money.
--Thomas Sowell
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Fri, 07 Jun 2013
20:48:48 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Tom Gardner wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Yep, ant that would be a good option.

What kind of ant? ;-)

A dead one! Dead-ant, dead-ant, dead-annnnnt!

Quit panting, Pinkie!!! ;-)

Sorry, my fav cartoon!

Too bad he died from inhaling all that fiberglass dust.

Am I pondering what you're pondering? I think so, Brain … but
wouldn't a tenor make a better pirate because of the high Cs
involved?*

OUCH! BTW, that was a Pink Panther reference, not Pinkie and the
Brain. (Gawd, how did those get produced?)

Pink Panther reference? Oh - the penny drops. (Douh!)

What can I say, I had a misspent youth, spent out of the country.

Here you go, you poor soul. The original song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OPc7MRm4Y8

I remember that

And with cartoon to catch you up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhHwnrlZRus

And The Fiberglass Connection:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBQvwoGZzQI

These were "late" in my development. Took quite a while for the
connections to percolate up from the depths, especially seeing as how
this is finals week.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

And this afternoon - out of a clear blue ceiling - I got the "ant"
reference/connection.

At least you figured it out. It's taken some people 'months' to get
one of my puns.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
Yep, ant that would be a good option.

What kind of ant? ;-)

A dead one! Dead-ant, dead-ant, dead-annnnnt!

Quit panting, Pinkie!!! ;-)

Sorry, my fav cartoon!

Too bad he died from inhaling all that fiberglass dust.

Am I pondering what you're pondering? I think so, Brain … but
wouldn't a tenor make a better pirate because of the high Cs
involved?*

OUCH! BTW, that was a Pink Panther reference, not Pinkie and the
Brain. (Gawd, how did those get produced?)

Steven Spielberg was how those got produced, especially Animaniacs. He
was aiming squarely at the College and Young Adult / Parents crowd,
and the stuff for kids was deliberate but secondary.

That's why the "Well, Goodnight Folks!!" line was thrown in by Wakko
after the more risque entendres, as if it was an old-fashioned Live
Show and they expected the plug to be pulled the minute the jokes hit
air and the Executives saw them.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/30629...out-animaniacs

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 18:45:37 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 6/4/2013 9:59 AM, Pete C. wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

[...]

Air is fine, but it's not so good where you need positive control on
the stroke of that push, so you don't have a Tool Crash when the
follow-up operation tries to happen - unless it has enough brute force
to clear a misshaped or mispositioned workpiece out of the way, and/or
you put a limit switch to make sure it went far enough to do what you
want.

And those truck brake units are handy things - and consider the Spring
Brake ones. You have to apply pressure to release the parking brake
springs, and then you apply air to the other half to get normal
braking. But when it absolutely positively has to fail safe, the
spring (and a dump valve of some sort) makes sure of it.

I notice you deliberately haven't said what this actuator is doing...
Yeah, distributing 5,000 copies of the NDA and making sure they all
got signed and returned would be a problem.

-- Bruce --