Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Air or electric cylinder?

On 2013-06-04, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
I'm designing a new generation machine that will need to push a 5/8" rod
two inches with about 600 lbs of pressure. It also needs to be a bit
"springy". The new machine is only about 5 cubic feet in volume and
will replace current machines that are 4' x 5' x 6' in volume. The old
machines use hydraulic power for the pin push. I want the entire
machine to use 120VAC only. One option is a small pump and an air
cylinder, another is a linear actuator with an in-line die spring or
something I haven't thought of. The rest of the machine is most of the
way there and rather clever...for me, anyway. What pitfalls can I
expect with a linear actuator?

You can push a threaded rod with a spring attached, using a DC motor
and two micro switches to limit travel.

Yep, ant that would be a good option. I still will figure out how to
get the required push but we;re leaning toward air. Thanks.