Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pitted hydraulic cylinder rod, cylinder leak

I have a hydraulic cylinder (a tilt cylinder from a 12k forklift) that
is leaking. We took it apart and found that the rod is pitted on the
bottom and that probably tore up the seals.

So, my question is, what is the most economical option here, is there
perhaps a CNC based company that custom makes such things?Any other ideas?

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 26, 2:13*pm, Ignoramus19246 ignoramus19...@NOSPAM.
19246.invalid wrote:
I have a hydraulic cylinder (a tilt cylinder from a 12k forklift) that
is leaking. We took it apart and found that the rod is pitted on the
bottom and that probably tore up the seals.

So, my question is, what is the most economical option here, is there
perhaps a CNC based company that custom makes such things?Any other ideas?

Thanks

Get dimensions and look at the likes of Surplus Center in Lincoln.
Plenty of new surplus cylinders there.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

19246.invalid wrote:
I have a hydraulic cylinder (a tilt cylinder from a 12k forklift) that
is leaking. We took it apart and found that the rod is pitted on the
bottom and that probably tore up the seals.

So, my question is, what is the most economical option here, is there
perhaps a CNC based company that custom makes such things?Any other ideas?

Thanks

Get dimensions and look at the likes of Surplus Center in Lincoln.
Plenty of new surplus cylinders there.

Stan

Or there are "bone yards" for salvage/spare parts...here Abilene Machine
is close for ag equipment; there have to be at least a couple in a large
metro area like you're in/near that deal w/ industrial equipment same way.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 15:13:18 -0500, Ignoramus19246
wrote:

I have a hydraulic cylinder (a tilt cylinder from a 12k forklift) that
is leaking. We took it apart and found that the rod is pitted on the
bottom and that probably tore up the seals.

So, my question is, what is the most economical option here, is there
perhaps a CNC based company that custom makes such things?Any other ideas?

Thanks

You can buy chrome plated rod and have someone duplicate your rod, or
do it yourself. And there are services that will strip, recondition,
and replate your rod. No recommendation, bad or good, for these
places; they're just examples from a google search.

http://www.teamtubellc.com/en/produc...ated-ihcp.aspx
http://www.fluidpowerservice.com/har...e_plating.html

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus19246" wrote in
message ...
I have a hydraulic cylinder (a tilt cylinder from a 12k forklift)
that
is leaking. We took it apart and found that the rod is pitted on the
bottom and that probably tore up the seals.

So, my question is, what is the most economical option here, is
there
perhaps a CNC based company that custom makes such things?Any other
ideas?

Thanks

There are several small shops around here that rebuild hydraulics.
They don't advertise and I only found them by asking around. One which
I'd never noticed was on the way home from work. He had a sign out
front so people could find him, but no indication of what the business
was in his barn.

Another is my source of round steel cutoffs for making tools.

http://www.baileynet.com/

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/27/2012 7:13 AM, Ignoramus19246 wrote:
I have a hydraulic cylinder (a tilt cylinder from a 12k forklift) that
is leaking.

If you can't find a suitable replacement, could you not have your one
hard chromed and reground?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a hydraulic cylinder (a tilt cylinder from a 12k forklift) that
is leaking. We took it apart and found that the rod is pitted on the
bottom and that probably tore up the seals.

So, my question is, what is the most economical option here, is there
perhaps a CNC based company that custom makes such things?Any other ideas?

Thanks

Heyn Iggy,

Why not just place a "stop ring" sleeve on the piston that covers the
pitted area? That will stop it travelling to the point where the
pitted part rides on and damages the seals. It will limit the maximum
lift, but an easy job.

Take care.

Brian Lawson.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus19246 fired this volley in
:

I have a hydraulic cylinder (a tilt cylinder from a 12k forklift) that
is leaking. We took it apart and found that the rod is pitted on the
bottom and that probably tore up the seals.

Repair it, Ig. Try www.baileynet.com. They sell replacement
_everything_, including rods, seals, the whole schlemeil. As long as the
cylinder bore is not pitted, anything else can be replaced more
inexpensively than the whole cylinder. If you can't find it on the
online pages, give them a call.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A former co-worker used to work for a company that repaired and rebuilt
hydraulics for mining equipment. He told me about some place around here
that would re-chrome cylinder rods and grind them to size for around $100
for the size he was getting priced. I figure it might be difficult to buy
the materials and make one much cheaper than that.

Anyway, you may be able to find someone in that area to fix you up for less
money than having something special made.

That same co-worker was one that I was making cylinder rods for, but smaller
than fork lift cylinders. The largest threads I cut for a cylinder rod were
1-1/2 - 7 IIRC. My cnc lathe could cut the ends for smaller cylinders
(3/4-16 TPI on 1" rod) in about 3 minutes per end including the manual tool
change from turning tool to threading tool.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 26, 4:13*pm, Ignoramus19246 ignoramus19...@NOSPAM.
19246.invalid wrote:
I have a hydraulic cylinder (a tilt cylinder from a 12k forklift) that
is leaking. We took it apart and found that the rod is pitted on the
bottom and that probably tore up the seals.

So, my question is, what is the most economical option here, is there
perhaps a CNC based company that custom makes such things?Any other ideas?

Thanks

MSC and Grainger sell Thompson chrome plated steel rods in various
diameters and lengths. The most economical thing for me would be to
get the rod from MSC as there is a store close to me and so no
shipping cost. I assume the end are threaded and that is something
you can do yourself.

Actually for me it would probably be cheaper to get some stainless
steel rod from the scrap yard if I can find the right diameter.
Probably not as good as chrome plated steel, but close enough.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch writes:

Replace it with a new rod
Replace it with a used rod
Have it flame sprayed.

Never heard of flame spraying, but a friend's uncle repairs
up to 16 ft. crankshafts. First a welder builds up the worn
bearings. Then the crankshaft lathe regrinds them. He has to
redrill the oil passages.

I could see something similar on cylinders. No offsets needed
on the lathe.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 15:45:02 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

Gunner Asch writes:

Replace it with a new rod
Replace it with a used rod
Have it flame sprayed.

Never heard of flame spraying, but a friend's uncle repairs
up to 16 ft. crankshafts. First a welder builds up the worn
bearings. Then the crankshaft lathe regrinds them. He has to
redrill the oil passages.

I could see something similar on cylinders. No offsets needed
on the lathe.

Flame spraying is more common on small parts, including smaller
crankshafts. It's been around for at least 70 or 80 years. It's done
with a special O/A torch; you can spray almost any metal. Plasma is
used, too, although that's usually called "plasma spraying."

However, the main use for those techiniques is for repairing expensive
parts. A hydraulic piston rod probably won't be worth it. Cleaning and
prep take some time.

A new rod sounds smarter in this case.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Lesher fired this volley in news:jksn9u$6i3$2
@reader1.panix.com:

Never heard of flame spraying, but a friend's uncle repairs
up to 16 ft. crankshafts. First a welder builds up the worn
bearings. Then the crankshaft lathe regrinds them. He has to
redrill the oil passages.

I could see something similar on cylinders. No offsets needed
on the lathe.

The issue is that machine shop work is more expensive than just buying a
length of chromed rod made to purpose in an automated factory that does
that as its major production item.

I've even seen guys Turcite pitted rods, but it doesn't hold up as long
as they'd like.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus19246" wrote in
message ...
I have a hydraulic cylinder (a tilt cylinder from a 12k forklift)
that
is leaking. We took it apart and found that the rod is pitted on the
bottom and that probably tore up the seals.

So, my question is, what is the most economical option here, is
there
perhaps a CNC based company that custom makes such things?Any other
ideas?

Thanks

Tinley Park
http://www.xtremecylinders.com/